Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally took the class to get a motorcycle license last weekend so now its time to get a bike. I will be buying a friend of a friends bike and they told me to join this forum. He has a 01 SV650S that he has owned from day one, only seen rain twice. He is getting rid of it because he is a little older and he wants to go to a cruiser, his loss my gain. I am looking forward to putting alot of miles on this and very excited this is my first bike.

I look forward to learning alot on this forum.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Welcome.

Not to rain on your parade, but the SV is a good, but not a great, beginner bike. How much motorcycling experience do you have?

Be very careful with your new bike. The throttle is very touchy, the steering is very quick, and it is very easy to lock the rear brake. Work your way up and build confidence by starting with easy rides in light or no traffic, and continue to practice the MSF drills. Remember, passing the MSF only means you have proven capable of riding 20 mph in an empty parking lot.

Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome.

Not to rain on your parade, but the SV is a good, but not a great, beginner bike. How much motorcycling experience do you have?

Be very careful with your new bike. The throttle is very touchy, the steering is very quick, and it is very easy to lock the rear brake. Work your way up and build confidence by starting with easy rides in light or no traffic, and continue to practice the MSF drills. Remember, passing the MSF only means you have proven capable of riding 20 mph in an empty parking lot.

Good luck.
Thanks for the input. I will deff be taking it slow the next few weeks on shorter back road type runs.

For the SV beeing a Good but not Great beginner bike I wanted something that would last me a few years versus a year then want a bigger bike. Per all my friends that ride this is a good bike for that.

-JR

·
Registered
50 Posts
Welcome.

Good luck.
Very true. Esp the part about the touchy throttle and the easily locking rear brake. I'd have to agree itd be better off getting more experience on something smaller but like you, wanted something Ill want to keep for a while. I'm still new to riding and only had a little experience on a ninja 250 before getting my sv650. Huge difference. 1st gear is where that torque is crazy. I have accidentally given it too much throttle, then let off quick which caused the bike to jerk me forward a bit, then in turn accidentally giving it more throttle again, scaring the crap out of me. Haha. I'm used to it now. Just take it slow. I was taking all back and side roads for the first few weeks like u mentioned as well. Good luck!

Sent from my PC36100 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
443 Posts
Good job man, my sv650 last month was my first bike as well, passed the msf beginner course also. It's a scary bike to start on as they are much beefier than the msf bikes you get to use, but each day I ride I get better, you will too if you take it easy and do some back road 25-35mph riding before you jump onto the freeway and try getting up to speed!
I thought 35mph was fast as hell right after my msf course, then 53mph was super fast, now I've seen 80mph on the freeway and its not that bad.

·
MOTORADOR
10,956 Posts
You ride safe man...

and Welcome to SVR.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got to Ride this weekend for the first time. Alot of Fun!!! Cant wait for this crappy weather to pass to Ride some more.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Got to Ride this weekend for the first time. Alot of Fun!!! Cant wait for this crappy weather to pass to Ride some more.
hopefully its cooler there than it is here... 100+ the last two days. and humid. gotta love kansas/missouri weather.... :rock:

·
Registered
624 Posts
It's a scorcher out there today. I'm also in MO mjd616SV. I'll have my SV around KC some I'm sure the next couple months. My GF lives in Olathe.

·
Registered
50 Posts
It's a scorcher out there today. I'm also in MO mjd616SV. I'll have my SV around KC some I'm sure the next couple months. My GF lives in Olathe.
nice... yeah my gf works in Olathe actually... live just over stateline on the MO side in the Lee's Scummit lol...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts