Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was a bit apprehensive at first, after reading horror stories of the Soft French Cheese screws that retain it..well I took all the precautions..using a small flat ratchet, that held the #25 Torx, so you can get in there and keep it square on..a flexible snake drive that also went on to the Torx bit that was sticking out (you need some pushing pressure to hold it in place), a little valve grinding paste on the tip of the Torx bit to give it extra grip..and BINGO..it released without any further adoo (problems)..I didn't touch the bottom bolt, as when I released the top one, the TPS dropped down to 1500 rpm.
Having previously checked the TPS kicking in at 3000 rpm exactly, just releasing the top screw dropped it, so I got a brass drift about 5/8 dia and tapped the sensor untill it dropped to 1200..you're keeping an eye on the little dash cursor whilst doing all this..I kept tapping and tightening, tapping and tightening 'till I got it right..so now finally tighened up, it's at about 1400 rpm.
So now my TPS, thanks to coombest <http://forums.sv650.org/viewtopic.php?t=10245> and my TRE <http://www.socalsvriders.org/forums...948cf494a3b&threadid=5553&highlight=2003+TRE> thanks to racinteach
<http://www.socalsvriders.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14575> for supplying the by-pass lead to fool the sensor.
I am now a happy camper  :D

Mike

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
And ...

How is the low speed throttle response?

Is it worth it? :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Currently said:
And ...

How is the low speed throttle response?

Is it worth it?   :)
Yes..it realy does smooth it out..all that jerkyness at low rpms is virtually gone, which is good in traffic..of course sloppy use of the throttle can still cause you to jerk back and forth, but now it is controlable.

Mike

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
AWESOME.....I can't wait to do this....what do you think the odds of the dealer doing it for me during my 600mile service... ::)

·
Registered
41 Posts
I did this adjustment a week or two ago and it definitely made a difference. If this is the first thing you've done to your bike and you're new to motorcycle mechanics (as I am) you might want to look over my posts on pages 2 and 3 in the above mentioned thread.

I used a Skewdriver (offset screwdriver) for the security torx bolts and that made things very easy.

My recommendations (other than the tool) are to just break the seal on the torx bolts and barely loosen them. I had those suckers almost out before I realized that the black plastic thing they were holding was the sensor itself and not just a cover. I spent a lot of time just getting it back to a semi-normal place before starting the "adjust the sensor, adjust the idle, adjust the sensor, adjust the idle" dance.

Well worth the time, though, and a simple adjustment to make.

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
Maybe there is something wrong with my SV, cause I went to adjust it, to get this smooth throttle everyone talks about. But what da hell, mine is perfectly set at 1450rpm. But it still feels choppy dammit! WTF arghhh me maty.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I only noticed a small difference, so don't feel bad.

That said, your is adjusted and feels notchy, imagine what ours were like

·
Registered
41 Posts
It's not going to make the bike smooth as glass, it just gets rid of that weird hiccupy thing around 3k. If you make radical throttle movements you're going to get the same lurching action as always.

I really noticed the difference when practicing slow speed U-turns and declining radius spirals - before the adjustment I had a heck of a time keeping a steady speed going. After the adjustment the throttle is steady in those lower RPMs because the sensor isn't kicking on and off constantly as you hover around 3k. I also notice some difference with take-offs, but not nearly as much as when you're moving slowly without using the clutch to control my speed.

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
speedholes said:
I only noticed a small difference, so don't feel bad.

That said, your is adjusted and feels notchy, imagine what ours were like
Thats what I was thinking, if mine is as smooth as it gets, then I'm sorry for those that have it worse...cause it must've been reallly bad.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts