Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the story...

In '75, my dad bought a brand new, crated FLH 74" (1200cc) engine from a Harley shop in California. He bought a used 4-speed kicker tranny out of an FLH from a junk yard, mileage unknown. He then bought a Paughco hardtail frame, an XLH front end, and other bits to build a bike.

He built it while in the Coast Guard, often working on it aboard his ship.

He says that he probably put less than 3k miles on it, and never rode it further than 90 miles because it just hurt too much.

In '81 he was in a minor accident (left hand turner at an intersection). It tweaked the front end and sprained his ankle badly.

Being a construction worker, with work being on again, off again, and having four kids, he put it away.

It's been sitting ever since.

Two years ago I talked him into giving it to me to rebuild. He agreed, as long as I promised not to sell it or give it away. No problem there!

When I got it, it was in sore shape, and today isn't much better, but the rebuild will start again in ernest in a couple of months.

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: jbswear's '75 Paughco Shovelhead rebuild

I split the cases tonight. Not pretty, but it doesn't matter. All the internals will be replaced with a stroker kit to increase the displacement. That means the wheels, rods, bearing, and all else that moves up and down and around.

As shown in the above photos, the oil is in sorry shape.

Left side case with the pressed-in flywheels, rods, and piston assembly:

Right side case, showing the sludge that's built up over years of sitting:

Yummy!

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Finally took the crank assembly to a local Harley performance shop this weekend. I'll be getting a rebuild cost estimate on it Monday. He tells me that the water in the crank that I found when I opened it wasn't because the engine wasn't sealed; he said it was condensation. When I told him it was sitting for 27 years before I opened it up he said he wouldn't expect any less.

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Newest breaking news, and man, is it good!

Some of you have seen me mention www.shovelhead.us/forum -- it's a group of guys devoted to this particular engine much like we're all devoted to the SV. Anyway, they hang out and ask the same questions we do, but for engines that went out of production nearly thirty years ago.

And, just like here, they have their group of core "gurus" that have forgotten more about the engine than most of us will ever learn.

And, just like here, they have members that have parts laying around from various rebuilds that are just taking up space.

Well, yesterday I asked for advice on buying/rebuilding the crank on this thing. Many opinions were offered, suggestions made, and all around a good bit of advice.

Then one of the guys made me an offer that amazed me--a complete crank ass'y with only 10k miles on it. He put in a large stroker kit in his engine and just has this one in a box. All I have to get for it will be pistons, wrist pins, and rings, basically.

Total price? $50 + shipping. Mind you that a new ass'y runs anywhere from $700 at the low end to over $1100 on the upper end, depending on brand.

So here's what's coming my way soon. This one ass'y is what's been keeping me from doing much on the whole bike--I've been terrified at the price of rebuilding it, so I never looked into it, as I figured it would be the single most expensive part of my build.

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

T&O told me last week that the cylinders were bored .010" over to clean up the walls, new matching pistons were mounting to the crank ass'y, and now the whole thing is in line to be balanced and trued. I told them not to worry about rushing it out as it'll be a while before I have the cases ready for reassembly.

While waiting for that I decided to rejet the CV carb and put on the air cleaner I ordered from Doc, the go-to guy when it comes to putting a CV on these old engines. The air cleaner he suggested, and I had to go with it, as Dad had a Maltese Cross brake light that I'll replace with a similar piece; the one on the bike is shattered and missing.

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Did my first attempt at soda blasting today. I really like the way it works. It uses a TON of soda and makes one helluva mess.

Here are two pieces after about 7 pounds of soda. I had to stop because my air compressor finally gave up--it got too hot and had to cool down. I'll finish them up later this week. After that I'll primer and paint them. The engine cases will be aluminum while the rocker boxes will be satin black to match the cylinders.

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Well, spoke with the indy last week. He said that to rebuild the transmission would cost more than buying a good, serviceable used or rebuilt transmission already done. I'm missing a lot of parts from it. I would have him do the work, so he doesn't gain anything by telling me to buy another.

He did, however, have a 4-speed Ratchet that he took out of another bike when the owner upgraded to a 5-speed Ratchet. He hadn't looked through it, so he didn't know the condition inside. I had him open it up and inspect it, and to let me know if it would be worth buying--it wouldn't be worth it if I needed to rebuild it.

I talked to him earlier today and he said it's in fine shape--dogs are good, it shifts easily, the ratcheting mechanism works, there are no contaminants in the oil--basically, a good used transmission. Not only that, but it's complete, minus the mounting plate, kicker lever, and brace. That's not a problem--I have all of those parts already. He simply recommended replacing the seals in it for peace of mind; they aren't leaking.

So I forked over the $500 (he could have easily gotten $750 or so) that he wanted for it. I consoled myself by knowing that I can sell the questionable transmission I still have for a good $300 or more.

I had planned on getting the engine put together by the end of this year and then the transmission by next spring. Now that I have the transmission, I'll just hope on getting the engine done by the spring.

I'll put pics up later.

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Here's what I had:

Here's what I picked up yesterday:

A complete 4-speed kicker transmission for my build. It does need some work, so I'll soon begin tearing it apart to refresh it.

Looks like a silicone sealant was used to "fix" a leak. I'll be fixing that, too.

Closer shot:

I'll probably replace the chrome plated kicker cover with the raw aluminum one from my now "spare" transmission.

Just like with my other transmission, one of the mounting studs is loose. Looks like this one was simply plugged with a bolt. While I have it torn apart, I'll fix this by using a helicoil.

All in all, I think it's a sound transmission. With the help of the Shovelhead forum I should be able to return it to new condition.

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Started pulling the transmission apart this afternoon.

Document every thing in pics! Put all parts removed into Ziploc baggies labeled with Magic Marker! Otherwise you'll never get it back together AND/OR you'll be buying parts that you lose.

Shift arm removed; mounting lock nut and washer put back onto assembly for safe keeping.

All of the screws in the lid are removed.

Pulled the kicker cover off.

This looks kinda scary...If that's what I think it is (metal shavings) it's a good thing I opened this thing up.

Gears and throw-out rod in the kicker cover.

Main shaft nut and washer removed. I'll need to clean the threads of the Locktite that is there.

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

I ground down the jaws on a cheap 4" gear puller today and was able to remove the kick starter clutch from the transmission. By doing so, I found the source of the metal flakes in the oil. I'm hoping it's the ONLY source of the metal flakes, especially since I see no other worn teeth or shredded surfaces anywhere else. I don't know what would cause this type of wear, but I imagine the guys at the Shovel site will fill me in.

Here is the "top" of the clutch piece. The ramped teeth actually face into the transmission and engage the drive gear on the starter side of the inner transmission wall. This piece is a press-fit piece on the end of the main shaft; it's held in place with a key.

Here's the inside of the kick starter cavity, seen from what would be the right side of the bike. The left shaft is the main shaft; the right one is the counter shaft.

I have an impact driver, but don't have a slotted bit large enough to remove the six screws you see. Hopefully I can pick up a set tomorrow evening.

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Pulled the shifter forks off, along with removing of the counter shaft and its gears. Will try to get the main shaft out tomorrow evening.

High-tech "drift" for knocking out the shifter fork rod:

Counter shaft's gears:

The gears still left "together" are held together with a lock ring.

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Transmission is almost completely apart:

This little spring clip that holds 3rd gear in place was a bear to get out. I'd get it out of the groove, but when I grabbed the ends of it, it would slip back into place. Finally got it completely out!

3rd gear with its retaining washer and clip:

When the main shaft slipped free, I thought it was odd that I saw these rollers loose. In the "early" model of my transmission, they were loose, but I have a "late" model ('76-79), and they're supposed to be captured in a race. Oh well. We'll figure it out.

Main shaft out and 3rd gear removed.

Hmmm...What do we have here? It looks like it was a REALLY good idea to tear this transmission apart. That shredded metal you see there is what was "holding" the bearing together. If the rollers had somehow come out and into the gear box, it would have been destroyed. Literally.

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

I started cleaning the transmission bits (gears and such) with kerosene today. I found some wear on the shift forks and on the shift clutches, but I don't know if it's enough to warrant replacing them; I'll find out tomorrow. I only found one piece of metal in the case, and that appears to be part of the bearing face that was mushroomed in the above photo. All in all, it looked really clean inside.

See that rounded corner by the base of my thumb? That's the wear on the shift clutch:

You can see some wear on the leading edges on the face of the shift clutch:

See the shiny surface near the tip? That's the wear on one of the shift forks (there are two):

1 - 20 of 70 Posts