Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, '99 track bike

Ran fine all day at the track. Tried to crank it after a week....turns over, no start. This has happened once before. Last time, I replaced the plugs with fresh NGKs and off to Grandmother's house we went.

This time, it starts and will idle but dies as soon as the throttle is cracked. It is idling on both cylinders. I checked fuel flow and it is getting plenty.

Ideas??

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
Have you looked at the plugs again for fouling or excessive wear? How did you get it to start if it wouldn't start after the week initially? When idling, if you give it some choke, will it die as well similar to adding throttle?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I replaced the plugs. Plugs look fine. When choke is added, it raises the idle then starts to choke up and dies.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is the battery okay? Maybe the slides are sticking. Might be time to pull the carbs.
Battery is fine, on tender.

The carbs were just rebuilt about 12 months ago. Baffled. I suppose they will have to come off again this weekend...

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
UPDATE:

This may aid some other helpless souls.

So, I cleaned the carbs and put them back on.....same thing.

Frustrated, I took the bike to my mechanic who pulled the carbs and cleaned them some more......same thing.

He pulled the carbs again and this time he said the gas "felt" weird. This is where experience comes in. He drained the tank into a clear container and voila....two separate liquids. One part gasonline, one part water.

I remember back to track day, and I was too tired to unload the bike. That night, it pissed it down. Apparently, Vortex spin on caps are not water tight!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts