Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to biking and working on bikes, so bear with me here while I try to learn what the crap I'm doing.  LOL!

I installed a new K&N air filter yesterday.  Pricey, but supposed to yield better performance, etc.....right?

When we cranked the bike up after install, it just didn't sound as good as it did with the standard filter.  Does something need to be done as far as setup/adjustments on something else to handle the increased airflow?  I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do now.  Wondering if I should have just gone with a standard air filter.  Bike has Yoshi exhaust.

If it matters.....we changed the spark plugs out at the same time.

Any help or advice is appreciated.

Thanks.

N

·
0 Posts
Conventional wisdom has it that there is no power gain with the K&N and possibly even a very slight loss. If you take this as true (I do) you're not moving any additional air so you shouldn't need to make any significant changes in your carb setup. If you've already jetted appropiately for the Yoshimura pipe or can and it runs well I'd leave it alone.

If just you swapped the stock filter and snorkel out for the K&N you'll get more intake roar -that's what the snorkel is there to reduce (noise emissions).

:)

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
I've used the following filters...

K&N
Desnorkled K&N
De-snorkled stock
BMC race

They flow in the order listed above.  To yield any performance gains you need to re-jet.  I'd suggest 2 shims on the needles, 145-150 mains and 2 to 2.5 turns out on the idle jet screw. 

My 2002 came with de-snorkled OEM filter, stock exhaust and the carb settings above with 150 mains... and it ran like a champ.

N

·
0 Posts
donniej said:
I've used the following filters...

K&N
Desnorkled K&N
De-snorkled stock
BMC race

They flow in the order listed above."
Are they listed from worst to best, with the BMC being the best?

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have access to a dyno. The K and N filter definitely causes a power loss over the stock filter. Its only 2 RWHP but 2 is still a loss. This was after a very frustrating jetting session on the dyuno

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So, in your opinions......would you just go with a different filter altogether?? The shop I got this K&N from will take it back and swap it out for something else. Based on what I've learned in the past two days, that may be the wiser situation for now.

N

·
0 Posts
frosty said:
"...Its only 2  RWHP   but  2 is still a loss...."
I'll take those 2 hp, if you don't want 'em ;) =3% power loss just from an air filter! The baseline run (the run that you compared the K&N to) was with the Suzuki OEM filter?

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
TrackBitch2B said:
So, in your opinions......would you just go with a different filter altogether??  The shop I got this K&N from will take it back and swap it out for something else.  Based on what I've learned in the past two days, that may be the wiser situation for now. 
I'd reccomend de-snorkled stock, you will need to rejet.

If you're trying to get balls-to-the-walls performance, I'd do a BMC but only with a FULL exhaust and big jets (I gotz 165 front, 162.5 rear).

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tremendous performance isn't so much an issue at the moment. I'm just getting started. I just wanted a good quality filter to do the service. When I start doing track days then perf. will be important. I'm just trying to decide if going through the whole re-jetting issue is what I need to do right now.

·
Registered
73 Posts
donniej said:
I'd reccomend de-snorkled stock, you will need to rejet.

If you're trying to get balls-to-the-walls performance, I'd do a BMC but only with a FULL exhaust and big jets (I gotz 165 front, 162.5 rear).
can you tell me why in the tips & tricks section on snokling, it says to desnorkle only with a full system exhaust?

http://www.geocities.com/catpoopman/sv650_snorkel.html

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
you can desnorkle with stock exhaust. My 2002 was desnorkled with stock exhaust and the carb settings I mentioned above and it ran like a champ.

If you're doing track days I can not suggest strongly enough to get good safety gear, good suspension and good rubber before the HP mods. In racing and especially track days, HP will get you nothing.... suspension however is where the party's at ;)

·
Registered
73 Posts
donniej said:
you can desnorkle with stock exhaust. My 2002 was desnorkled with stock exhaust and the carb settings I mentioned above and it ran like a champ.

If you're doing track days I can not suggest strongly enough to get good safety gear, good suspension and good rubber before the HP mods. In racing and especially track days, HP will get you nothing.... suspension however is where the party's at ;)
cool... i gonna try it... mainly to hear what is sounds like ;D

·
Registered
113 Posts
Id suggest you are better off with the stock filter unless you are modifying the bike.

·
Registered
88 Posts
donniej said:
If you're doing track days I can not suggest strongly enough to get good safety gear, good suspension and good rubber before the HP mods.  In racing and especially track days, HP will get you nothing.... suspension however is where the party's at  ;)
Very well said Donnie. Get the bike running good and then get it to handle properly and get yourself outfitted right. That said, I'm happy with the performance with my SVS with full Muzzy, K&N filter and jet kit... and new BT014's front and rear....now on to suspension mods and I'll be happier. Sweating the K&N vs. stock filter and desnorkling, etc. is not high on my priority list. Least not now. Tom

·
Registered
229 Posts
I always find these air filter threads informative, and a little perplexing.

1ST: when I first joined SVrider I heard of TWO generations of K & N filters (kinda like the SV). The 1st gen. filters dropped the dyno measure, but the second gen. increased it very slightly - Right or Wrong??

2nd: I agree that you can de-snorkel a STOCK SV filter, but NOT the K & N I have on my bike. The stock SV literally had a snorkel down inside the air filter. The K&N has no snorkel, just an opening in the top.

So, just for kicks, I opened up my K&N filter as much as I could (removed nearly all of the top portion of the filter cage). I want to see if this has an effect on performance. I am riding my bike to work tomorrow and will report back.

Although, if you enlightened few could shed a little more light on the information on the whole K&N 1st vs. 2nd gen (if there is such a thing), and how you desnorkel and UN-snorkeled filter. I would appreciate it. I have only owned my SV for 15 months and would like as much performance as I can get (at least not lose any).

Thanks!

N

·
0 Posts
There's an article in the tips section that talks about the first version of K&N filter, avec snorkel. It sounds like you have the same filter as me, the second version.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Here is the ride to work review on the OPEN 2nd gen. K&N filter. The bike actually feels smoother at constant throttle setting/lower RPMs. However when you are at WFO there is a slight surge at the beginning of the upper RPM range. I am going to venture a guess that the main circuit is LIKING the increased air available to it. I would say, and of course I am hoping, that I feel a slight increase in power in the upper RPM range.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have mine sitting in my living room. You guys are saying it's ok to just stick it in there without f'king with the carb or vice-versa? I was going to replace the stock one during my oil change this weekend.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts