Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well fellas.........i'm out. for awhile.

i really hate posting this kind of stuff up, but i just want to be that reminder to all members here, to pay attention and practice ATGATT.

my girlfriend left for laredo today for the weekend and i was on my way home to go to church with my folks around 6pm.

a guy in a truck w/ a trailer tailgating another truck decides to make a statistic out of me by doing a left hand turn in front of me on FM1976 in converse. of course you couldn't see me fugger, you were tailgating that truck and must've forgotten you had a trailer in tow as well. i'm braking HARD and swerve between the trailer and oncoming traffic. i had a loss of traction in the rear and the front wasn't looking 100% either. before i could throttle out of it when i was in the clear to get upright it was way late and i laid it down.

had i not been wearing boots, gloves, jacket, helmet, it would have been worse.

so the guy stopped down the street where he turned left and then keeps driving. the truck that was being tailgated stopped and turned around. i was getting up and starting pointing in the direction of the truck that was basically trying to flee. he stopped him and told him, you better be turning around, we already have your license plate.

4 converse police cars, an ambulance, and almost the entire converse fire brigade show up. its a bit embarrassing at this point, i'm fine, nothing broken or anything. two more people showed up and gave statements along with the guy that was being tailgated to help corroborate what happened. my dad says God spared you son, especially since you were intending to go to church. and the truth is, i'm very thankful.

i'm A-okay, thanks to gear and keeping some amount of focus during the ordeal. as for the SV, i have a cracked tail section, cracked upper fairing, broken mirror, rashed lower, broken footpeg (vortex), bent clip on, broken clutch lever, dented and rashed gas tank. freshly serviced & upgraded forks may be questionable.

slider spools from vertical horizons did a good job of protecting the axle. R&G sliders were ground down on 2 spots on the puck, did their job well without bending the bracket or crushing the threads. reason why the plastics were so rashed up was because the bike slid from the road downwards (sliding topfirst into a ditch.)

so after a revelation in the garage at home looking over the SV, i'm thinking about trackdays & sunday rides only now. no more commuting for me.

here's a shot of the bike TODAY, after getting the forks serviced/upgraded with racetech .85 springs & gold valve emulators. and some powdercoat for bling:

and here's the post accident pics:

helmet:

ATGATT.

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
Glad to hear you're ok. I guess god didn't think it was your time to clock out yet.

Just wait and see... you'll shake it off and commute again.

ATGATT

tk

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
OMMFG! dude! Jesus man, that sucks bawls big time, I hope your insurance takes care of that.

·
Registered
143 Posts
very glad your ok, and sorry to hear about this misfortune. i really hope it is declared his fault on the insurance claim.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Glad to see you're alright! Best wishes on repair/replacement of the SV as well!

ATGATT +1

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Glad you're okay!
I'm cryin' for your bike, Bro! :'(

The before and after pic and you didn't really get a chance to enjoy the springs and emu's! :'(

R&G's FTW!!!

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Glad your ok man....

·
Registered
47 Posts
glad your ok... gear gear gear dress for the fall not the ride. see these guys around here all the time with just a tshirt on.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks for all the words of encouragement.

and yes, baby Jesus is crying.

i didn't mention this, but he was driving a company truck......and with the witnesses, the circumstance, the police officer saw it in my favor----i hope both insurance companies take this into account or i'm seeing Jim 'The Hammer' Adler come monday morning.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Yeah...that guy is good. He sued the 2 deer that took me off my SV last October......took them for everything they had, the bass-tards. Last I saw of 'em they were homeless and living in the wild.

I hope they're cold tonight.

·
Premium Member
3,662 Posts
Wait untill someone turns in front of you at an intersection... 50 or 60km -0 km in 1 second is great fun... I got lucky and went over the hood this time... but when you think of how bad it could have been... it makes you think twice about riding in traffic... or even riding at all sometimes...

But then you could die a thousand other ways too.. so just put it out of your mind and learn from it... and watch for shiddy cases like this...

in my case I am paranoid now.. I am always flashing my lights at people who could turn in front of me from side streets or are in a turning lane etc...

I try to get away from other cars and when I see people doing stuff like cell talking or not watching the road... tailgaiting, weaving in the lane etc.. I make sure to get the hell away from them...

I also keep an eye on my rear mirror and when I see someone comming up behind I start flashing my brakes with an irregular pattern to hopefully wake the moron up

you know the ones talking on the cell phone , working their computer/blackberry, applying makeup while eating coffee and chicken wings and trying to change their pants all at the same time...

I find sunday drivers even worse though... for some reason they are drunk or high or something and are too busy looking around rather than driving...

I couldn't give up the bike though... and it didn't kill me this time... nor you apparently ;D

If your luck continues... just think of all the mods you can make with the insurance pay-out ;D

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
wait, sunday and track only? didn't this happen on a sunday?
on a friday. on my way to church for easter service.

i didn't mention this before, but there's a cemetery/graveyard by that intersection (gibbs sprawl rd & miller rd.) i went down >30ft from the fence line. the irony is way too sharp for me, so most likely sundays & trackdays only.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts