Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
K&N Air Filter Users....

Those of you running K&N Filters on your SV's...or any other bikes...have you ever done a Used Oil Analysis?

How were your results?

I thought about buying a K&N for the SV but I just haven't got around to it yet, though I have one in my vintage Honda CB650SC. I just got an oil report back on the Honda and silicon content was very high and Lead and Iron content was above normal indicating excessive wear of bearings possibly attributed to the high silicon content.

For now, the K&N is getting pulled and an OEM paper filter is going back in at least until I pull another sample at the end of summer and see if there is any change.

Just curious what others might be experiencing.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I use Blackstone Labratories in Fort Wayne, IN. www.blackstone-labs.com. You can go online and they'll send you the sample kits with all the instructions for free. Just do the sample per the instructions and send the kit back via USPS for $1.82, you'll have test results in a little more than a week or so. It's $22. If you want a TBN whch tells you how much additive is left in the oil if your spacing your changes, that's an extra $10. I do the TBN at least once on each machine if I stick with one oil type. If I change types, I would have it checked again.

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
is there any reason why you think this might be caused by the k&n? I have one on my bike as well, but have not done oil analysis. I have read some research that really debunks their product, but since the PO installed the filter I have just kept it on out of convenience.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Silicon can only get in your oil in just a very few ways. The absolute most common way is by dirty air intake. Another less common is it can be a trace of Silicon due to left overs from factory production but this would dissipate in time.

The bike in question is just over 26 years old with about 13k miles on her so the left over factory residue is not terribly likely. The K&N boast maximum airflow for a performance increase but there have been some arguments on issues pertaining to how much particulate these filters allow through while allowing these "gobs" of air to pass as well. Honestly, I was ignorant to the arguments until I received my analysis. The Lab suggested that I immediately check the air filtration on the bike to hopefully pinpoint the source. As I started to research the possible causes, I stumbled on to what may be a can of worms. I'm not looking to debate that issue at this point. My primary concern is I have a vintage engine with considerably low miles for its age in a museum condition bike. The test indicates excessive wear likely do to the high silicon content. I run this bike occasionally and wish to continue to do so but certainly without excessive wear as these parts are just not all that readily replaceable.

The situation also relates to my SV because like I said, I was ready to pull the trigger on a new filter but IF these filters are allowing for this particulate matter to get through, than screw that sh!t because for me, engine longevity is far more important to me than picking up a negligible performance increase. Perhaps on the track bike that I put together hopefully soon, that will be a none issue as I think one expects to be tearing down the power plant on a bike of that sort, just not on my street machine.

Just FYI, I'm currently running an OEM paper element filter in the SV. I'll be testing that oil in about another 1000 miles so that will be real soon. I'm running Mobil 1 4T in both bikes, however. The test results on the vintage Honda came back with excellent results on the Mobil 1 aside from this silicon issue and the wear component likely caused by it. Aside from Iron and Lead which indicate the wear, all the elements tested with excellent results and well above or below universal averages as appropriate. Viscosity was still excellent and the TBN or additive component was still very high meaning the oil had tons of life left in it even after more than a year in the machine.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Holy crap... I didn't know they were that close to me... I can get there in 30 minutes... maybe I'll stop by the lap tomorrow and drop off a sample...

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Holy crap... I didn't know they were that close to me... I can get there in 30 minutes... maybe I'll stop by the lap tomorrow and drop off a sample...

Drink lots of water and turn on the faucet if you're having trouble!

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
I don't use K&N filters. Most bikes these days have pretty good flowing filters and I'd prefer to keep the better filtering.

Tough call with the old Honda, I can't imagine that it will hurt anything...

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Hold -ON.......allow me to DE-Bunk your theory on K&N filters.
I have been running a K&N air filter on my Sv for a little over 70,000mi. w/no mechanical issues whatsoever, i clean & re-oil the air filter once a yr., & change my oil once a yr.
(Amsoil).
I also use them in my cars ,boat &truck....
......the truck (1992 Z-71) has 240,000 K&N miles on it!!

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
There was a thread just like this on another forum i frequent...its archived now and requires paid admision to view so linking would be pointless but there was a guy that was ALL ABOUT K&N filters on there, had them on EVERYTHING with an engine.

He was known on the board as being the K&N backer for years....someone convinced him to do this oil test on all of his vehicles as they would pay for the tests. ALL of his results came back the same as yours, VERY high Silicon content and wear in ALL of his machines. Now maybe it was his environment and without another vehicle of his with an OEM filter to test we really have in-conclusive results, however, he lives in canada...

Just my experience with those tests and K&N filters...i have never ran K&N as the negligable power gains are pointless to me and the cost is outragous. For the amount of time i have my vehicles(i buy them used) i can buy the paper filters i need and come out at half the cost of one of the K&N's

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
I have been running a K&N air filter on my Sv for a little over 70,000mi. w/no mechanical issues whatsoever, i clean & re-oil the air filter once a yr., & change my oil once a yr.
(Amsoil).
Unless you have evidence to back up your claims, yours is just a theory as well. No mechanical issues doesnt mean that there isnt something else going on inside your engine that you cant see.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
(Amsoil).
I drove a 91 Nissan sentra with when i bought it 125k on it wheni sold it at 210k on it and never EVER changed the oil(never added any either). never had any mehcanical issues....actually sold the car for mroe than i paid for it and ran as good as the day i bought it while getting 45mpg

Point is, your one story does NOT in any way debunk the theory that K&N filters let through more particulate than OEM just like my story(which is very true) does not debunk the fact that changing your oil at recomended intervals is healthy for engine longevity..

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
I don't use K&N filters. Most bikes these days have pretty good flowing filters and I'd prefer to keep the better filtering.

Tough call with the old Honda, I can't imagine that it will hurt anything...
+1 On better using the OEM filter.

I'm going back to teh stock filter after running the K&N 2500 miles. The rubber from The K&N crackt and i don't trust it any more.

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
i thought he/we were talking abooot the OIL FILTER not the air filter....

at $11-12+, you can keep it!! for $6+- i'll stick to the OE filter...

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
I have never understood the point of a K&N for the SV. The stock paper filter and air box are reasonably efficient and work well. Risking extra engine wear for a zero performance gain seems silly, to me. Sure, the K&N is reusable, but it costs a lot more, and there is extra maintenance involved.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I used a K&N filter on my bike, I can't really tell any difference b/t my OEM or this K&N. I've had it in for 6000 miles and all I noticed is that I get worse gas milage. I'll prob go back to OEM, i just don't like changing the filters.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I've had it in for 6000 miles and all I noticed is that I get worse gas milage.
So far I have been running the K&N for about 1000 miles and havent noticed any milage loss. I consistantly get about 50 MPG but that doesnt mean that it isn't negatively effecting the engine. I am going to do the test when my next oil change to see if I have the same results.

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
I trust k&n filters myself i have one on my car, my truck and my bike. I have heard a few people talk bad about them on some forums but i have never had any bad luck myself.
I put one in my wife's old BMW 325i once (K&N Air Filter) and it immediately threw a CEL and didn't run as well so I took it back out. Worst $40 I ever spent.

I've used nothing but OEM factory paper filters in all my vehicles since that incident.

From what I've read the K&N offers zero improvement in the SV650 over the stock paper filter.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts