Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's a pretty surreal moment when you witness a crash/accident, it's even more surreal when its your'e best friend. On the way home from a short day of riding my friend crashed on his bike. I was only a few seconds behind and after two quick right turns I come out of the corner and BAM my friend is hitting the ground and then rolling on the ground. Now we're not sure what cause it, it was kind of dark and his tire was brand new that day...but that's not what I am writing about.

He ended up shattering nearly every bone in his right foot, and suffered a concussion. He doesn't remember anything from basically 15-20 minutes before the crash to waking up in the hospital talking to a doctor. He was also in ATG. My friend definitely owes his life to his gear, the alpine star leathers saved all of his skin, the Sidi boots definitely saved his foot (I think the bike landed on his foot and it got trapped) and his helmet most of all. I took a few pictures of his helmet today when I saw him.

WEAR YOUR HELMETS AND GEAR!

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
In your opinion what would have happened to his foot had he been wearing tennis shoes? Flip flops? Hiking boots?

I ask because it sounds like his foot sustained a lot (!) of trauma even wearing appropriate gear. Obviously race boots can't save us from everything, but it sounds like things could have been much worse.

Those pics are amazing. I'm really thankful you posted them. Just by looking at them it looks like your bud may have succumbed to injuries had he not been wearing it. Makes me want a new helmet even more. Mine (aside from the bug problem if your following that thread) is simply too big. It really worries me.

Anyway, again, thanks for posting that. I hope your friend heals well. Those injuries are no joke. :(

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
In your opinion what would have happened to his foot had he been wearing tennis shoes? Flip flops? Hiking boots?
Tennis shoes....shoes would have left his feet. Foot would have been crushed. Feet would have lots of road rash.

Flip flops...flip flops would have left his feet. Foot would have been crushed. Feet would have lots of road rash.

Hiking boots...I have no idea. Maybe less crushing damage due to the stiffer sole of the hiking boot. Maybe a broken ankle as well due to the additional weight of the boot. Really, no idea.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I wear military boots as of now since I haven't been able to find a pair of boots I like in my price range. I feel that if I went down in them my foot would be okay due to the stiff sole and area around the base of the foot, however, my ankle would be crushed. Worst case scenario my lack of ankle protection causes my foot to be sheered off and I have to pick up my foot and hobble around for the rest of my life.

Could you take some pictures of the inside of the helmet with the liner out? I wouldn't mind seeing how the EPS worked?

Hope your friend recovers quick and well.

·
Registered
146 Posts
at what speed approx?

·
very big dumb
8,897 Posts
i just did a headstand in my helmet this weekend... would probably be really dead without. then again, i was on the track...

·
Premium Member
4,340 Posts
There is a horrible term for what can happen to exposed hands or feet; De-gloved.

No need to do a search for that, especially of images.

·
Registered
9,110 Posts
i just did a headstand in my helmet this weekend... would probably be really dead without. then again, i was on the track...
I would have splattered my brains across a street in Bangkok had I not been wearing a bicycle helmet (riding a pedally). A car turned in front of me, I grabbed a handful of brake, launched myself over the bars, and landed square on the top of my grape. I really couldn't imagine getting on anything with 2 wheels without one.

Happy your friend was relatively unhurt. He's going to need a new helmet, though. ;D

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

I ask because it sounds like his foot sustained a lot (!) of trauma even wearing appropriate gear. Obviously race boots can't save us from everything, but it sounds like things could have been much worse.

Those pics are amazing. I'm really thankful you posted them. Just by looking at them it looks like your bud may have succumbed to injuries had he not been wearing it. Makes me want a new helmet even more. Mine (aside from the bug problem if your following that thread) is simply too big. It really worries me.

Anyway, again, thanks for posting that. I hope your friend heals well. Those injuries are no joke. :(
My pleasure man, I feel like if he had a different pair of shoes such as tennis shoes or so they would of flown off and he would of ended with road rashed feet. Flip flops would be worse, worst case scenario , loss of movement in foot. I think the race boot (being tight and secure) kept his foot compressed until he got to the hospital. The signet q has a more oval shape I believe, which was not 100% form fitting to his head. His mouth actually hit the front of the helmeton the inside and he ended up with a fat lip also...

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
the snap shots of your'e miniGP crash are sorta humorous lol , your'e shadow while your falling off the bike had me cracking up. mini gp is looking very fun!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts