Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 00sv and have been getting terrible mpg

bike has:
stock air filter
micron full race

and

jetting is:
140 mains
17.5 pilots (i believe, as PO used as race bike, but didn't recall for sure)
2.5 turns on fuel screw
idk what needle this is,

but this is how its atm:

i'm curious as to others' setups and what sort of fuel economy is being observed.

thanks a bunch guys!!!

EDIT: its about 35-40 mpg i'm calling horrible.
also, stock gearing.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
What is "horrible" to you? Big range for people

And have you recently put new rear brake pads? I've heard of some pads hanging up a little bit and killing mileage.

·
Registered
151 Posts
2000 SV currently about 9.5K on the OD

elvation : about 700ft
Stock gear/sprocket
140 Mains
17.5 pilots
Stock needles raised 2 shims(washers)
Partial desnorkle (1/2 or 2/3's.) didnt notice any difference was just bored one day with my dremel)
Chopped Yosh RS3 slipon
Not sure how many turns out the fuel mix screw since it took a fair amount of time to dial it in but my plugs look great

42mpg average with a mix of about 30 highway/70 city, backroads, traffic and Im not gentle

Somthing like 60mpg I believe was my best but it was all highway staying about 65-75mph

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What is "horrible" to you? Big range for people

And have you recently put new rear brake pads? I've heard of some pads hanging up a little bit and killing mileage.
sorry i thought i put that in there. :p

35-40ish when some on 1st gens are in the 50s regularly without "driving like grannys"

no new pads.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
I doubt it's jetting. I'd be looking somewhere else. Double check the brakes. I know you didn't change them, but still look at them.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I doubt it's jetting. I'd be looking somewhere else. Double check the brakes. I know you didn't change them, but still look at them.
well, thing is that i was sitting at the trackday waiting to go out for a session and i could smell my exhaust instantly when coming to a stop. when i'm out in town, i can also smell it at traffic lights. straight out of the can, i smell rich burn. i know its running very rich and that means (or so i believe) that jetting is off. i just wish i had dyno access for determining how rich its running.

thanks

·
Registered
274 Posts
I don't see that as horrible.. I'm happy when I see >45 mpg between fill-ups. My avg is probably around 44 even with 70/30 hwy/city driving. I think that's where your biggest crux is. I don't think I've ever gotten close to 60 mpg even with nearly all hwy. AND I'm geared 17/46. Granted, I'm on not on a curvy.. didn't realize there was a difference in observed mileage between the generations.

And when my bike is cold, I believe I can smell it running a bit rich, but can't say I smell it sitting at lights after it's warmed up.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't see that as horrible.. I'm happy when I see >45 mpg between fill-ups. My avg is probably around 44 even with 70/30 hwy/city driving. I think that's where your biggest crux is. I don't think I've ever gotten close to 60 mpg even with nearly all hwy. AND I'm geared 17/46. Granted, I'm on not on a curvy.. didn't realize there was a difference in observed mileage between the generations.

And when my bike is cold, I believe I can smell it running a bit rich, but can't say I smell it sitting at lights after it's warmed up.
interesting... my 06 gets 50-55 mpg 50/50 hwy/city. yours should be better than that i would think.
how twitchy is your right wrist? :p what RPMs are you seeing at 60 mph? i mean actual mph not indicated if you have been able to determine. if not, whats RPM at indicated 65 mph? also, 120/60 front or 120/70?

when cold, if my understanding is correct, the fast idle electronics is making it run a bit rich until a certain temperature.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Sorry if this is obvious, but the plastic donut on the needle needs to be snugged up against the c clip. If you run it like in the picture, you are going to be rich. That said, my '00 used to get around 37mpg no matter what I did. Even with the jetting tweaked using a dyno.
I get 45-46 on my '08.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry if this is obvious, but the plastic donut on the needle needs to be snugged up against the c clip. If you run it like in the picture, you are going to be rich. That said, my '00 used to get around 37mpg no matter what I did. Even with the jetting tweaked using a dyno.
I get 45-46 on my '08.
Yeah, I just wanted it to be clear what order it was assembled in. When installed they all collapse to a tight fit.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
This might not help the thread, but with stock filter, exhaust, and jetting, I've gotten consistent 52-58 mpg throughout the 13,000+ miles I've put on my bike, regardless of the roads I'm riding. Hearing that mileage can get to the mid 30's with jetting changes makes me more satisfied with leaving things the way they are.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This might not help the thread, but with stock filter, exhaust, and jetting, I've gotten consistent 52-58 mpg throughout the 13,000+ miles I've put on my bike, regardless of the roads I'm riding. Hearing that mileage can get to the mid 30's with jetting changes makes me more satisfied with leaving things the way they are.
well, you see, the previous owner added stuff and sure it may make a bit more power now (if any, cuz i don't feel it), the fuel economy has suffered too much because since being set up, many years have passed and many variables have changed. now i'm trying to see figure out how to rectify the problem. i like to learn and tinker anyway, so this is convenient in a sick/demented way. :p

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
I experienced about a 15% drop in fuel economy with jetting, from what I understand, that's normal

·
Registered
274 Posts
interesting... my 06 gets 50-55 mpg 50/50 hwy/city. yours should be better than that i would think.
how twitchy is your right wrist? :p what RPMs are you seeing at 60 mph? i mean actual mph not indicated if you have been able to determine. if not, whats RPM at indicated 65 mph? also, 120/60 front or 120/70?

when cold, if my understanding is correct, the fast idle electronics is making it run a bit rich until a certain temperature.
My right wrist can be twitchy, but infrequently. I'm running 120/70 in front, and my GPS still indicates 80mph when my gauge bounces between 86 and 87. My biggest enemy is probably speed, but if I try to run 65 on the interstates around here, I'll become a hood ornament in no time. And to be fair, hwy driving around here is often either an 80mph free-for-all, or a parking lot :rolleyes:

Also, wasn't it '06 when they went to dual spark plugs? And doesn't that have the potential to increase efficiency?

And yes, I would expect a cold engine to run a bit rich, in case I sounded baffled by my comment on that.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Also, wasn't it '06 when they went to dual spark plugs? And doesn't that have the potential to increase efficiency?
No I only have 1 plug per cylinder.

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Why don't you try dropping the needle a notch and see what happens? (raise the clip) This will lean out the midrange a bit and you should/might notice a little better mileage. If it gets boggy...put it back where it was.

I've read about DynoJet kits getting lousy mileage but I have no idea how you can tell if that is what you've got. Try the inexpensive things first to get a feel for how it responds. Turning the idle needles in a quarter or half turn should help the mileage and low speed running richness too. I'd keep dropping the needle and reducing the idle mixture until you see running problems....then back up a notch and you're as good as you can get.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
When I had fuel screw at 2.25, exhaust would puff a lot,

I emailed factory pro and Marc (great guy) told me theyre the only ones putting that champfer on their needles in the clip area.
I'm pulling stuff out of bike for tinkering tomorrow and going for an mpg ride (well at least one)

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
mmmk...

rode it 60-70 miles today. hwy, stopandgo, city, etc a good mix. didn't fill up as i had to hurry home.

opened carbs and checked adjusted stuff. still smells rich, but i think maybe a bit better.

this is what i found:
fuel screw 2.5 turns and 3.25 turns. vibrations wound it out .75 turns. :mad:
pilots are actually 15s and mains are verified 140s

fuel screw reset to 2.5/2.5
needle moved in one increment.

everything reinstalled. as i mentioned earlier, still smells rich, but maybe a bit better.

another ride tomorrow after fillup and i'll find out if all this effort was in vain.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ok, so after adjusting carbs i got 47 and 47 mpg on two trips. then i tried to stay below 5000 rpm at highway speeds (<68 mph). this time, it was 52 mpg.

seems just the fuel screw and needle shimming caused the garbage mpg. i'm gonna try and shim the needle even further to maybe lean out the mix a bit more, as it still smells rich. also, i'm putting in cooler (CR9E) plugs, so that should help minimize detrimental effect if i end up running lean.

but this is all gonna be after (and if the bike survives :p ) summit point raceway's shanendoah circuit tomorrow!

thanks everyone for input

1 - 20 of 20 Posts