Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered a Black Gladius. It is due in early next week. Last week was the first time that I saw the bike. It was much more impressive in person, and after seeing some of the mods on this site, I decided to go with it. I haven't ridden in 10 years, so I am happy to be returning to the sport after a long time off. The last bike I had was a 1994 FZR 600 - anyone remember this bike? Can anyone tell me how the Gladius compares to the FZR? The guy at the dealership said the Gladius would smoke my old FZR. ???

·
Registered
393 Posts
I just ordered a Black Gladius. It is due in early next week. Last week was the first time that I saw the bike. It was much more impressive in person, and after seeing some of the mods on this site, I decided to go with it. I haven't ridden in 10 years, so I am happy to be returning to the sport after a long time off. The last bike I had was a 1994 FZR 600 - anyone remember this bike? Can anyone tell me how the Gladius compares to the FZR? The guy at the dealership said the Gladius would smoke my old FZR. ???
I loved my 91 fzr600 it was a great bike I put 80k on her before I let her go to my brother. As for a gladius smoking an fzr I think not both weigh close to the same and the fzr had 20 more hp but the gladius would probably smoke the fzr off the line by the time you hit the end of second the fzr would fly past.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the welcome. I am glad to be back riding again. A far as the FZR comment - I was right with you - the FZR had 100 hp and a top speed of 145 mph. As I've gotten older, I was looking for a sport bike that had a more upright riding position. I think the Gladius is perfect match. I would like to thank everyone on this site for the pictures of the new bikes, especially the ones with modifications - it really helped me decide on the Gladius over other bikes.

·
Premium Member
5,615 Posts
Salespeople lie.

But the Gladi is still a cool bike - looking forward to seeing how you mod it after being inspired by others here. :)

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Like others I will be doing the fender eliminator and adding a slip on. Anyone know if Two Brothers is developing a pipe. Two Brothers pipes have a nice deep throaty sound. Does anyone know of a pipe that is currently offered for the gladius that has a simliar sound to the Two Brothers sound?

·
Premium Member
942 Posts
You sound like me! It's been ten years for me as well. I crashed in 1999 on my Suzuki RF900. Swore I'd never ride again. Ten years later I'm on the Gladius. Good luck!

Where are you located?

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
I had a FZR600, after I sold it I went for a ride with the new owner. He was a noob and it was his first bike. While on our ride we agreed for a drag race to see which was faster. From 0 - 100mph we were *really* close. IMO, the FZR should be faster.

The SFV being a V twin makes its power very differently though. It's got a lot more power down low and in the mid range. The biggest difference will be the engine braking, when you let off the gas the first time it will probably feel like you're going to go over the bars compared to the FZR :)

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had a FZR600, after I sold it I went for a ride with the new owner. He was a noob and it was his first bike. While on our ride we agreed for a drag race to see which was faster. From 0 - 100mph we were *really* close. IMO, the FZR should be faster.

The SFV being a V twin makes its power very differently though. It's got a lot more power down low and in the mid range. The biggest difference will be the engine braking, when you let off the gas the first time it will probably feel like you're going to go over the bars compared to the FZR :)[/QUOTE

Do you mean that the bike is jumpy and rough to ride even at lower speeds? Or do you mean if your getting on and off real hard in the high rpms? As an older guy I was looking for a smooth ride and don't really plan on running it hard. Well, at least not real hard most of the time :)

·
Premium Member
5,615 Posts
Do you mean that the bike is jumpy and rough to ride even at lower speeds? Or do you mean if your getting on and off real hard in the high rpms? As an older guy I was looking for a smooth ride and don't really plan on running it hard. Well, at least not real hard most of the time :)
It is very, very smooth and easy to ride in town. The broad spread of torque and the almost perfectly linear power delivery makes it easy to manage. Very sweet motor.

All he's saying is that the flipside of that torque is back-torque if you snap the throttle shut. It will not take you long at all to learn to manage the throttle and clutch to have a very smooth ride on any of the SV, DL, or SFV 650's.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts

The SFV being a V twin makes its power very differently though. It's got a lot more power down low and in the mid range. The biggest difference will be the engine braking, when you let off the gas the first time it will probably feel like you're going to go over the bars compared to the FZR :)[/QUOTE

I wouldn't say it's jumpy or rough to ride at lower speeds in fact I'd say the opposite. It's quiet smooth lower down the rev range. But if you close the throttle sharply it can be a bit jerky.

You beat me to it Syscrush.

Madjohn.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts