Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be tackling my cam adjustment soon. 38k miles on the bike and it's never been done, so I'm sure the exhaust cams are running a bit tight.

The kit comes with numerous shims, so I'll be able to do more than one bike.

So, if you want your bike done, we'll figure out a time when you can come over and we can dedicate a few hours to it.

There's only one problem...Your bike needs to be cold when done. As in several hours cold.

So...Either trailer your bike over (renting a U-haul truck for the day is actually pretty cheap. Or drop your bike off the night before (or a few days before).

If you want it done, I'll ask just a small favor...a donation to help cover the cost of the shims? Would $15 or so be too much to ask?

Let me know.

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh, hell, I don't mind. I enjoy working on bikes and helping out my friends in the area.

J-Dog and I are roommates. Between the two of us, we have nearly every tool in our garage needed for most work needed on the SV. We regularly have local members over to change tires, swap out shocks, springs, wiring problems, you name it.

The only downside to it (and it isn't for me) is that the guys have to wait until I'm available, on a very tight schedule, if they want to come over. We typically try to schedule a "Maintenance Day" every other month or so for everybody to get together to shoot the breeze and get work done for free.

·
Lifer
5,220 Posts
I'll be over. For the front tire (is it still in your yard? lol) and the shimmys (though I bet I just need a check). Lemme know when you're actually going to tear into your motor and do it. I wanna learn this really badly. $15 is nothing. You'll probably have a tip from me. ;D

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
just wondering, cant you measure the old shims, and place them back into the shim kit in the appropriate place? ???
Yes. Most shims are marked anyways so you dont need to measure. Everytime I've done a valve adjustment I just swap shims with a friend or a local dealer.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Well, it's possible for the shims to get worn down, but I wouldn't worry too much about it. One of mine had the marking worn off, so I had to measure it anyway. They are definitely reusable though.

·
Premium Member
2,654 Posts
02svrider and I wound up buying a kit this weekend, but he needed 7 shims(after 34K and a cam swap)
Definatly a nice thing to have though

·
Premium Member
1,291 Posts
I will be using 8 of them so I figured ordering a kit was my best option. All of mine were on the bottom of the spec. One of them was .001 out (below spec). Since I am doing one, I am doing them all to middle of the spec.

·
Premium Member
1,291 Posts
Got the kit today. Jesus, 2 containers? Now I know why they are 89 dollars.

I thought there were 5 of each size but I see it is only 3 of each size. I am a little worried in case I need more than 3 of one size but I guess since they are in .05mm increments I will be OK.

May have to start a thread for people that need shims. Got this expensive ass kit sitting here when I only need a fraction of what is in it. Wonder what an easy way of trying to get back just some of the costs would be.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts