Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Weird situation this morning. I was riding to work with not a ton of fuel in the tank, but the light was still flashing so I wasn't too concerned about it. Coming up to a light that was red I downshifted a couple times, but the light comes green so I roll onto the throttle. As I do so, it sputters and dies. WTF?

I get it over to the median, and it doesn't start right back up. I cycle the kill switch to get it to prime the pump, at this point certain that I'm going to be late for work and miss an important meeting, and when I hit the starter again, lo and behold, it fired right up.

I'm sure this is an impossible question to answer, but why did it sputter on me? I wasn't taking any corners, or going crazy fast, I was in a 35mph residential area just puttering around basically. It seems like it lost fuel pressure, but there was plenty of fuel to get me the next 10 miles to the gas station without a single hiccup.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Sometimes when I go from flat ground to an up/down hill my fuel light will start/stop flashing. Maybe since you were braking what little gas you had was at the front of the tank, and when you gassed it there was no fuel around the pump.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd agree, except I had moments of heavier braking followed by throttle, along with more hilly areas on the rest of my commute where, by all logic, there should be less fuel. It happened on easily the flattest part with fairly gentle decel (again, just downshifting enough to let the lights change).

Odd issue.

·
Registered
6,837 Posts
When the fuel pump inlet screen gets dirty, it won't pump nearly as well when nearly empty than it does when full. The pressure head really helps the pump out, so when you are down to your last gallon the pump has more trouble pulling through the screen. Not hard to pull the pump to look and might save you a bundle if you catch it early.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's not a bad idea, I'll need to check that this winter. Running lean like that is bad for motors regardless when that situation comes up and it sputters dead.

How low does your fuel need to be to be able to pull the pump without dumping fuel everywhere? lol

·
Registered
6,837 Posts
How low does your fuel need to be to be able to pull the pump without dumping fuel everywhere? lol
I think when the fuel light comes on you should be safe. Lay the tank on its' back at an angle with the pump at the bottom and you can get the pump out without an environmental disaster. I use a siphon pump to drain mine when I need to get inside....so the above is a guess. Best bet is to have it empty to be safe.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts