Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I'd drop in and get my first post. ;D

Just purchased my first SV, an '08 SV650S in the dark blue. It's got 0 miles on it! First time I've owned a bike with 0 miles on it. I think I got a decent deal, consider the condition of the two used ones I looked at for near the same price.

Anyway, not my first bike, although it's been almost two years since I last rode. My previous bike was an '02 Honda 919 that was really a beast, they over-engined that chassis to the point of it almost being scary. Looking forward to riding the SV, the ergonomics seemed to fit me almost perfectly (6'2" and overweight).

Now I just need to find someone to give me a ride to pick it up tomorrow! None of my coworkers are answering their phones... *******s. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
My previous bike was an '02 Honda 919 that was really a beast
The day I purchased my SV I was going to look at an 07 919. Sometimes I wish I had, though I do enjoy my SV around town. Comfort wise it could be a little better..at 5'10" I sometimes feel slightly cramped. The perfromance is great and can not complain about MPG. Welcome...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
welcome and enjoy it. how much did you end up getting it for?
I'm giddy. Can't you tell? ;D

They were asking $5599 plus all the standard things, tax, title, destination fee... Since I financed I got the extended warranty (3-year) as well, all told it came out to just about MSRP out the door, so $6800 or so. I didn't haggle much, I probably could have gotten it for less if I had.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Welcome to the site. Hopefully someone will answer their phone so you can go get that beauty tomorrow.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Picked up the bike today and took a beautiful ride, got some nice twisties down by the lake in Deltona, then headed out towards Edgewater...

Made it to 30 miles and hit gravel in a turn. :(

Fairing on the left is all but destroyed and either the clutch switch is broke or the tilt sensor is stuck, because it won't start. Had to have it towed back to the dealer. :(

Trying to find my health care card so I can go to the hospital. Yeah, I know, should have had that on me. Other than a nearly useless shoulder, I came out of it without much other than some scratches. Gear saves lives, people. Wear proper gear at all times! None of this flip-flop, shorts, no shirt, no helmet crap I see all the time.

Feel like a total noob, -exactly- 30 miles and down I go. Still, got to meet some nice people. A couple in a car helped me get the bike back up and gave me some water, some bikers stopped as well, and another couple stopped later and gave me a sandwich and some water. I like meeting new people, hopefully in the future I won't be meeting them by destroying a beautiful piece of equipment.

Jim and Nate from Deland Motorsports stayed at work an hour and a half after closing to be there when I got back. Both of them were very professional and made me feel like less of an idiot. Those guys rock!

Ah, there's my card. Off to get my shoulder x-rayed. Hopefully I'll get some morphine, 'cause this freakin -hurts-! :(

I will say up until I wrecked, the bike was everything I wanted and more. Plenty of power, nice and easy to transition from right to left, responsive... heck even the new suspension on the 08s was plenty firm for my lard butt!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Welcome and bummer! Sorry you crashed! That really sux! Hope your shoulder is okay. Get that bike fixed and get back on the horse. Remember, gravel is NOT your friend.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fractured my shoulder blade, so no riding for a while. I'm bummed. Percocet is cool though :)

Better my shoulder blade than me neck, I suppose! The bike looked fixable, so come 6 weeks I'll hopefully be riding again. Provided they don't have to do surgery. God I hope not, that doesn't sound fun.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
****, wrecked within 30 miles...that sucks! I'd be piiiiiiissed!

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Get the insurance check and buy aftermarket goodies with the money you save by doing the work yourself ;D

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yep, had insurance. Just gonna have to pay my deductible, they'll even refund my towing expenses. Bonus. I've never wrecked before, I hope they don't jack my rates too much :(

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Sure hope your shoulder isn't too bad!!!!
The bike can be fixed...
In the future, don't go to such great lengths to meet new people :)
Let us know how you're doing.
I think that one of the attractions of motorcycling is how you have to pay attention 100%, 100% of the time, and use skill & experience to to ride without injury or worse.
I'm so sorry this happened, and I sure hope you'll get back on.
If you do, you've learned a valuable lesson to add to your kit of tools for safe riding - be aware of the likely traction level on the surface you're approaching.
I fell pretty hard around 1985-1986. At the time I had no car, only my '75 Honda CB400F daily driver. Was riding home from work around midnight, in about 2" of new slushy snow, doing fine until I approached an intersection at about 15 MPH or less. One very light touch on the front brake and the bike was down, slamming my bony right hip onto the pavement in less than an instant. I guess the slush had frozen at that point. It hurt real bad for a few days, and occasionally for many years later.
Turned me off riding for a while, but I came back & am very glad I did. Very few things we can do in life that are so fun and require so much skill, and not that expensive, if we don't throw the bike down the road :) And are so available most days for regular transportation.
One thing that helped me improve my bike-handling skills was messing around with bicycles - sliding at low speeds on low-traction surfaces, etc, learning to feel the bike losing traction, and how to recover.
But you don't want to think about riding right now.... so just get well soon!!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
got any pictures of the bike?
Nope, shoulda got some, I had my phone with me. Didn't think of it. Depending on how I feel tomorrow I may drive out to the dealer, since I forgot to give them the keys. Might get some pics then. :)

Yeah, I'll ride again, once I heal. It was totally my fault, I was getting cocky and didn't slow down enough for the curve. Needless to say I'll probably be the -slowest- rider out there for a while. ;D

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
and only 30 miles of wear on new tires helped
Yeah. I knew that new tires were typically pretty slick, but never having -had- new tires... that was an eye opener.

Well, a lesson learned. The -hard- way. I'm really looking forward to work on Monday, it should be an interesting mixture of hazing and normal work stuff. Thank god I'm not in a position that requires a lot of manual labor!

Hopefully they won't make me take FMLA, I can't afford 6 weeks unpaid leave at this point. Well, actually, I could. I guess it's only a month and a half... but I'd have to use my credit card and I don't really want to do that. :(

Might drive out to the dealer tomorrow, just realized that I didn't leave them the keys! I think they'll need those.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts