Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently bought an 02 sv650 and the carbs are needing a rebuild and I figured I'd upgrade it in the process. I ordered some k&n pod filters, 17.5 pilots, mikuni 200 and 210 mains, and rebuild kits but I'm not certain which main jets to go with.

I'm at 4500ft elevation with a stock motor and still have the stock exhaust but I'll be adding a slip on soon. I'll be going to sea level every once in a while but I don't want to have to change the jets when I do.

I'm thinking 210s on both carbs or a 210 on the front carb and a 200 on the back. Any thoughts on staggering mains or is it better to match them up? Also I've read that for each 1000 feet of elevation you go up, you jet down one size(where sizes are in 2.5 increments). Anyone know if that's true?

·
Super Moderator
7,038 Posts
Not sure on the jet sizes, but pod filters aren't necessarily an upgrade.

If you look at all of the current race bikes you'll notice they all have airboxes. Back in the old days, the airbox was a second-thought, and was tiny and restrictive. Now there's much more thought that goes into its design - it's much larger and is tuned for resonance.

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
Not sure on the jet sizes, but pod filters aren't necessarily an upgrade.

If you look at all of the current race bikes you'll notice they all have airboxes. Back in the old days, the airbox was a second-thought, and was tiny and restrictive. Now there's much more thought that goes into its design - it's much larger and is tuned for resonance.
Big +1 on this. Pods make the bike a lot more finicky about jetting, and most people end up with about the same power up top but less in the midrange.
Of course, then you hear them rave about "how hard it pulls up top", when it's just the transition from the weak midrange that makes it feel that way.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts