Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought the Mo'ster his first ride last weekend: a Suzuki JR50 mini-crosser.
Didn't run; needs a lot of work. But for $75 it was a bargain.

I dipped the carb parts and have it back together but I do not know where to make the initial setting on the needle valve (pilot air screw).

Once we get it running, I'll pop for a good manual. But until then I just want to keep from running it too lean.

Any help out there for the Mo'ster and his Daddy?

·
Super Moderator
7,091 Posts
Center the clip on the needle, 1 1/2 turns out on the air screw for starters should get it running.

Make sure you clean out all the jets real well. They can look clean (can see light through them) but can have just enough crud inside of them to throw off the jetting. Try something like a soft wire to run around the inside (thread it through while spinning the jet) and through any small holes. Then flush well with carb cleaner and blow out with compressed air.

Jay

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Center the clip on the needle, 1 1/2 turns out on the air screw for starters should get it running.

Make sure you clean out all the jets real well. They can look clean (can see light through them) but can have just enough crud inside of them to throw off the jetting. Try something like a soft wire to run around the inside (thread it through while spinning the jet) and through any small holes. Then flush well with carb cleaner and blow out with compressed air.

Jay
Jay, thanks a bunch for your response and help.

re: "center the clip on the needle" = are you talking about the C-clip on the end of the needle that runs through the slide?

I got it to fire up on Saturday. Runs for a few seconds then floods. Runs longer at WOT. Doesn't start without the choke on full though.
I believe the float isn't closing off the fuel inlet. I ordered a new float and a bunch of other bits and pieces from ThumperTalk.

and a muffler! The expansion chamber isn't enough to keep that lil 50 from waking the dead.

·
Super Moderator
7,091 Posts
Jay, thanks a bunch for your response and help.

re: "center the clip on the needle" = are you talking about the C-clip on the end of the needle that runs through the slide?

I got it to fire up on Saturday. Runs for a few seconds then floods. Runs longer at WOT. Doesn't start without the choke on full though.
I believe the float isn't closing off the fuel inlet. I ordered a new float and a bunch of other bits and pieces from ThumperTalk.

and a muffler! The expansion chamber isn't enough to keep that lil 50 from waking the dead.

Yup. Start with the clip in the center notch.

I don't think it's flooding if you have to choke it all the way to get it going. Does it smoke black and have a wet plug? If not, it's not getting too little gas, not too much. The pilot jet and/or the main might be still be clogged to some extent.

The float level will also affect the mixture. See if you can find the spec and the procedure to set it right when you install the new one. You should probably add an in-line fuel filter also - it doesn't take much to plug up the carb after you clean it... Make sure you replace the needle and seat when you do the float.

If the needle/seat/float isn't shutting off, the gas should be running out the overflow to the floor.

Let us know what worked.

Jay

1 - 4 of 4 Posts