Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Read Only
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Riding through Denver last week on a 97 degree June day. Pulled up to a stop light and the guy that dropped in next to me was on a vicious looking 2020 Ducati. As soon as he brought it to a stop he killed the engine....im looking over wondering whats up. So i ask. Are you having trouble. He said no but if he doesn't cut the engine it will over heat. I smiled in my helmet and stroked my tank. Not one time has my beautiful blue girl forced me to shut down due to the temp. Thank you SUZUKI!!!

·
MOTORADOR
10,820 Posts
:ROFLMAO:

·
Super Moderator
8,597 Posts
That's not a cooling system design problem, it's called "character", lol.

Whaa, you donna like it?

·
Read Only
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I recall a forum member stating that an SV 650 is "a rational alternative to a Ducati."

I'll stick with my Japanese bikes.
Exactly! Ive watched utubers who have Aprilia's and Ducati's and they all say the same thing not reliable enough so they bought SV's. Thats all i needed to hear!

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
So Archie Bunker is off to the VFW Hall for the annual party in honor of the guy who threw himself on the grenade in Italy during World War II. He tells Edith the guy is getting up in years and this might be his last one. When Edith asks why he wasn't killed, Archie rolls his eyes and says it was an Italian grenade.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Well, I said I'd stick with my Japanese scooters but I will admit to having a 30 year old Alfa Romeo in my garage. It runs strongly, never overheats, always starts, leaks a bit of oil but what the heck. OK, so I only drive it 1500 miles a year.

·
Registered
320 Posts
A while ago I was looking at a Ducati 750SS until I saw a review
essentially saying it was a rip-off compared to a SV650. So I'm now on my second SV650S 2003 after having a 2000 SV650S, happy with both.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've owned two air cooled Ducatis in the past. They definitely run hot to the point of being unbearable on a hot summer's day. But for me, the biggest improvement going from Ducati to Suzuki is the gearbox!!! They always seem to get it absolutely spot on - whether on a TU250, SV or GSXR - super slick!

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
I like the idea of the 900 Monster, same as I liked the idea of the gas-in-frame, oil-in-swingarm Sportster based Buell. Problem was in their execution. Japan continues to set the standard for reliable and affordable high performance. I don't want anything that forces me into a dealership whenever some light comes on, nor do I want anything that I don't have a better than even chance of successfully servicing myself. I've never felt rich enough for anything German, and my last non-Japanese car was a Vega. GM managed to lose a whole generation with that POS.

·
Read Only
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I said I'd stick with my Japanese scooters but I will admit to having a 30 year old Alfa Romeo in my garage. It runs strongly, never overheats, always starts, leaks a bit of oil but what the heck. OK, so I only drive it 1500 miles a year.
Alpha Romeo is a great car! Sister had a bollaco ( not sure of the spelling) i used to tear all over the place in it. Maybe they want to take a run at bikes.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Having converted some old Hondas from Mechanical cooling fans to Electric Thermostatically controlled fans I tested the Fan on my 99 when I got it 3 years ago to make sure it was working electrically. Then I left the bike running on the stand for over 15 mins and it took ages for the fan to kick and then kicked out quickly and the engine sat at around 82 Deg C(179.6 F) which is what I expected for an liquid cooled I.C.E. engine.

The cooling system on the SVs is one of the best I've encountered and since then I think my Fan,"May" have come on less than 5 times :O

I suspect this adds to the longevity of the engines if correctly looked after but then the engines were designed from Scratch and not kludged together from other engines AFAIK :)

·
Read Only
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Liquid cooled coupled with the oil cooler have a huge impact especially living in a region where summer temperatures rise. Normal operational temperature for my 1000 was at approximately 172 consistent. I moved away from the factory plugs to a increased performance type and the research going in did state due to how the plug fires you might experience a rise in temperature into what could be excessive engine temp. The increase was only 5 degrees constant , so just another indication of how efficient the set up is on the SV'S.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts