Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 143 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had this douchenozzle in a tricked out Camaro riding my ass for half a mile in moderately heavy traffic. I finally decided enough was enough and slowed down by about 20 mph so that he got the picture (not brake checking. I just let off the gas.) When the opportunity came, I let him go in front of me so that he and his limp dick could blaze off into the sunset. But he chose, instead, to turn this into a demolition derby. He was weaving all over the road and slamming on his brakes.

Well, of course I slowed down. Then he slowed down. I began to get the picture that whatever was happening was not going to end well.

I slowed down as much as was safely possible on the freeway and geared it up into the powerband and waited. All the while, he was still just a couple feet in front of me. I faked to the left and then went WOT to the right and around. Thankfully he took the bait and was off in lala land before he realized what I did.

Well, then of course, we're still on the freeway. And he's still insane. It was obvious that no matter how fast I went, he would be right behind me. I tried to go for the exit twice and he followed. Stopping with this **** behind me also sounded like a recipe for disaster.

So I basically just kept in front of him and sweeping to make sure he couldn't get around. At the next interchange, he got off.

I really had no idea what to do in that situation because I could not phone the police while I was riding. Especially when all my concentration was on not being killed by some psychopath.

What should I do next time this happens? I've encountered some bad drivers in the past. But this was by far the most extreme and I was actually afraid for my well being.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Just exit the picture the next time. 3000-4000 lb. cages will murder you and their drivers will only get slapped with light legal charges (the norm in America), while your twisted metal stallion cries over its dead owner.

Find the nearest neighborhood to dive into -- give the aggressive automobile drivers a big and healthy thumbs up, and make yourself lost in that neighborhood with your motorcycle. Use your marvelous handling and acceleration to flee. Stressed, impatient, and aggressive automobile owners aren't worth combating with, at all. Just let them take our their anger out on other automobiles in the clogged traffic. You can emerge back on your intended path within 30 seconds from such neighborhoods. Back to normalcy.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Exit and lose the guy in traffic or local roads. If you can't shake him, find an open convenience store, park and quickly make it into the store. Yell to the clerk that someone is trying to kill you (true) and have him call 911.

Grab a glass bottle or some other weapon, and wait. If douchenozzle comes near you or your bike, bash his head in.

·
Premium Member
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I felt safer on the freeway because it was a constant speed. The problem, from what I was thinking, is that on surface streets I would have to slow down or stop which would give him the opportunity to come around and **** my **** up.

Trying to dash through neighborhoods just sounds like a bad idea for everyone around us.

·
Premium Member
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Exit and lose the guy in traffic or local roads. If you can't shake him, find an open convenience store, park and quickly make it into the store. Yell to the clerk that someone is trying to kill you (true) and have him call 911.

Grab a glass bottle or some other weapon, and wait. If douchenozzle comes near you or your bike, bash his head in.
Yeah I guess this is really the only logical solution that could potentially work. Unfortunately, where I was riding, there was no convenient store or gas station right off the freeway for several miles.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
You're on a motorcycle! Your advantages are size, maneuverability, and acceleration. On surface streets, you can easily lose a pursuer -- even if it means having to split lanes, ride on the shoulder, ride on the sidewalk, even, and run red lights (when the way is clear). It's better than confronting someone in that situation.

·
Premium Member
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've only ever seen another driver this upset once before. And I was driving a car that time so I felt pretty safe.

This guy had his window rolled down and was just screaming things into the wind at me. I need something similar to a can of bear mace. But instead of mace it is a xanax liquid suspension that can be shot into the drivers mouth from 30 feet away.

·
Premium Member
2,108 Posts
...What should I do next time this happens?
I think it is a good idea when on a motorcycle to not do things deliberately that might predictably enrage some idiot, like slowing down to 20 mph in front of him on a freeway. Was there really no opportunity to change lanes, or to put some distance or some other vehicles between you and him? Or to pull of the road? Was it really necessary to keep him from passing? Besides being a dick move, wasn't it a lot more dangerous than letting him go ahead of you? I'd much rather have a lunatic in front of me than behind me.

As for next time, don't let there be a next time. Don't get into a pi$$ing contest with a cage in the first place. Jeezus, Walgreens, what were you thinking?

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
If someone was tailgating me in heavy traffic, and assuming I had nowhere else to get to safely, my first reaction would be to slow down, too. (Maybe not 20 mph, but it depends on the speed of surrounding traffic and the speed limit.) Not only does it force the person behind to pay attention and hopefully back off, but it opens up some room in front for the person behind to get in front. Most drivers who tailgate in traffic have no idea how close they are following and how uncomfortable they are making the person in front feel. If you show your brake lights and slow down a bit, in my experience the rational ones will take the hint, back off, and then, when there is an opportunity, go around. Which is exactly what one would want to happen.

The problem is, AOW wasn't dealing with a rational driver. IMO, that's not exactly his fault.

CAVEAT: If there was an opportunity for AOW to get away rather than slow down, I agree that GTFO would have been the better choice.

·
Premium Member
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think it is a good idea when on a motorcycle to not do things deliberately that might predictably enrage some idiot, like slowing down to 20 mph in front of him on a freeway. Was there really no opportunity to change lanes, or to put some distance or some other vehicles between you and him? Or to pull of the road? Was it really necessary to keep him from passing? Besides being a dick move, wasn't it a lot more dangerous than letting him go ahead of you? I'd much rather have a lunatic in front of me than behind me.

As for next time, don't let there be a next time. Don't get into a pi$$ing contest with a cage in the first place. Jeezus, Walgreens, what were you thinking?
If you actually read my post, I made it obvious that I gave him an opportunity to pass me and he took it upon himself to turn it into something more dangerous.

I didn't slow down to 20 mph on the freeway. That would be dumb. I slowed down to about 45 or 50 mph (I slowed by 20 mph).

I would much rather have a lunatic behind me than in front of me. I'm not sure why you'd rather have him in front. Whoever is in front has almost total control over the vehicle behind. Hence, I did not want him to get ahead again and try to run me off the road.

·
Premium Member
2,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I tried increasing my speed considerably over a very short distance. But the Camaro was both surprisingly fast (It clearly had a lot of engine work done) and piloted by someone with zero inhibitions. He was right behind me most of the time. So running was not an option. Especially not with a ton of other drivers around me.

I decided that slowing down and blocking was my only real option. If this was later at night with no traffic, I would have just opened it up, created some distance and exited the freeway.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
I would much rather have a lunatic behind me than in front of me. I'm not sure why you'd rather have him in front. Whoever is in front has almost total control over the vehicle behind. Hence, I did not want him to get ahead again and try to run me off the road.
You could have been punted off the road, and you wouldn't have even seen it coming. Either in front or behind (or to the side) is no good when there's no room to maneuver. The key is distance -- put distance between you and the other guy. All else being equal, though, I'd rather keep my eye on the wackos in front than wonder what they are up to behind me (unless it is far, far behind me).

·
Registered
164 Posts
If it were me, I would just take an exit, and pull over. The odds on a motorcycle are not good against a car.

Feet on the ground, the odds are much more in my favor, especially given the fact that I'm almost always armed. A hot-head in a cage could definitely be considered a threat, but my guess is that if stopped, he'd probably drive on by after a single-finger wave...

UD

·
MOTORADOR
10,954 Posts
Man, that really sucks. Glad you made it home safely.

I guess situations like that are so volatile and unpredictable that the best thing to do is to keep your head cool and act quick based on you best surrounding circumstances... whatever those may be.

Sent from my left shoe using the Motorcycle app

·
Registered
71 Posts
I feel you're pain on the ragging ass hole on the freeway thing. I ride around 100 miles a day to work and I get a lot of gruff. I'm very passive when I ride, but I still get atleast one crazy driver a week. Its been stated that you can't reason with these idiots, which is so true. If they are at risk of missing an episode of American Idol, you better watch your ass. People are so inconsiderate anymore, its all about #1! I had a very similar situation this Friday with some pin-dick in an Audi. He was right on my tail in a two lane section with concrete barriers on both sides, and a semi next to me. He wouldn't pass later when I gave him the opportunity, I looked back and waved him by and had a look of hate in his eyes. He got closer... Once the road opened I dropped to 4th and put the 1000cc to use. I don't do that regularly, but sometimes a ticket is better than a burial!

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Pull over to the side of the road, most of these type of road bullies will just keep going. Take your time and wait until he is out of the picture.

Unfortunately, no matter what, you will lose any confrontation with a car, even a Smart car, much less a big piece of American iron.

·
Registered
683 Posts
You did alright...you made it out safe, which was the goal. Hind sight might lean towards an exit ramp next time...and if followed, ride to a full public parking lot, or fire/police station.

I just had a white car darn near drive up my exhaust the other day. She was following close and didn't seem aware of it. Instead of slowing or tapping a brake...I perched up and turned around to make eye contact with her, while putting my hand out as if asking "what the ***?". She took the hint and backed off, and passed me when another lane opened up.

We're going to meet up with ppl with zero tolerance for bikes...it's up to us to be the cooler and not make things worse than they have to be. Without a video capturing a raging cager...the bike/biker is usually presumed to be the fault once a cager spins stories to save their own ass.

I'm glad you made out well to share the tale ;)

·
Registered
618 Posts
I trust when he got in front you got his plates and called it in. On a bike, start splitting cars. Put them between you and the idiot. Have run in with some idiots in cars before and did absolutely NOTHING to them. They just are pissed off about bikes and want to take it out on anyone they see.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
I don't have time to read all of the replies but if it were me I'd have stopped, waited for him to do the same, then beat the living... just kidding.

My wife had a nut do this to her once. The solution was simple. She calmly drove straight to the police station. End of problem.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
This is where the bluetooth and voice dialing in my helmet would come in handy.

1 - 20 of 143 Posts