Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I uh...did something stupid and the battery's dead. Tried jump starting but it didn't work so any advice on that would help (I tried rolling down a hill, probably going 6~10mph in first and popping the clutch towards the bottom of the hill).

What are my other options? (Yea, I'm a noob to the bike world so I'm pretty sure this is a stupid question but oh well) My other problem is that I tried installing a new seat but one of the screws was on too tight and ended up getting stripped. Seeing as how the battery is under the front seat, if I need to take out the battery I'll need to take care of that problem first. Oh well.

·
Registered
52 Posts
You should try putting it in 3rd when bump-starting.

If you're in 1st you're probably just locking up your rear wheel when you let the clutch out.

Also, to put more traction on the rear wheel, try standing up on the pegs and sitting down forcefully as far rear as possible as you let out the clutch.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah yes...I tried the push-start in a higher gear and it worked, but then I was stupid (again) and got excited and put the kickstand down in gear ::) to go grab the rest of my gear. So now it's dead again. Got a little tired so I going to try later. Geez. What stupid mistakes I've been making today.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I got the push start to work, rode the bike around for an hour or so, came back and whaddaya know, doesn't start. How long does it generally take for the battery to get a decent charge? 2 hours? 3? I think I may just have to do the trickle charge thing if this continues.

·
Registered
296 Posts
If you jump start it off a car do it with the car off. When I fixed my bike this past weekend the battery was completely dead, so I charged it all night sunday, then rode it to school Monday which is about 8 miles away and it has remained charge. So maybe put it on a charger overnight first and then ride it for an hour. I don't weigh enough to bump start my bike so that wasn't an option.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Then you need a multimeter to check that. I would also think that is you put it on the charger and the gage isnt really moving will tell you if its completely dead. I would definetly check it out before going and buying a new battery

·
Registered
22 Posts
You may have a dead / dying generator

If you charge your battery then it goes flat again after a few hours riding - change the genny

·
Registered
296 Posts
No, check the battery first, then test your regulator or RR. then test the generator. If he rides alot, then I would suspect something other than his battery, but if he rides seldom like I was only able too, then the battery is probablly the problem. Either way, start checking the simple things FIRST. Then if they are ok, go onto the harder stuff.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I had to bump start mine today.I made the mistake of leaving it all day at work with the parking light on.Uk curvys do that if you turn the key too far anti clockwise when putting the steering lock on.Bloody stupid idea.I got it started by getting two blokes to give me a hefty push,but I'm told that the newer bikes can be tricky cos they need some battery to prime the fuel injection.I hope I hav'nt shagged the battery as it is five and a half years old!

·
Registered
744 Posts
A bike's generator rarely, rarely goes bad. Like Ms. Shazaam said, the first thing to do is check your battery. If possible, take it to a car parts store and have them load test it. Simply checking voltage on it with a multimeter isn't enough. Also be aware, that riding with a flat battery wil tax your regulator/rectifier a lot, and will often kill them. Also, on the SV, the battery won't even charge under, I believe, 5,000 rpm.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Thanks Zoltan, in fixing my bike last weekend and it not staying charged, I learned to start looking at the simple things first. Much more common sense to doing that. My kawi friend brought his charger over last weekend, and the battery had a little under 12 volts and he KEPT insisting it was my RR. After finding the bugger, he wanted to remove it and test it. He had the battery on the charger for five mins and told me my battery should be staying charged. I made him stop(I was tired of my bike being in pieces) and that if after the ride to and from school on Monday didn't charge the battery I would start testing other things. After talking to Sherm that night, I put the charger on the battery all night at 2 amps and guess what, she runs just fine!! I maybe a girl, but I don't think I am an idiot. Sorry just trying to point out the checking the simple stuff first.

And like Zoltan said, the generator rarely goes bad.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts