Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ugh. This guy at my work has been talking about buying a motorcycle for a while now, and today he rolled up on a brand spankin new katana 750. ::) I guess all my rants about 250s and 500s or maybe even an sv fell on deaf ears. The best part: his left side fairing and turn signal are already destroyed. He's had it since friday, and since he drove it about 50 miles from the dealership to his house on the highway, i'm pretty sure he isn't following the break in procedures. Now for the questions. I looked at suzuki's website, and it says the engine is derived from the GSXR. Now, what does derived mean? is it way tuned down? is the bike too fast? what are the main problems with it so i can warn him?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Those things are big, fat, heavy pigs. It's not a monster, but it's not exactly the best beginner bike either. Trust me, they are nothing like the newer 750s.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Maritan said:
I believe it is an air cooled engine that early (80s?) GSXRs had.
Air/Oil Cooled if I remember right
It's nowhere near performance of a GSXR, but I believe it's a pretty reliable engine.

·
Registered
720 Posts
A friend of mine has an older 600cc katana, its like a mid-90s I belive...anyways he beats the crap out of it...doesnt take care of it at all and the thing runs like a champ...the handling and brakes are horrible...its weighs a million pounds but it just wont die....really good motors actually ;)

Still ugly as sin tho :eek:

G

·
As others have said, it's directly descended from the original GSXR, the 750 of '85 (IIRC...). It's been "torque-tuned" and the Kat is 100+ lbs heavier than the GSXR was, but it's only slow by comparison with current bikes. It was plenty quick in '85 and it's still quicker than 99% (well, maybe 98%...) of the road traffic now. Not the ideal first bike, but a better first bike than a current SS by a long shot, except for it's weight and size.

Oh well -some people just insist doing things the hard way...

;)

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
My brother has a new katana 750, and its funny how he is a new rider too. You just gotta think...why did they buy this bike? Sure its alright bike, but look at it from their perspective. All their friends are getting bikes, its the cool thing to do these days. Of course bigger is always better. But you're scared of the 1000s. But you also think your friends will pick on you for getting a baby pussy 600, so you see the 750, sitting there, for less than a 600. Oh man gotta have it! I'll fit right in! I wont be looked at like a pussy cause its a FREAKING 750 man! I'm gonna get laid so much.

At least that was my brothers train of thought, hes dumb at times.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the thing is purple. Effing purple. This is the same squid that tried to convince me that in the US every bike from japan (busa, cruisers, etc) are toned down from 1300 +- ccs to 1000, because thats the biggest legal sized engine here. i just don't get it...

·
Registered
203 Posts
the sv is my first street bike and I never never even considered the katana. It's too heavy and too outdated for a brand new bike. It might make a decent tourer. The only reason I chose the sv in the first place was because besides the suspension, it is pretty up with the times as far as technology goes. The only bikes I even considered beside the sv were the fzr600/400 and the ninja500/250.I wanted an older gsx550 but couldn't find one reasonable condition. I really do believe the katana fills a niche, but it seems to attract the wrong people. I really wish people would do their homework befor they buy a bike.

·
Registered
66 Posts
yea everyone kinda bashes up on the katanas for being fat pigs of bikes....I had one for my first bike it was a 600 and believe it or not you can rail some corner on a katana when ridden properly. Now its not as light and flickable as an sv, but still its not that slow. Now thats just 600cc experience. The 750 would stomp the sv in a straight line but thats about it. There are way worse bikes you could pick as a first bike, but thats up to him. You can only lead someone in the right direction, the rest is their decision.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok, I'm officially done trying with this guy. I tried to convince him to put on frame sliders, but he doesn't want to 'wreck the plastics' by drilling holes. :eek:I was like...dood. Your fairings are already trashed. Then i asked him if it was broken in yet and he says, 'yeah, i've already put 160 miles on it.' ::)

·
Registered
500 Posts
At least he is starting off better than a guy I know who bought a Busa as his FRIST bike. Which to me is like taking drivers ed. in a Viper........

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Bster13 said:
U could just wash your hands and direct him to http://www.katanaplanet.com and wash your hands. Any suspect things he posts about will be corrected in short order over there and he can catch on at his own pace.
Is that site still alive..I used to be there when I owned a Katana and then it kept crashing..I heard the owner finally gave up.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I believe the place to go for katana info is
http://www.katriders.com

I own a 750 katana, but it is currently for sale. They really are comfortable and reliable. They are a bit heavy, but still lighter than the new 1700cc yamahas ;)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts