·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now I am ready to ride.

·
Registered
58 Posts
That's supposed to save your life...there are just some purchases in life that aren't worth looking for a bargain on.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Now I am ready to ride.
Good for you (and i don't mean this sarcastically). I applaud you for not letting lame @$$ consumerism sucker you in.

I said it before, there is no reason motorcycling has to cost thousands of dollars.

A $100 helmet may not have all the frills that a $600 helmet does but if it's got the DOT certification it's going to do just as much to protect your head as any other helmet.

And who is to say that he didn't just buy a really good, high quality helmet from Goodwill... I find great stuff there all the time.

·
very big dumb
8,894 Posts
And who is to say that he didn't just buy a really good, high quality helmet from Goodwill... I find great stuff there all the time.
that's been dropped 30 times and is expired by a decade. ah good enough, let's ride

/would only use crap/dropped lids at minigp since speeds are low and there's not much that can hit me in the head

·
MOTORADOR
10,954 Posts
Now make sure you wear it EVERY TIME YOU RIDE :D

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
Good for you (and i don't mean this sarcastically). I applaud you for not letting lame @$$ consumerism sucker you in.

I said it before, there is no reason motorcycling has to cost thousands of dollars.

A $100 helmet may not have all the frills that a $600 helmet does but if it's got the DOT certification it's going to do just as much to protect your head as any other helmet.

Get off your high horse, son. Those of us that preach not buying a used helm do so because a helm is something you really should know the history of.

The most expensive helm I've bought in the past...15 years...was $150.

·
MOTORADOR
10,954 Posts
Just figured what that Good Will thing is (sorry, haven't been in the States for that long), and no, I would certainly never wear a used helmet. Not only it stinks and may have all kinds of germs from someone else's head, but it's definitely a safety risk because of the reasons posted above.

There are plenty of cheap but decent DOT approved helmets in the market. Any of those should be enough for someone on a really tight budget.

http://www.cyclegear.com/eng/product/blaze_full_face_motorcycle_helmet/web1001043

Edit:
Miles Kms: 24,000
Bikes: 99 SV650 Black W/ Givi all the way around

Yah, troll indeed :facepalm:

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
^ JBS, why omit the last 2 letters of helmET?

Oh, and for this thread I think it's safe to say "obvious troll is obvious"

·
MOTORADOR
10,954 Posts

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Get off your high horse, son. Those of us that preach not buying a used helm do so because a helm is something you really should know the history of.

The most expensive helm I've bought in the past...15 years...was $150.
Agreed. You dont have to spend a ton of money to have a high quality helmet that will protect your head well but I would never buy a used one for my every day use because it could easily have its protection compromised and there is no way to know without cracking it open.

·
site supporter
6,051 Posts
Welcome back, Manuel.
What's happening in the skies these days?

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Well if you were in San Rafael, CA. I'd accuse you of being that guy that bought the new Shoei out from under me for $50

I never go into those stores but I saw it through the window as I was driving by. :(

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
I would never purchase a used helmet for regular use.

How ever, if per say I was on vacation and was expectantly given a chance to ride, I would pick one up. Especially if I knew I wouldn't be able to take it back with me.

·
...is no fun!
2,764 Posts
I would never purchase a used helmet for regular use.

How ever, if per say I was on vacation and was expectantly given a chance to ride, I would pick one up. Especially if I knew I wouldn't be able to take it back with me.
*however
*per se - but that's irrelevant since it's not the correct use of the word
*unexpectedly

;)

1 - 20 of 152 Posts