Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just got my Garmin StreetPilot 2720 that I ordered less than a week ago from Amazon... and it's pretty sweet! Not as small as some others I've seen, but it is pretty sweet and came with a ton of extras, like a dash board friction/weighted pad, and all kinds of adapters and what-not. The GPS is pretty fast, it seems, with loading, zooming, and planning routes.

I also got the RAM handlebar mount so I'm excited to get it set up... just waiting on the wiring harness to hardwire it on the bike!

Seriously though... quite a deal... 107 dollars shipped.

·
Banned
2,973 Posts
I was looking at those(GPS navi's in general) over at Pep Boys, there are pretty cheap now. I think I'm ready to trade in my old suction cup/ball compass for some proper navigation tools. I saw ones for $80 or something like that. Pretty affordable.

Give us a review of it after you get to test it out. :thumbsup:

Edit: Is there such a thing as a radio/CD head unit with Navi? Cause that would match my needs perfectly. My stock head unit is not playing CD's anymore. I suppose all the new ones will also include mp3 playability. That would be nice.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Give us a review of it after you get to test it out. :thumbsup:

Edit: Is there such a thing as a radio/CD head unit with Navi? Cause that would match my needs perfectly. My stock head unit is not playing CD's anymore. I suppose all the new ones will also include mp3 playability. That would be nice.
I will get that review done as soon as I get to try it out! Tailored specially for the SV.

There are head units you can get with nav built in, they're pretty expensive though if I recall... although it's been a while since I looked at them. Crutchfield usually has a good aray of them. Don't quote me on that though, they might be cheaper now!

·
Banned
2,973 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Holy crap!! Yea, for $1300 someone better sit on my dashboard and sing my favorite song, and tell me where I need to go... and serve me delicious beverages.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
I'd like the link to that GPS. The 2720 is the one I wanted but I couldn't find one, even on Amazon for less than 700. I was looking at the 2820 for ~300 with 2 mounts.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So just as an update... I have successfully installed the 2720 on the bike, using a RAM mount and wiring harness that I got from Amazon as well. I will be sure to post a full review once I get to try it out, but I'm waiting on an adapter so that I can use the audio (there's no external speaker but there is an audio jack on the wiring harness). So, soon there will be more!

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
Excellent. Glad it all worked out. Would love to see your review and pics on mounting and wiring etc.

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
Excellent. Glad it all worked out. Would love to see your review and pics on mounting and wiring etc.
Agreed. How is this thing at dealing with weather and the elements? I don't know that I'd really need GPS too often but there have been times when it would have been nice to have when out exploring the local mountains.

I'm planning an overnight ride in the next couple months up the coast so I might have to hook this up. For $107 you can't really go wrong.

·
Premium Member
1,291 Posts
I have the 2650 on my SV. Pretty much the same thing as the 2720.

Screw ram mounts. I made my own shock proof mount and it is great and in a much better spot than a ram mount would be IMO

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
I have the 2650 on my SV. Pretty much the same thing as the 2720.

Screw ram mounts. I made my own shock proof mount and it is great and in a much better spot than a ram mount would be IMO

Nicely done. How did you wire it into your bike though? Did the unit come with an adapter that you could wire in to your bike or did you have to buy one? Where do you splice it in?

I'd like some detailed instructions because I just bought the 2720 for $107 because of this thread.

·
Premium Member
1,291 Posts
^ I answered your PM but I will answer here for others to read.

I ordered the garmin motorcycle kit for mine at around 50 bucks IIRC. You just wire it into your battery and you are done. Wiring it takes 2 mins. Mounting it nice and shock free is the tricky part.

·
Registered
4,830 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,291 Posts
^ That appears to be the same mounting kit I utilized. Everything under it I hand made. For others interested.. I made a thread on it a few years back http://forum.svrider.com/showpost.php?p=771997&postcount=35

Since then I have made everything on it stainless as it was starting to rust. So now it is all stainless and aluminum.

I will send that to you in your email reply also just incase you get on SVR as much as I do (which is nil the past few years)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts