Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After seeing so many great bikes in the SVOTM archives and then reading their corresponding build threads, I thought it might be time to do one of my own. After all, it was really all those bikes that inspired me to turn my SV into a project.

The reason I say retrospective is because I started the work back in 2011 and managed to save a collection of pictures of all the changes I have made. Originally I documented everything on Facebook, but felt it was time to move the images where I know they will be truly appreciated....svrider.com!

So for now, a lot of the posts will be related to work completed over the course of the last couple years. Yes, I know it's slow, but I am in no rush, I just like working on the bike :).

THE PROJECT: Turn a 2009 Suzuki SV650s into a streetfighter style bike
Link to comment thread: http://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3079945#post3079945
If you want any more detail on the install of certain items please let me know. Just tried to keep the posts in this thread short and sweet.

First step, get a bike. Never took a stock photo so here is just one from the internet:

I picked up my 2009 SV650s in early 2011 from a dealership outside San Diego. Bike was brand new, 0 miles, and I payed about $6000 for it. Maybe not the best price but it was new and they threw in $500 in parts, 15-20% off any gear I needed, free first service, and a decent warranty. All in all I was pleased with how it worked out. Got myself a nice textile AlpineStars jacket and put the $500 to my first mods......removing that ugly fender, stock can, and nasty turn signals. Also no more nasty reflectors and completely de-badged aside from the Suzuki emblem on the tank. I like things clean. Picked up a Targa FE w/ rear cat eye signals, some Rumble Concepts flush mount turn signals (if you ever get these, get some kind of spacer, they are darn near invisible looking at the bike head on, dangerous!), and a Two Brothers carbon fiber slip-on. Thanks to the help of a coworker who used to be a Kawasaki tech, I got them all installed very quickly for very cheap:

Next step was to get out on the roads and ride. This was/is my first bike so some seat time was needed. Picked it up while taking the motorcycle safety course and getting my license. Needless to say the roads of SoCal provided a great place for me to learn and progress as a rider (since returning to IL have not grown much). That being said, I figured the next logical mod was to invest in some Motosliders:

The more time I spent in the seat, the more and more I enjoyed the ride, but the less and less I enjoyed the look. Not saying the 2nd gen SV650s looks bad, I mean I bought the bike right, just saying I wanted to change it, make it my own if you will. So since I never had any passengers, the next thing to go was the rear seat and grab bar. Picked up a rear seat cowl from Oneida Suzuki color matched to the 09 grey:

At this point I decided to just leave the bike alone. I had made a few minor cosmetic changes and I was happy. Still no notion of a streetfighter project and really just wanted to get out and ride. So for the remainder of 2011, that's exactly what I did. The bike became my main mode of transportation and I couldn't have been happier:

Comment Thread: http://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=194913&highlight=

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Fast forward to 2012. Moved back to Illinois unfortunately (was on a temporary work assignment outside San Diego) and had to wait out the winter, while my bike sat in my uncle's shop in the company of a few Harley's. As much as I hated the winter, the waiting, and the cold, it gave me some time to think about the bike and really begin the streetfighter project. Not sure what sparked it aside from always liking the streefighter look, but over the winter months I did a ton of research. By the time it warmed up, I had a nice stash of parts/mods ready to be installed. And thanks to the help of a few good friends (Rob and hamsammy4u) and a lot of help from svrider members and threads, everything went on pretty hassle free. Definitely couldn't have done it alone.

First up, a simple install of an aftermarket chain guard. Nothing special, but I like the look much better than the stocker. The SV650 engraving seemed cool to me. You can also see the swingarm sliders in here:

I followed this up with some Bohemian Racing brake and clutch adjustable hand levers. Got these thrown on during my bike's first service. I have since learned to do a lot of the general service things myself and don't intend to take the bike to a shop for those types of things anymore. I have also been able to improve my mechanical skills, I really should have been able to throw the new levers on myself. Oh well:

At this point I decided to start stripping the bike naked:

As you can see, a lot of these pics are taken in a parking lot. Unfortunately, I didn't have the luxury of a garage at the time so not only did I have to work in a parking lot, but I also couldn't do any mods over the winter. This meant that if I wanted to ride at all, I had to work on the bike in stages and keep it as street legal as possible. In order to do this, I installed a gauge bracket and dual 4" round headlights from Aztec8, some folding bar-end mirrors from Moto-Elite, and some Rizoma Zero 11 signals in the front and rear. You can also see the DIY radiator guard I made and sprayed with high heat black paint (not real happy with the look, it is functional but will likely be replaced):

After seeing how large and obnoxious the stock gauge was with the upper fairings and headlight removed, I knew it had to go. As a replacement, I decided to go with the Koso RX-1N speedo/tach. My buddies Rob and hamsammy4u were a huge help with the gauge install. At around the same time, I also installed some Clear Alternatives tail lights:

Next up was some much needed painting. Fortunately, my uncle has been in the pinstriping and graphic design business is whole life, so he was able to get me in touch with a good paint shop. I ordered up an Ermax belly pan and sent it, along with my front fender over to the paint shop. While I waited for the belly pan and the paint I figured it was as good a time as any to get out, ride, and take a couple pics along the way:

After a long wait, I got the the fender and belly pan back and on the bike. Painted a satin black, an exact match to the 09 black frame, literally the same paint:

At this point, it was about midway through the summer and I needed to spend more time riding and less time modding. For the rest of the 2012 riding season, the bike stayed stayed like this:

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Move ahead to early 2013 and I officially have my own garage! Was able to get the bike from my Uncle's shop to my place in early March and get a jump start on some more mods. First thing I did was begin working towards the two-tone color scheme I decided on when I had the belly pan and front fender painted satin black; grey on top, black on bottom. To do this, I needed to get some odds and ends powder coated. Found a great local shop in JTS Coatings & Cycles and got to work. First up, the rear set components, rear passenger pegs, exhaust hanger, radiator guards and those square pieces at the end of each swing arm. Not going to show a pic of everything, but you get the idea, they do very nice work at a very nice price ($5 - $10 per piece depending on the size, and turn around time is crazy fast). Not a perfect color match, but damn close. I am super picky on those kinds of things but have no issue here. No idea what I was thinking when I decided to not coat the brake and clutch foot levers while I had everything apart, but they are next:

While I am still doing cosmetic or visual mods (more powder-coating and/or paint work mainly), I have now shifted my focus to performance mods. Over the winter months I was able to acquire some Galfer stainless steel brake lines, some Vesrah HH brake pads and some new Bel-Ray brake fluid. However, prior to installing these, I dropped the bike of at a local suspension shop to get some 0.85 RaceTech fork springs, emulators, and 15 wt fork oil installed up front, and a used 06-07 zx-10 shock installed in the rear. At about 160 lbs. w/o gear, this set up should be perfect for my weight and moderately aggressive street riding style.

I was planning to install the brake components once I got the bike back from the shop, but due to an unfortunate mistake from the shop, the bike is still in their hands and they are actually installing the brake components for me as part of the compensation. I really wish I was out riding, but the weather in WI and IL has been so erratic that I haven't missed too many good days yet. Should be getting the bike back at the end of the week, will update the build thread then.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
TO DO LIST:
Clean and wax bike (she's dirty)
Clean up, re-tape and re-locate wiring in front and rear
Install coolant hose temp adapter and connect to Koso gauge (includes coolant flush)
Install 1/5 turn throttle from Spears Enterprises
Powder coat brake and shift foot levers, gas cap ring, bar-end mirrors, head light brackets and speedo sensor brackets in satin black
Install Pronator's USB plug
Install Osram Night Racer Plus H4 headlight bulbs (anyone know if I need any kind of relay for these?)
Design a way to mount my iPhone just over the top triple for use as GPS
Paint tank and tail section in satin black to match fenders
Install Evotech radiator and oil cooler guards
Get engine covers painted/coated in satin black

*order is irrelevant*

Some more pics of the bike, the last one is where a cop pulled up next to me and said he liked the bike haha. I'll take the compliment:

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Hopefully getting the bike back Friday so I can continue making modifications!

Going to start with these:
Install 1/5 turn throttle from Spears Enterprises
Powder coat brake and shift foot levers, gas cap ring, bar-end mirrors, head light brackets and speedo sensor brackets in satin black
Wire/Install Pronator's USB plug
Install Osram Night Racer Plus H4 headlight bulbs (anyone know if I need any kind of relay for these?)
Install Evotech radiator and oil cooler guards

Since the weather is just so-so here, I'm hoping to have the whole list done by the end of the long holiday weekend, but we shall see. Will obviously post pics as things get completed.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
So I FINALLY got my bike back from the shop last night, what a freakin nightmare that was. After a royal screw up it took them forever to get everything fixed and back together. Could not have been more irritated with the whole ordeal but at this point I'm just glad to have it back. Needless to say I got right to work last night throwing on the Evotech Performance radiator and oil cooler guards. The radiator guard fits like a glove but the oil cooler guard needs some minor adjustments to tighten up the fit, I'm thinking some weather strip to fill in a tiny gap. I was also able to throw in some new Osram nightracer plus headlights that are clearly whiter and brighter than stock (left is Osram, right is stock):

Before I forget, the shop did some pretty heavy suspension work for me. They put RaceTech .85 springs, gold valve emulators, and 15 wt fork oil up front (with all new seals) and a used 06-07 zx10 shock in the rear. Thanks to the issue I had with them, they also installed some Galfer SS brake lines and new Vesrah pads. I also convinced them to powder coat the wheels white for me. Planning to go black on white for the color scheme when all is said and done:

So over the long weekend I was able to accomplish quite a bit on my "To-Do" list, probably about half. As I already mentioned, I was able to get the guards on and headlights installed Friday night. Saturday and Sunday I was also able to wire up and install Pronator's USB charger and mock-up a bracket for an iPhone mount. The great thing about the USB charger is that I wired it to a SAE plug so I can swap it out with the ring terminal connection to my battery that I use with my Battery Tender JR. I couldn't find a decent mount to work with my gauge set up in the front, so I made a bracket from sheet metal that will sit on the right side, above the top triple, and bolt in place underneath the triple. Still needs some modifications but the clearance should be plenty. Once I have the fitment finalized I'll get it powder coated satin black to match the top triple and make it far less noticeable. Lastly, I was able to clean up all the wiring in the trunk (after snapping and repairing the wire to my left rear turn signal unfortunately):

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
TO DO LIST:

1) Powder coat brake and shift foot levers, gas cap ring, bar-end mirrors, speedo sensor brackets and iPhone mount bracket in satin black
2) Complete iPhone bracket and RAM mount install
3) Install temperature adapter in radiator hose for Koso gauge (includes coolant flush)
4) Paint or powder coat engine covers, tank and tail section satin black to match the frame

Unfortunately, the shop I normally go to for powder coating had their compressor blow up on them so I wasn't able to get that accomplished over the weekend. Just got the 1/5 turn throttle from Spears Enterprises installed. Really simple swap, almost seemed too easy. Took it for a spin through the neighborhood last night and everything seemed in order. Just far less play in the throttle now, not that it's good or bad. Also included a more recent shot of the bike:

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
TO DO LIST:

1) Powder coat brake and shift foot levers, gas cap ring, bar-end mirrors, speedo sensor brackets and iPhone mount bracket in satin black (powder coating shop still out of commission until next week)
2) Install temperature adapter in radiator hose for Koso gauge (includes coolant flush)
3) Paint or powder coat engine covers, tank and tail section satin black to match the frame (suggestions, advice, recommendations welcome)

So last night I was able to finish up the iPhone mount for my bike. I couldn't stand the size of the standard RAM mounts and they weren't going to work with my aftermarket gauge so I decided to design something myself. Mocked up the bracket with some paper and carboard, then traced the pattern onto some 22 ga sheet steel and cut it with tin snips. Not the easiest or prettiest method, but I think it turned out ok with a little TLC and lots of sanding/filing. I then attached a RAM model specific cradle for the iPhone 4 to the bracket. The cradle is a pretty tight fit and I think will have no problem keeping the phone in place while riding. I did add a couple strips of electric tape just to snug the fit a bit more for good measure. The bracket and cradle combo sits above the top triple, resting on the center nut. It's held in place by 2 bolts that run just underneath the top triple. Will post a review after the first test ride:

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
TO DO LIST:
1) Powder coat brake and shift foot levers, bar-end mirrors, speedo sensor brackets and iPhone mount bracket in satin black (dropped all the parts off last night, hopefully getting them back next week)
2) Install temperature adapter in radiator hose for Koso gauge (includes coolant flush)
3) Paint or powder coat engine covers, tank and tail section satin black to match the frame (suggestions, advice, recommendations welcome)

POTENTIAL FUTURE MODS:
1 - Superlite steel sprocket (black) and DID chain (white?)
2 - Galfer front and rear wave rotors
3 - Get exhaust piping black (DEI exhaust wrap kit or powder coat, leaning toward powder coat)
4 - Rizoma brake fluid reservoirs, front and rear (black)
5 - Chop current exhaust and mount higher if possible or go with entirely new exhaust (slip-on vs. full system, vance and hines cs one black, yoshimura)
6 - Wire LED for gas warning light (or FuelBot by TeeRiver/Soliton)
7 - Gear position indicator
8 - Radiator shrouds (stock from Oneida or aftermarket from Ermax, opinions welcome as I am very undecided)

Put 170 rough miles on the bike yesterday and the mount held up great. The iPhone won't be going anywhere in that thing. There is a bit of a glare so I will need to make an adjustment to tilt the phone towards me a bit. All in all though, very happy with how everything worked out. Glad I decided to make the mount myself, much cleaner (once powder coated) and lower profile.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
So I got all the parts back from the the powder coating shop last night (JTS Coatings & Cycles). In total I gave them 20+ pieces, all very small and very much a pain to powder coat, and as usual, they did a fantastic job. Just have to do a little clean up to meet clearances in a few tight spots. Took some quick pics of everything back on the bike. Bike needs a wash in the worst way, but you get the idea. Of everything,I'm most pleased with the way the iPhone mount turned out:

Comment Thread: http://www.svrider.com/forum/showthr...913&highlight=

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
TO DO LIST:
1) Install temperature adapter in radiator hose for Koso gauge (includes coolant flush)
2) Paint or powder coat engine covers, tank and tail section satin black to match the frame (suggestions, advice, recommendations welcome)
3) Get exhaust piping black (DEI exhaust wrap kit or powder coat if possible, leaning toward powder coat)

POTENTIAL FUTURE MODS:
1 - Superlite steel sprocket (black) and DID chain (white?) (likely won't do until I need to replace the stockers)
2 - Galfer front and rear wave rotors (as much as I want them, it makes more sense to wait until the stockers go bad)
3 - Rizoma brake fluid reservoirs, front and rear (black, hopefully have them waiting the next time I change the brake fluid)
4 - Chop current exhaust and mount higher if possible or go with entirely new exhaust (slip-on vs. full system, vance and hines cs one black, yoshimura)
5 - Wire LED for gas warning light (or FuelBot by TeeRiver/Soliton)
6 - Gear position indicator
7 - Radiator shrouds (stock from Oneida or aftermarket from Ermax, opinions welcome as I am very undecided)

Posted a couple old pics below. Forgot I had these. Hopefully I'll get some more recent ones soon, maybe even today:

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
So after riding the bike around and looking it over, I realized that the stock rider foot pegs were bothering the heck out of me. After getting all the other bits and pieces down there powder coated, I knew it was time to replace them. You can't powder coat with the rubber on there so I really had no other choice. I just hope the vibrations without the rubber aren't too bad, although they are pretty bad currently. Oh the sacrifices one must make for a cool look haha.

TO DO LIST:
1) Install Competition Werkes black rider foot pegs (may have to powder coat if the blacks don't match up well)
4) Get exhaust piping black (DEI exhaust wrap kit or powder coat if possible, leaning toward powder coat)

POTENTIAL FUTURE MODS:
1 - Superlite steel sprocket (black) and DID chain (white?) (likely won't do until I need to replace the stockers)
2 - Galfer front and rear wave rotors (as much as I want them, it makes more sense to wait until the stockers go bad)
3 - Rizoma brake fluid reservoirs, front and rear (black, hopefully have them waiting the next time I change the brake fluid)
4 - Chop current exhaust and mount higher if possible or go with entirely new exhaust (slip-on vs. full system, vance and hines cs one black, yoshimura)
5 - Wire LED for gas warning light (or FuelBot by TeeRiver/Soliton)
6 - Gear position indicator
7 - Radiator shrouds (stock from Oneida or aftermarket from Ermax, opinions welcome as I am very undecided)
8 - Powder coat clutch and brake hand levers satin black (they came in black but have since faded to a copper-ish color that I am not too fond of)
9 - Get a windscreen (thinking of purchasing the one from Aztec 8 and then cutting for the desired shape/fit)
10 - New tires (leaning towards Bridgestone Battleax Hypersport S20's)

Comment Thread: http://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3079945#post3079945

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Got the pegs on, and to my surprise, the vibrations actually seemed more subdued in comparison to the stock pegs. I thought for sure that the lack of rubber would make the vibrations much worse. I'll have to test them out with my riding boots to be sure. Also got a nice little coiled/stretchy USB cord for charging my iPhone/using it as GPS during riding. No more long and cumbersome cord flapping in the wind. Debating whether or not to take the pegs in for powder coating, I know they are already black but this way it would be an exact match to the other odds/ends on the bike:

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So I recently purchased a 2014 Honda crf250l, so it looks like mods on the SV will be taking a back seat for a while. Hopefully I can take care of the last few items over the winter. Would really like to get the engine, clutch, and sprocket covers all painted up in satin black, and maybe a few other odds/ends type stuff. We shall see:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts