Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend was trading his harley for a z1000 and I went to get a 2011 fz1 for $8888 on sale, $11000 out the door. I originally went to look at an 09 fz1 for $5500 that was just advertised but when I got there, I was told it was sold two weeks ago. They offered $4200 for both my '05 sv650 and '04 klr650 as trade so I would owe $6800 in cash, which I had. Is that a good deal or not? I told them that I would sell the bikes on my own but they really pushed the trade. My sv was a little dirty so the sales guy said it was in "rough shape". When they took the bike in for an appraisal test ride, I told them that the shifter was gp style (upside down) and the guy said that my bike would be worth even less because it would cost them to change it back. I told them that it was only one bolt. My full yoshimura exhaust and powercommander was only worth $100 to them so I was going to put the stock exhaust back on. The asked me to leave it on. In the end I walked out. They even lied to me and said that they don't make any money on the trades because they send the bikes to auction. Yeah right. Dealers suck and salespeople that work there are dumb at Ride Now Powersports on Rancho in Las Vegas. I was there for 5 hours going through all the dealership bull****. What a waste of a day. Big lesson learned: Sell bikes on your own even if it's a hassle and buy used from a private party.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Great job walkin out! Stealerships suck for the most part and no need to give those bikes at that price unless you wanted to give me those prices... :eek:ccasion14: But seriously sell them on your own and enjoy your new ride when you get it.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
$4200 is super low for both bikes.

Sell all your aftermarket parts and then sell your bikes by yourself. You'll easily pull about $5200-5500 from both bikes.

Take that money and buy an 09 FZ1 for $5500 on craigslist and call it a day.

·
Registered
569 Posts
You dodged a bullet. Be grateful you got out. Sell your bikes on CL and buy a mint used FZ1 for maybe $1k more.

Working with a dealer is ALWAYS more hassle than working with a private seller.

·
Registered
6,849 Posts
The only advantage (if indeed there is one) of trading something is it reduces the sales tax on the new bike. In some States this can be substantial money...and is something to keep in mind when thinking about how to do your deal. But yea, Dealers basically suck for sure. Many of them anyhow. It is hard to make enough cash to keep the lights on and pay everyone enough to eat...but some do take it a little too far sometimes.:)

·
Registered
271 Posts
Sell your bikes on your own, then find another dealer for a cash purchase. You can buy Kawasakis through Costco, by the way. I haven't checked the price structure they have for bikes, but I have bought two trucks, two cars and an RV through their auto program and the prices were the best I could find.

·
Registered
546 Posts
It's sad when Craigslist becomes a more honest option than a dealership...

But yeah, I always stick to private-party transactions. Dealership reps are just in it for a quick buck (but can you blame them?).

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
each of those bikes is 3500 easy around here.
+1

Ride Now is the worst (WORST) dealership I have ever been in. They are all the annoying things about a dealership just exponentially worse.

·
Registered
476 Posts
you spent 5 hours there? dude.....

While I have to believe there are a lot of honest dealerships out there, that one sounds like a pile of dog doo doo.

11,000 - 8800 = 2200 in dealer set up fees and taxes?? Seriously?

yep, as others have suggested, sell privately and buy privately rather than give that dealership your money. Holy crap.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I hate dealerships, it's the bike sales that get to me the most. Anyone feel like they are worse than car dealers?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks guys. It was a bad day yesterday, but I feel better now. I decided not to go with the fz1 and look for a used tuono. I like the twins. Also, the sales guy kept telling me afterwards why I flipped my shifter. I just said that it was easier for me and I was used to it. He said that it might damage my bike because it wasn't made to do that. How can it damage it? What an idiot! I'm never going back there.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts