Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,
I've been reading this board for a few months... and decided to get a SV650 once I finished the MSF course.   So two weekends ago I successfully finished up the MSF course, and yesterday I picked up a red '06 naked SV650.   This is my first street bike (had a dirt bike for a while) so I'm still taking it real easy, but I now have ~60 miles on her and I have to say I'm definitely excited about my new toy.    So far, so great....   :-*

I really can't imagine learning to ride w/o the MSF course.  It's definitely not the end all and you really need to focus on riding w/ traffic, but I highly recommend it to anyone starting out.  In the last two days of riding around, I've been constantly using the skills, techniques, and mindset that I developed in the class....

I ended up paying about MSRP (including all their fees) + I need to register it & pay tax at the DMV.   Given the small market here in ABQ, NM, I really didn't have too much choice.  Perhaps I could have gotten a better deal, but we originally started out around $6600 & I had to work to get it down to MSRP (including walking out the first day) and I did shop around at a few other dealers, w/o much luck.   The additional hassle from driving a far distance to pick up a bike or buy it off the internet just doesn't make sense when you're about 450 miles from the next nearest mid/large city.   There's just not much out here....    ::)   Likewise for used SVs either....   So anyhow, I'm happy and feel I got a reasonable deal on a brand new bike.... 

Anyhow, here's some pictures....

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Nudist said:
Congrats!  Welcome to the fam! 

Naked is better :)
HECK YES!!!

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
enrico vespa said:
I like the red, red looks good on the SV.

Word has it that Suzuki stopped the production of the candy Blue SV's, because of the increased horsepower the blue was capable of.
hmmm i've never ridden any thing but a blue sv but i have to say that the blue sv's are deffinetly fast. if i mix some blue paint in with the gas i can smoke busa's off the line every time ;)

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks... I ordered some motosliders yesterday. Almost dropped it just moving it around in the garage... luckily I managed to keep it upright... but I'll rest better with some sliders on there... :)

·
BANNED!!!
4,805 Posts
Man, there's something about dropping or almost dropping a new bike. I've seen lots of stories where guys drop their new or new to them bike at either a really slow speed or moving it. When I got my second bike I almost dropped it in the grass taking it out of the truck. :-\ It's like a curse or something.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
MorgothSauron said:
Congratulations ! It looks really good in red  :p
red is deffinetly a good coor on it. myfirst pick is blue obivously but i think its a tough call between the 03 coppers and the 06 red.

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
Don't feel bad about getting MSRP on a new SV that has just been released.

MSRP is fair market price when the economy is on the dealers side.

What pisses me off is when they go a thousand bucks over MSRP, now that is highway robbery.
Make sure that dealer takes care of you!

·
Registered
13 Posts
;D
I LOVE RED! It really looks great with the black frame and rims. At the time I got my 03 I didn't like any of the colors Suzuki offered, but settled with blue. All of my other bikes have been red!

CONGRATS!

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for all the positive feedback. I like the red too. Motosliders are in the mail... hopefully the bike stays upright until I get them! I've seen the video w/ the red SV that had the tree jump in front of it... hopefully that doesn't happen either!! 8)

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
chris87114 said:
Thanks for all the positive feedback. I like the red too. Motosliders are in the mail... hopefully the bike stays upright until I get them! I've seen the video w/ the red SV that had the tree jump in front of it... hopefully that doesn't happen either!! 8)
Nah ... that is what the MSF is for, to prevent the really idiotic and stupid mistakes.
Do keep practicing those drills in empty parking lots ... I took a break and kind of
paid for it a couple of weekend ago. I am back practicing the panic stops and the
turning and straightening up and braking ... that was the one that busted my butt.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts