Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I was doing research on how to fix my bike, was having issues with mine and thought that maybe this forum could help. I bought the bike a month ago and when I picked it up it was riding fine, I ended up running out of gas and later realized the fuel tank sensor was taken out. I filled up and I noticed that the oil had been over filled, the bike has about 17,000 miles on it and started dying intermittently when I would press the clutch at higher rpms. It the died and wouldn’t start up. I changed the oil and antifreeze. It still would not start up but would turn over. I would also have to give gas to have the bike turn on. When on it would stall at lower rpms at lower gears, I was able to drive it to the repair shop and they think it’s a fuel problem, they replaced the spark plugs, cleaned the fuel injectors, replaced the fuel pump with an after market one (quantum) because the oem fuel pump was almost 1000. The costs are adding up and the engine is they say the engine is still stalling. I’m a little disappointed I haven’t got to ride, at a loss for what to do next and was hoping you guys had some guidance. Thanks

·
Registered
7,850 Posts
There's a high pressure fuel filter in the fuel pump assembly that is not uncommon to clog. Some have had success backflushing it, some have bypassed it entirely and installed an aftermarket external fuel filter.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There's a high pressure fuel filter in the fuel pump assembly that is not uncommon to clog. Some have had success backflushing it, some have bypassed it entirely and installed an aftermarket external fuel filter.
Thank you for responding! If they replaced the fuel pump would the filter be replaced in the process? Not sure if the replacement pump had a filter with it.

·
Super Moderator
9,313 Posts
How did the bike run after being picked up from the repair shop?

Call the shop, ask to speak to the mechanic that worked on your bike. Ask if they did a fuel volume test. If the answer is yes, ask how the test was done and what the result was.

You are looking for an answer like "this many ounces in this many seconds". If they can not give you specific results then they did not do this basic test.

The fuel volume test will tell you if the high-pressure fuel filter is clogged or not.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts