Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just passing time until I can purchase some Dymags, probably next year. Traded a 2014 V-Strom 1000 for this new 2017 SV that had been on the showroom floor for 3 years. Bought the V-Strom in 2017, saw a red SV650 then and thought it looked great, at the time I was doing longer rides, now it's shorter and wanted a smaller bike.

Had the K-Tec shock and Traxxion Dynamics AR25 set-up ordered in the first week. Went with 4 piston calipers & master cylinder off a 2006 SV1000 along with the SV Racing caliper adapters. Once that was done CoreMoto stainless lines, by then had about 300 miles on it. Slip on was next and took several months before deciding to get a Black Widow header and Superbike Unlimited ECU tune. Thought this was going to be an inexpensive bike, can never leave anything alone. Several orders from ProBolt replacing most fasteners with black coated Ti or aluminum. For the occasional trip added Heppco Beker C-Bow luggage system and tank bag. Rizoma tapered handlebars and master cylinder fluid reservoirs. Yoshimura turn signals and muffler hanger my wife doesn't ride with me. Liked the looks of the seat but couldn't ride to far, being old has some disadvantages added the Corbin and it's awesome. A couple of orders from Webike Japan for some carbon fiber from A-Tech, all were backordered for some time, the lower frame cover was 5 months. Luggage rack also came from Webike Japan, seems I always need to carry something and keep a cover in the tail-bag for the days I ride it to work. Was happier with the front brakes but still not great, added the petal rotors and seemed to help a bit. Always use bar-end mirrors and have CRG's on everything else so what the heck, got a set for the SV. The latest and probably the last until I can get Dymags was Ti axles from 707 Racing, probably should have gone with aluminum on the front, would have been a bit lighter and less expensive. Oh wait, just ordered Ti bolts for the rear suspension linkage, think that's going to finish it off for a while. Starting work on a new project, and after that an LS in the GMC Canyon. My wife says I can retire but can't stay home, might as well work and spend money.:rolleyes:

Funny thing is a good upgrade for a KLR is to use the stock SV650 front caliper, that combined with a Brembo 13mm master cylinder and stainless lines transforms it.

Yep I have a problem but it's fun, almost 1,500 mile on the SV in the last 11 months, combine miles of all bikes and I'm riding about 7k miles annually.

·
Registered
2000 SV650 N
626 Posts
Beautiful motorcycle Salty. You obviously put a lot of thought into your modifications, with most being performance-focused, rather than cosmetic. I like that.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Beautiful bike, I like the upgrades! Can't wait to here from you regarding the Dymags, and how it effects the ride.
707 also makes a sprocket carrier, shaves 5 + oz.
Have you considered removing some of the plastic? The two pieces up front, the radiator covers, and the left side piece holding the radiator hose which does nothing, just looks off. I ended up removing all the plastic off my bike except for the tail section and plastic around the headlight. I got my inspiration from LWT's endurance racer. My red frame looks great not covered, the same for the black. I think it improved the dated look of the bike.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not mentioned but have the lightweight sprocket carrier. Will look at removing the radiator hose plastic, hadn't considered - thanks. Anticipate the lightweight wheels making a big difference, have replaced wheels on some other bikes and it's surprising how much quicker the handling is. Also improves braking with the reduced rotating mass, acceleration is improved but hard to measure. Lightweight axles/rotors/rotor bolts/spacers are great but still have the weight on outside of the rim.

The red frame looks great, the frame design is what I liked on the first look.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'm not positive, but it appears you might have swapped front calipers to
a 4-piston version. Depending on the variant (NISSIN/Tokico) you used,
you can shed some more weight with some Ti pistons and related mounting
bolt hardware.

I used Ti mounting bolts coated in DLC from ProBolt on the conversion I did for my son's bike.

Hope this helps you spend your money :)

T.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm not positive, but it appears you might have swapped front calipers to
a 4-piston version. Depending on the variant (NISSIN/Tokico) you used,
you can shed some more weight with some Ti pistons and related mounting
bolt hardware.

I used Ti mounting bolts coated in DLC from ProBolt on the conversion I did for my son's bike.

Hope this helps you spend your money :)

T.
Thanks for heads-up on caliper pistons, the mounting bolts, caliper pinch bolts, & bleeder are already Ti. Found Ti pistons at titan for a couple other bikes too.

It does help, I buy inexpensive and then spend too much, more satisfying than getting a high end bike and leaving alone.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts