Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else Installed a K&N airfilter, and a DYNOJET kit? If so what settings are you using. Keep in mind this is with stock exhaust. I have my bike currently setup to drop in the K&N as soon as it arrives. I had performed the snorkelectomy but I discovered from fellow svriders that I was flowing too much air for a stock exhaust. Dynojet says 3 turns on A/F screw, 3rd clip on needles and 140 mains. I tried taping off the stock filter many different ways but still couldn't get it to run perfect. Dynojet says that if you are running the stock filter, use 134 mains, and if you are using a K&N, use 140 mains. Why is this such a big jump, and why won't it run properly with the stock taped off? My dad's ZX-11 runs perfect now with it's dynojet setting, and the jetting was the same when he was running the stock filter. My KLR 650 was the same way(I eventually put a Laser exhaust on it).any insight would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Since you are in the 99-02 pages I figure you have one those, I have a 2002 and I did the 140 mains but only 2 1/2 fuel adjusting...runnin desnorkeled filter, want to get a K&N this winter.  I also did the drilling of the exhaust baffle, since I have an extra exhaust layin around.  Might I ask what the exact problem is, because I had slight hesitation around 5-6,000 rpm with some bad lag too, did you sync the carbs??  Could be that?  Either way, it took a little fiddling with the fuel screws to get it right for me. And now I'm much happier... ;D

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
My 2002 came with a de-snorkled filter, sotck exhaust... the carbs had 150 mains (mikuni) and 2 shims on the needle, I don't know what the AF screws were set to. The bike ran 100% and made great power, the spark plugs always looked perfect.

The de-snorkled stock filter defly flows better than the K&N, even a de-snorkled K&N. I tried all of them and finally went with a BMC race filter, full exhaust, cams & 162.5 Mikuni jets.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I heard nothing but bad things bout K&N flters, imma stick to BMC racing air filters!

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
The K&N's fine if what you want is a washable, barely better than stock item. If you actually want to make a big difference then you either want to look at the BMC Race RS (NOT the Race, the RS is the open top one), desnorkeled stock filter, or dispense with the airbox altogether. K&N's just not worth the money when there's bette rfor the same IMO.

Likewise the DJ kit- I found the suggested jets completely inappropriate. The Stage 1 kit gives you very little for your money. The stage 1&3 kit is a little better but very few people are happy with the suggested jets. I had to buy extra ones, the set renages from (I think) 136 (why?!) to 146, then jumps to 18 and 190. Well, with a good system and filter, you're likely to be 150-175. Considering that what you really pay for witha DJ kit is the design and spec, not the actual parts, that's just rubbish. The parts themselves are absolutely fine, and with a little work you can get a good result, but again, there's better.

So what to use/ i'd say if you have a stock can or slipon, look at Factory Pro's kit. If you have a race system and you're shopping for filter and jet kit, consider JHS Racing's Stage 2 DJ kit- it's a modified DJ kit with a better setup, and includes the hard-to-find Race RS filter. £150 UK though so not cheap, but it could save you a lot of time and potentially money in set up.

And people speak very highly of Ivan's jet kits, though I've not tried them.

Lastly, if you're just dong filter and slip-on, I'd consider just shiming the needles and getting bigger jets, you'd get most of hte benefit for a fraction of the cost.

·
Registered
88 Posts
pacmann33 said:
Has anyone else Installed a K&N airfilter, and a DYNOJET kit? If so what settings are you using. Keep in mind this is with stock exhaust. I have my bike currently setup to drop in the K&N as soon as it arrives. I had performed the snorkelectomy but I discovered from fellow svriders that I was flowing too much air for a stock exhaust. Dynojet says 3 turns on A/F screw, 3rd clip on needles and 140 mains. I tried taping off the stock filter many different ways but still couldn't get it to run perfect. Dynojet says that if you are running the stock filter, use 134 mains, and if you are using a K&N, use 140 mains. Why is this such a big jump, and why won't it run properly with the stock taped off? My dad's ZX-11 runs perfect now with it's dynojet setting, and the jetting was the same when he was running the stock filter. My KLR 650 was the same way(I eventually put a Laser exhaust on it).any insight would be appreciated.
My 2002 SVS has a full Muzzy, K&N filter and DJ kit with 144 mains and DJ other recommended settings and the bike runs very well for me. No complaints at all, so far.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Ok there is more to jetting than just the main jet guys. Idle, idle adjustment, mixture screw, needle, main, slide drill, air filter, exhaust... you get the idea.

Pacman
When you say you cant get the bike to run right its very vague. Can you describe where the problem is (what RPM) and what it is doing at that RPM? Its impossible to try and help you if we understand the problem :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts