Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All I have to say is wow, there is definitely nothing like being there. Standing next to the track as the bikes fly by faster than you can blink your eyes, taking in the smell of the race fuel and having your body shaken by the raw screams of the engines. I had a hell of a time. Awesome day couldn't have asked for better. So who else was able to make it out to see it in person?
Drew

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
*jealousy overwhelms me*

I hate you. :evil:

·
Registered
283 Posts
How many people were there????

What turn were you at? Or were you on the infield? Is that even possible?

Damn. Next year we should get a group thing together.

Were you able to get into the pits?????

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I went with a close friend and my girlfriend. I heard that in total there was over 50,000 people attending. I just had general admission tickets, so I didn't get a chance to go in the pits, but it was still awesome, we went all over around the track and watched from a few different locations, mostly from turn 8 the corckscrew, and from the exit of turn 4 onto the short straight. They had a giant screen set up there where we could watch all the action and then turn around and watch them exit the turn and hall a** through the short straight. It was really cool to checkout all the different gp bikes that they had set up in the companies tent's. I plan on going again next year if it comes back, my girlfriend has a cousin who's husband owns a suzuki dealership, so we will go with them next year for sure.

·
Registered
28 Posts
57,000 plus there for sunday. i was there with my girlfriend for saturday and sunday. Wow, i will never forget this weekend. Truly amazing. The sounds the smells, the excitement. It was unreal. I now need to shower (after sleeping in the back of my jeep for sat. night) and get the pics/movies uploaded!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
You're a lucky man. Enjoy it. You never know when you may see it again. :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
dmroeder said:
I got a call from a good friend just before the race started and they were stuck in traffic in Monterey. They never made it to the race. They caught the end of it at a bar somewhere around there. Ouch
Yea, which is exactly why i slept in the back of my jeep! What was your friend thinking, that is was just some small race? I wasnt gonna miss any part of sunday! it was really amazing, sorry but i cant say it enough. hope they are back here next year. I would go again in a second and be even more prepared.

·
Hall Monitor
2,738 Posts
The traffic was incredible. Took two hours to drive to the track, an hour and a half to get in!

Had excellent hillside seats above turn 2.

Hayden was flat out awesome. Grabbed the lead and never looked back.

Re: The Star Spangled idiot who sang our National Anthem: good voice, bad brain.

Am sunburnt, stinky, and tired. More tomorrow.

Bill

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hey Bill, I think we must have been close to you! We were close to the medical services booth, right up next to the fence. Damn, what a great day... and we took the shuttle bus in from Salinas, so we got to nap while the driver got to deal with that horrible in-out traffic. :)
bmetz99 said:
The traffic was incredible. Took two hours to drive to the track, an hour and a half to get in!

Had excellent hillside seats above turn 2.

Hayden was flat out awesome. Grabbed the lead and never looked back.

Re: The Star Spangled idiot who sang our National Anthem: good voice, bad brain.

Am sunburnt, stinky, and tired. More tomorrow.

Bill

·
Hall Monitor
2,738 Posts
scottyu said:
Hey Bill, I think we must have been close to you! We were close to the medical services booth, right up next to the fence. Damn, what a great day... and we took the shuttle bus in from Salinas, so we got to nap while the driver got to deal with that horrible in-out traffic. :)
We were seriously thinking about taking the shuttle bus from Salinas. Only problem was that the schedule said there was exactly one bus per hour- we figured if 200 people showed up, it would take 3 hours to get in.

How did they actually handle it? And what sort of parking was there in Salinas? I can imagine cars clogging residential streets three miles from the bus station...

That being said, traffic was the worst I've ever seen it in the 20 years I've been going to Laguna. Two hours to drive the 110 miles from Tracy to Salinas, an hour and a half to go from Salinas to the track (which is what, six miles?). Leaving was just as bad. No joke, two women were walking out to Reservation Road and they made better time than we did driving. And that was with BOTH lanes used for exit traffic.

Oh well, next year.

Bill

·
Registered
6,316 Posts
i told you guys :) ,traffic sucks there.If your not at the gate, before the sun,your late :lol:

·
Registered
97 Posts
All in all, it was a great weekend. I was there last year, and got to sit in a suite for Sunday, right between turns 3 and 4. This year, we went whole hog, and bought premiere suite passes. Our seats were directly above the GP garages on the front straight. I was able to get a ton of great race pictures, as well as a bunch of autographs for my sons, etc. They told me that I could not come home without Valentino?s autograph, and I was able to get it. I bought one of the event posters, and had him sign it, along with Colin Edwards, Shane Byrne (KTM rider # 67), Marco Melandri, Ruben Xaus, Sete Gibernau, John Hopkins, Nicky Hayden, and Max Biaggi. I also met Kenny Roberts Sr. in the pits, and got an autograph and picture with him.

I also took a ton of race pictures. I will post some as soon as I download them.

The GP bikes are just absolutely incredible. The sound is way more than it sounds like on TV, and the sensation of speed is unbelievable. We were talking to some mechanics the Ducati team, and they were saying that the brake pads they use are $1000 a pair, and last one weekend. The wheels are magnesium because carbon fiber is not strong enough to take the power the engine is trying to get to the track.

What a weekend.

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
you were there in person? pfffft. you guys missed out so much. all those awesome commercials you'll never get to see. I HATE YOU!!! :D

·
Registered
449 Posts
pm1964 said:
All in all, it was a great weekend. I was there last year, and got to sit in a suite for Sunday, right between turns 3 and 4. This year, we went whole hog, and bought premiere suite passes. Our seats were directly above the GP garages on the front straight. I was able to get a ton of great race pictures, as well as a bunch of autographs for my sons, etc. They told me that I could not come home without Valentino?s autograph, and I was able to get it. I bought one of the event posters, and had him sign it, along with Colin Edwards, Shane Byrne (KTM rider # 67), Marco Melandri, Ruben Xaus, Sete Gibernau, John Hopkins, Nicky Hayden, and Max Biaggi. I also met Kenny Roberts Sr. in the pits, and got an autograph and picture with him.

I also took a ton of race pictures. I will post some as soon as I download them.

The GP bikes are just absolutely incredible. The sound is way more than it sounds like on TV, and the sensation of speed is unbelievable. We were talking to some mechanics the Ducati team, and they were saying that the brake pads they use are $1000 a pair, and last one weekend. The wheels are magnesium because carbon fiber is not strong enough to take the power the engine is trying to get to the track.

What a weekend.
Man, that must have been awesome, I'm still high on the race and have been thinking about it all day but I only saw it on TV. If you don't mind me asking though, about how much are premiere suite passes? I would love that experience for next year.

Grav.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Television DOES NOT do the sound of a MotoGP bike justice. It is an absolutely spine tingling, testicle grabbing noise. A pack of motogp bikes ie enough to make you swoon. I thought the whole idea of needing earplugs in the stands was BS till I had to stick my fingers in my ears to stop from going deaf. :shock: The Kawasaki was definately the loudest.

We watched from the hillside above turn 2 and that was one of the best vantage points as you could see from the exit of Rainey all the way to the top of the hill just before turn 6.

Oh, we had the "rare" pit passes that I seemed to see on just about everyone. :?

But it was still cool cause we got to see a bunch of the racers and even get a few autographs. Funniest moment of the weekend was Troy Bayliss trying to steal my pen when some other clown only had a tiny ball point for an autograph. Troy was pretty good natured about it when I asked for my pen back. 8) Monday at the San Fran airport, we ran into Marco Melandri when he got on to our train car. As we hadn't gotten his autograph at the track we made the most of the opportunity and got one from him on the train. :D

M

·
0 Posts
Yeah those sumbitches are loud huh!? It was awesome though... That KTM/Proton bike is pretty freakin loud too. Got a lot of time to listen to it since it was at the back of the pack most of the time. :D

·
Registered
97 Posts
Grav - the suite tickets we had were $500 for all 3 days. The nice thing about it is that it includes up close parking, an air conditioned suite with tv monitors along with the balcony right over the start finish line, paddock passes, some limited time in the pits, plus breakfast, lunch and snacks and all the beer, wine, water, soda, etc. you need. When you add it all up and compare it to buying stuff seperately, it's really not that expensive. A coouple in the suite with us had paid $3000 for their pair of tickets on ebay. Now THAT's a lot.

For anybody interested, I'll post some of the pics I took over the weekend. I ended up with several hundred pics, so I'll just post a few:

Sorry about the fence in some of the shots:

·
Registered
97 Posts
More:

Here's Nicky Hayden coming off turn 11 heading to victory:

VICTORY!!!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts