Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm looking to buy a used SV650/S and have been browsing around online to get a feel for the price of the bike. As a new rider I've been advised to get this bike, and used, as it's easy to ride and I'll probably drop it once or twice in the first few months. However, I'm confused.. I was initially very optimistic after checking Kelley Blue Book and seeing a used "good condition" 2003 SV rated at 3020$ in North Jersey. KBB rates the 2001 at just 2500$. This is clearly not the case after shopping around though, what gives? Is KBB way off for motorcyles? Or is the popularity of the bike driving the cost way up? I'm now hoping to find a 2002 with ~6000 miles for about 4000$..

·
Registered
551 Posts
kbb is a bunch of BULL [email protected]! they have the absolute worst price quotes for anything...
the sv is a demanded bike. so that causes the price to increase...

·
Registered
536 Posts
NADA tends to be a little more accurate, IMHO. I recently bought my 2001 SV for just a couple hundred $ less than the NADA price. Also, the NADA guide is what a lot of banks use to determine the value of used vehicles when loaning money. Also, keep in mind that what you'd expect to pay for private party - private party sales is often very different from what you'd expect to pay at a dealer, and neither of those two numbers seem to bear any relation to what you can expect to get when you trade a vehicle in at a dealer. More applicable with cars, I suppose, but the principle is the same w/ bikes.

·
Registered
551 Posts
e lo said:
NADA tends to be a little more accurate, IMHO. I recently bought my 2001 SV for just a couple hundred $ less than the NADA price. Also, the NADA guide is what a lot of banks use to determine the value of used vehicles when loaning money. Also, keep in mind that what you'd expect to pay for private party - private party sales is often very different from what you'd expect to pay at a dealer, and neither of those two numbers seem to bear any relation to what you can expect to get when you trade a vehicle in at a dealer. More applicable with cars, I suppose, but the principle is the same w/ bikes.
+1 with NADA ;)

·
Registered
241 Posts
Go with the same guide that your loan company looks at...NADA
From what I've found...in cars anyways...is that dealerships will use KBB because for autos they seem to be higher but the banks still use NADA. Can lead to a big mess...but anyways.
I don't trust KBB. I always go by NADA...they seem to be more realistic in their values.

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
KBB is basically a book that gets it's info from dealers. All it is , is the avg price a dealer would sell around the country.

G

·
From a car industry guy let me tell you that KBB sucks, and it 's values are worthless. NOBODY goes by it, not even dealers (unless they want to show you how expensive the car your buying is, and what a good deal your getting). Same is true for bikes, NADA is much more accurate...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts