Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this hunk o' junk from a seller on Craigslist about a year and a half ago, not realizing what I was getting myself into, or how long it would take to get it running.

$175

I figure I'll eventually get it on the road. The engine is now running, but finances have kept me from getting it road worthy. Now that's changed, so it'll be on the road by this fall, I hope.

As bought:

New shocks and "newish" pipes:

After about four hours of tinkering, and 20 kicks to prime the carbs, it started on the first kick. (J-Dog recording)

Then, the next day, disaster.

Little did I know that there was still a bit of solidified gas in the tank. The fresh gas I put in dissolved that, and it flowed into the carbs like mud. Opened them up, and this is what I found:

Off to clean them again...

Here's what they look like now.

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Remember the Stimulus Check we got last year? I used some of it to buy several pieces a guy was selling on eBay. He lives an hour and a half away, so I drove up to get them.

Rear wheel + drum + brake pedal, all in great shape: $0.99
Front wheel + caliper, great shape: $20
Great seat, plus decent spare: $41
Headlamp + bucket: $15
Chain guard: $5

Picked up a '81 GS550 front brake/caliper to replace the crapped out set up on the GT for about $20.

My gas tank was stolen, so I bought a used one from a seller on eBay. BUT, it isn't for the right bike. It's for a GT, but not the 380. Either the 550 or 750. Either way, it's too big. The mounting brackets underneath are too wide. So, I cut off the mounting studs from the frame, gave the tank to a buddy, and he fabbed up a rod to fit properly. I just need to tack weld it in place. Note how in this image, the tank rises up in the back:

Drilled out rod:

New piece in place:

To make the tank fit in the back, I had to hammer in the belly a bit and cut off a bracket:

Now it sits just about perfectly, but still needs a bit of touching to line up just right:

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So today I decided to see how the SV's naked bars would look mounted on. I pulled them off during the GSX-R conversion and had them laying around. They're mounted backwards and turned down.

Before:

After:

It feels comfortable, well, as comfy as just sitting on the bike can tell me. It's a bit leaned forward, but not nearly as aggressive as my SV's new stance. We'll see if I keep it.

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Finally polished the gauge lenses today. Took less than fifteen minutes with a 3M headlamp polishing kit. The cracks you see can't be removed without replacing the whole thing.

Before:

First sanding pad:

Second sanding pad:

First polishing pad:

Second polishing pad (with compound):

Both done:

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Finally decided to start working on the GT again, what with the weather turning nice, and, well, I've had it for two and a half years and haven't YET ridden it!

Many months ago I took the wiring loom out to inspect it and resoldered the connections on the key switch. I think I damaged it when I did that. I've tried several times since then to set the timing, but was getting no sparks at the points.

Yesterday I set off in ernest to figure out what was wrong. Traced everything with a multimeter: grounds, power, etc. Everything checked out, but nothing came on with the switch. No parking light in park, and no other lights in On.

So I pulled off the switch. It appears that it's damaged, as I don't have continuity from the hot (battery) wire to the power wire that feeds all the rest of the bike.

Just won a switch set from eBay. We'll see if that fixes it.

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Newest update:

In the year + since I "upgraded" the stock brake for a slightly more capable front brake from a 198? GS550 front end, I took it apart to rebuild it, but lost some of the parts when I moved.

Fast forward to several weeks ago. I ordered what I thought was the same brake from a different year GS. It seems that the CALIPER was the same, but the floating bracket was different. I was able to find the mounting bracket from the other brake I had. BUT I couldn't get one of the mounting bolts loose on the incorrect brake.

Break out the Dremel and two reinforced fiber cutting discs later and I have cut the head of the offending bolt off and have removed the still-put-together caliper and swapped the brackets.

It fits on the front leg!

Later this week I'll fill and flush it and see if it actually works.

Waiting on a master link and a pilot's footpeg from eBay now. The saga continues...

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got the master link on but the footpeg doesn't fit. Awaiting a replacement...

I have a nice, healthy spark at the C breaker, but nothing at the L and R breakers. Awaiting assistance from the fellows over at the 2-stroke forum I'm on...

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thirty minutes of tugging and fitting, and here is what I now have:

I have since straightened the cover so that it isn't wrinkled under the grab strap. I may just remove it altogether though, as it really serves no purpose.

I haven't decided if I'll put the chrome trim back on; if I do, I'll have to source out the little keepers for the underside. They got destroyed when pulled off.

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
In the past few months I've tried to get the bike running, but it would only fire on one cylinder. I am getting great, fat sparks on all three, so it's a fueling problem. To confirm, I can get it running (poorly) on one cylinder if I keep the enricher open, and then spray brake cleaner into the throats of the other two carbs. Then they fire.

So, after letting it sit for two months, I borrowed my buddies sonic cleaner (again) and disassembled the carbs. I ran them in it for a few hours today. I scrubbed them down with a toothbrush and a bar of soap to get the last bit of grunge off the bodies and some lacquered gas in one of the throats. I put them back together, but am waiting on some advice from other GT riders as to setting up the synchronizing rods.

Will this fix it?

Comment thread here:

http://forum.svrider.com/showthread.php?t=59822&page=2

1 - 15 of 15 Posts