Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OMG. Seriously, if you ride the canyons and think you're having a blast, just go on the track! I went to Streets of Willow with my friends. Wind speeds were 30mph, cold as hell, and we all still had a blast.

I started out in the C group (beginner) since I had never done a track day and I didn't know how fast everyone was going to be. It was a mild pace so I could get used to the track. I definitely didn't drag a knee.

Everything was so unorganized by the shop running it that I ended up going into B group on the next session accidentally. Definitely my kind of pace. I still wasn't dragging a knee though, and I felt like I could have been. I ran 2 more sessions after this and finally had a friend video tape me on my 4th session of the day.

Having my friend video tape me was the best thing I could have ever done. I completely saw how I wasn't getting off the bike enough and how to change my grip. On my 5th session I was tearing up the track. Dragging a knee in most of the turns, even on the bowl.

As I was ending that session I was screaming in my helmet because I was so excited. I ran a few more sessions after that with my friends and I was dragging a knee in every turn. My knee pucks are worn half way down and my Pilot Power 2CT's are eaten up on the sides, especially the right side from the bowl.

Before the track I dragged a knee one time in 3 years of riding, and that was like a little nick that sent me popping up on my bike and getting squirly. I felt 100% safer dragging a knee through turns and my speed improved immensely.

So, to everyone who hasn't done a track day, GET OUT THERE!!! I never thought I would have that much fun. Six or seven sessions may not seem like a lot, but wow, I was EXHAUSTED at the end of the day.

Specs:

• 2008 SV650N
  • No mods
  • Sliders
  • Michelin Pilot Power 2CT's -If you are riding stockers you are missing out on another world.
  • Full Gear
  • New RF-1000 Picotte - Made me go at least 20mph faster :roflmao:

I'll try to get some pics and vids up over the weekend.

edit: Video #1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmRKLa0kGW0

·
Registered
459 Posts
sounds like a blast... get some pics up

·
Registered
794 Posts
Sounds awesome. I'd definitely like to get to a track someday. However, since it's addicting, and can eat your money faster than the hamburglar can eat a stack of big mac's, I'll have to wait awhile. :(

·
Registered
76 Posts
It's more addicting than heroin and just as expensive. Glad you had fun. Been doing track days for years and still love it at 53 yrs old. I plan on still getting my knee down when I'm 60.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
What'd it end up costing you.

·
Registered
33 Posts
NIce to here a Great report. I'm plannin to go to a track day this year. All I neened was a little more encouragement. Thanks

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Track day itself was $100. But, I split a hotel, gas, food, etc. Total cost to get me to the track was:

$100 for Track day
$300 for new tires (had stockers on before)
$130 for back protector (required)
$39 to get tires changed (friend had all tools and was a good learning experience)
$45 hotel
$30 gas
$25 food

total cost $644. But, next time I won't need tires or back protector, so cost will go down to $175 or so. Much cheaper than a speeding ticket + insurance costs going p and 100x more fun.

·
Registered
69 Posts
+1 for awesome trackdays.

What until you upgrade your suspension. It will be like a whole new bike after that! :D

·
Registered
13,319 Posts
Track day itself was $100. But, I split a hotel, gas, food, etc. Total cost to get me to the track was:

$100 for Track day
$300 for new tires (had stockers on before)
$130 for back protector (required)
$39 to get tires changed (friend had all tools and was a good learning experience)
$45 hotel
$30 gas
$25 food

total cost $644. But, next time I won't need tires or back protector, so cost will go down to $175 or so. Much cheaper than a speeding ticket + insurance costs going p and 100x more fun.
^The reason I have yet to do a track day.

·
Registered
74 Posts
winds were at 30mph, so was very hard to film.
Back in mah day! We had to make Vid-eh-yahs out of scrap bits of toilet paper and charcoal! And draw in 60+ MPH winds!

Wed rig em all togetha and make them PICTCHA Books you kids like deez days.
We din't have no fancy vid-eh-yah Cammers.

J/K...

Glad to hear about the trackday man, You were getting it on in the vid <3

How did you fair against that Motard?

·
Registered
261 Posts
What was the tech and gear inspection like? Im hitting the track for the first time in June.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts