Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally had enough time off to start doing some things I really want to do to the SV, namely, suspension.
After some email questions were promptly answered, I ordered a set of springs and oil from Rich on my way out of Alaska, and they arrived two days after I got home. Fast shipping, and I can't say enough about how well Sonic kept me updated on my order.

Got the springs changed today, and it was nice enough this afternoon to give them a little tryout.
With my nearly 220 lbs with gear, the stock springs were sorely tested, especially on downhill turns. Rebound was also lacking with the light factory oil, I have gotten used to using a combination of throttle and brake to "set" the suspension in corners, and trail braking was just about out of the question when on steep downhills. No more!
I have a steep, sharp, downhill on the road I usually take going home. For the last four years I have approached it gingerly, and taken it slow. Today I drove around and took it six times just for giggles, trail braking further in each time. Next to changing tires, this is the best thing I ever did to the SV.

All my gravity challenged brothers, if you haven't done this think hard about doing it, it is well worth the effort. ;D

Three hours got it done, taking my time. If the weather is as crappy this weekend as they say, maybe I'll finally mount the Gixxer shock I've had in the garage for two years.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
How was the install? Im about to order mine too - any tips on the install?

The install is pretty simple. Make sure the front end is supported and it's not bad at all. I didn't take the forks off, just got a mighty vac and sucked out as much oil as I could. Be careful taking the fork caps off, the stock springs will shoot them off even with a few turns left. This can strip the cap threads and make for a bad day. Just put some downward pressure on them and you'll be fine.

I did it the cheating way though and most will recommend to just remove the forks all together and flip them to drain the oil.

·
Registered
789 Posts
just for reference from the FAQ's:
http://forum.svrider.com/showthread.php?t=70854

I used this write-up to install my SS. I think I also took about 2-3hours (taking breaks, re-reading instructions, setting things up, going back to re-read).

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Easiest way to install Sonic Springs? Take beer to Rich's house and let him do it for you. At least that's what I did. You may not have that option since you live so far away. :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.