Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had this jacket for a few months now, so I can offer some pretty good info on comfort and features...but I havent been down in it yet.

There are a bazillion good pics over at newenough.com and I'm not so great with a camera, so I wont be able to top the quality of these pics, so I'll reference them.

This is a textile jacket with dual density armor in the arms, shoulders, and back...note that the armor, to my knowledge, is NOT CE approved.  I've heard some guys complaining on here that JR stuff is crappy quality, breaking zippers and frayed threads, etc...but I've had no issues such as this with this jacket.  Feels well constructed, and feels like it will last a long time.  Very comfortable.

The textile jacket material feels pretty heavy and rugged (as far as I can tell), and should provide some abrasion protection in a crash.

I bought this jacket with the thought that I would be able to wear it pretty much year round, as it has a zip out liner and lots of vents and is waterproof.  Well, I was wrong.  VERY wrong.  When the liner is zipped in, it is very warm...I was surprised at how warm.  No hardcore cold weather riding in it yet, but I have worn it in temps down to 45 degrees at highway speeds, with just a thin long sleeved shirt underneath, and I was very comfortable.  Warm and cozy, in fact.  I wouldnt have a second thought about wearing this jacket and little else at temps below 40 degrees.

For warm weather riding, there are vents on the biceps, and two vents on the rear, and also two zip out panels on the chest.  I really thought that the venting would be sufficient for hot weather, but it is NOT.  NOT AT ALL.  I can feel a little cool spot on my upper arms, with no circulation...no cool spots at the chest vents at all.

The problem, IMO, is in the waterproofing.  Look at this pic again...it's kinda hard to see, but underneath the mesh, see the white material under there?  That's the waterproofing.  I could be wrong, but it feels to me like it's some kind of thin plastic...and I think that's what makes this jacket so warm.  Even with all the vents open in warm weather, this jacket is VERY HOT.  I find it extremely uncomfortable at temps above 85 or so.  We had some cool mornings here last week, so I wore it...was 62 degrees, I was going 85 mph on the freeway, no liner and all vents open - very comfortable.

To give you some perspective, I am NOT one that complains about being hot.  I grew up down here in the south, and I love warm weather...here it is, September, and I'm already starting to dread the upcoming winter.  I dont get uncomfortably hot very easily, and I am a big wuss about being cold.  The day last week that I took this jacket (62 degrees 30 miles at 85 mph) I would have been violently shivering in my mesh jacket.  But wearing this JR jacket in the heat of summer, I sweat SO MUCH that I quickly lose enough water and electrolytes that I can tell it is affecting my judgement.

The verdict?  A nice looking, nice fitting jacket.  Claimed to be 100% waterproof (havent tested, but I have no doubt that it is, due to the construction).  Not a good value, IMO (I paid full retail at a local shop - $199, and I thought I would be able to wear it year round).  Basically worthless for hot weather.  Decent (but not great) armor.  Deceptively warm in cool climates - doesnt look like it would be nearly as warm as it actually is. 

I ended up buying a mesh jacket for hot weather, but I'm going to hold on to this JR jacket for cold mornings and winter riding.  It's very comfortable, very warm, waterproof, and looks great.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Thanks for the write-up. I've had a VERY similar experience with my 1.5-yr-old JR Meteor 4.0. It's held up VERY well - no problems whatsoever. The 4.0 is too hot for anything over 90* or so as well - especially in the sweltering humidity here in central SC (I fall back to my FirstGear Mesh Tex II when it's hotter than that). The liner only goes in if it's colder than 45*-50* or so (which I rarely ride in). I'm pretty sure there is no plastic waterproof liner in mine though... the waterproofing is in the material itself. In fact, a friend of mine washed his (soaked it in Woolite in a tub) - and found out the hard way that it was no longer waterproof. A coating of Scotchguard helped bring it back. The label pretty much says not to wash it in any way or dry clean it - so I don't know HOW they expect you to CLEAN it!

As for Joe Rocket quality in general... I've had very good luck with my JR GPX gloves (1.5 years), my JR Revolution boots (1+ year), and my JR Alter Ego pants (about 6 months). No broken zippers, failed seams or anything. I think JR is like a lot of other companies... if you buy their cheaper stuff, you pretty much get what you pay for - but their mid/high-end stuff is pretty good. At least that's been my experience. I know some others here have had problems. Many of them got replacements from JR though - so it appears that they do stand behind their stuff if you do have problems.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I went down 25mph in this jacket slid a couple feet across the pavement on my left shoulder \ arm. It held up wonderfully. A small tear a couple millimeters long on the shoulder pad. I have rode in the rain with this jacket it kept me warm and dry everything from a sprinkle to downpour. I recommend it for a Textile jacket. Also the zippers were nice to keep cool while sitting in traffic.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've got the Meteor 5.0 and was riding in upstate NY for my first month. At 75mph in 38F for about 35miles, my upperbody was warm and toasty. Now I'm in Western NC and have found that yeah if you leave it zipped up, you will burn up, but if you leave the jacket unzipped and loosen the wrists you can stay relatively cool upwards of 95F. But yeah it is pretty warm inside even with out the liner.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts