1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Guess I'm not seeing how a cruiser is an "alternative' to a sport bike

·
Super Moderator
3,475 Posts
The Versys is K's alternative to the SV650, and it's a great little sport bike.
Compared to it, the Vulcan uses the same engine, weighs 25# more, has a seat 5" closer to the ground and a 4" longer wheelbase.
Its ergonomic features seem like a good thing for cruising, but it's just not S enough for me:naughty:

·
Registered
496 Posts
Looks like a cool bike, but a completely different animal from an SV. I guess if you were looking for a cruiser it looks like as good a choice as any other.

·
Registered
6,677 Posts
Look where the pegs are! Feet forward is NOT a good riding position IMHO. Yes..it IS a motorcycle, but that's as far as I can go comparing it to an SV.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Yea I had a Vulcan 1600 for a few months, rode it maybe 3 times before I got rid of it. Not even close to being fun for me. It's great for eating up superslab miles but can't corner worth a damn compared to an SV or DRZ (obviously) and I prefer to go fast in a corner, not a straight line.

That and everyone kept asking me if it was a Harley :angry1:

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You need to decide what kind of rider you are... sport or cruise
I am a different rider. I never rode a cruiser though. My SV started giving me headaches so I started thinking out of curiosity about how those cruiser-like things would feel like. To me Vulcan looks awesome and yeah, I like trying different stuff. (said the man who has had his SV for 8 years :icon_biggrin: )).

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
I am a different rider. I never rode a cruiser though. My SV started giving me headaches so I started thinking out of curiosity about how those cruiser-like things would feel like. To me Vulcan looks awesome and yeah, I like trying different stuff. (said the man who has had his SV for 8 years :icon_biggrin: )).

Test ride some bikes before buying.

No, the Vulcan isn't a *bad* bike, but after having ridden many *much* better bikes, I'd never buy one. ESPECIALLY to replace an SV.

Eff that noise.

·
site supporter
6,092 Posts
You need to decide what kind of rider you are... sport or cruise
Well, no. Sometimes you feel like a nut; sometimes you don't.
I've only ever owned my SV, but I can imagine wanting to have a different flavor riding experience. (I can also imagine having enough money to buy several different bikes and cars.) Do you eat only one food? Do you drink only one beverage?
Some cruisers appear ridiculous to me; others don't. But I could say the same about many sportbikes.

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
Oh, I should add that I've ridden several versions of the Vulcan. *None* are in the same class as a SV. And, as a cruiser, I'd hate to have one as my only bike.

I'll eventually own a cruiser again, but only as a secondary (or, more likely, tertiary) bike. I started off on cruisers; got my license on my dad's Harley and owned both an Intruder 800 and 1400.

·
Registered
6,677 Posts
The stretched sportbike isn't nearly as bad handling as many seem to think...but I believe it's because most people who stretch also SLAM...and that is where the funky handling comes from. Of course if you increase the wheelbase 6" it's going to need to lean a little farther over to negotiate the same corner at the same speed, but it's not as crippling as some seem to believe. It is NO limitation on the street! If it actually IS...you are going too fast. However...being able to play drag-racer without worrying about flipping it over and swatting yourself is really fun and to me worth a little cornering compromise. If I get up on the tank mine won't wheelie and will just haze the tire as it scoots along. :)

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
The stretched sportbike isn't nearly as bad handling as many seem to think...but I believe it's because most people who stretch also SLAM...and that is where the funky handling comes from. Of course if you increase the wheelbase 6" it's going to need to lean a little farther over to negotiate the same corner at the same speed, but it's not as crippling as some seem to believe. It is NO limitation on the street! If it actually IS...you are going too fast. However...being able to play drag-racer without worrying about flipping it over and swatting yourself is really fun and to me worth a little cornering compromise. If I get up on the tank mine won't wheelie and will just haze the tire as it scoots along. :)
I feel like I just heard this somewhere this weekend :lmao: :eek:ccasion14:

·
Registered
6,677 Posts
I feel like I just heard this somewhere this weekend :lmao: :eek:ccasion14:
Deja VU! :) That was fun to attend the Gnome Handoff. Had never actually seen a gnome before! Was very surprised at how small they are.:) Pretty cool having 4 SV's in the same parking space...which is 2 more than I've seen around here in the 5 years I've owned mine. Beautiful bikes they are!

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
Me and a buddy traded bikes tonight while out
on a ride. Him on my SFV, me on his V-Strom.
His bike felt like a Gold Wing, while he said mine
was super easy to ride, and flick. Plus he said
mine had a lot more get up and go, while riding
his I noticed the lack of torque. I think his is an
04, and says he'd like a "Glee-Strom!" :icon_biggrin:

Anyway just wanted to share my experience with
the DL650. I will say I could have ridden that bike
a few hundred miles easily!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts