Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All this time I thought nobody was interested in my build. Turns out, yall arentnsupposed to comment in that thread. Im used to that only being a rule during an official buildoff, so thats my bad. If you have any comments, questions, etc then by all means, post up! Id love to hear from you. Heres a link to the build thread:
http://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=367658

All work prior to this newest attempt can be found in the 2012 Buildoff link in my signature. Im looking forward to hearing from you.

·
Super Moderator
8,072 Posts
ok, so i saw some questions.

-longer throttle cables, hit up motionpro. they do custom length cables pretty cheap. maybe also buy a motionpro revolver throttle (shorter turn and adjustable turn)
https://www.motionpro.com/featured/rev2_throttle
you can also play with routing a bit to see if you can get a couple inches that way

-clutch check out barnett. good stuff and not too expensive http://www.barnettclutches.com/

-stator... rick's stators https://ricksmotorsportelectrics.com/
they can spin one with more output

the shifter is crazy! props to you for keeping on going!

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Looks like Mad8vskillz answered everything I was going to, but since i'm here and another thread made me think of it. If you want/need any custom machined parts it might be worth checking out your local tech school. If they teach machining, they might be willing to take on a project or two.

Anyways, sweet project. Keep it up!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Just read through your entire build, not sure how I've missed it prior though I have been off the forum for the winter or so. One hell of a story, seriously beyond impressive and inspiring. I couldn't imagine losing a limb so hell of a job man! You should be proud of yourself. The machine work and electronic shifting setup is sick, I'm interested in seeing where the controls mount for that. I'm sub'd to your thread so i'll be following along. Keep up the good work.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey gang sorry I hadnt replied yet. Ive been busy with a lot of stuff including a pretty massive discovery with the bike that I havent put in the build thread yet. Long story short one of the suspension knuckle mounts on the frame was completely broken off. I didnt find this out until I removed the knuckle and the piece of the frame came off with it. Im not giving up though. Mad6vSkillz has been such a huge hep to me with the build as well as some other stuff and I just cannot thank Him enough.

So as for the accident, yes it was on this same bike. I built this bike during a very dark time in my life. My Girlfriend of almost 5 years decided to start cheating on me with Her manager at the Pizza Hut She was working at. I guess me working 12 hours overnight shift at the plastic factory made Her feel like I abandoned Her even though the only reason I stayed at that nightmare was to keep Her happy with a new car and a nice townhouse. So then I got fired because of something this idiotic Woman did but since She was the first Woman in our department and several of our bosses let Her give them massages, it was obvious that theyd have a lawsuit on their hands if they fired Her for Her mistake, so they pinned it on me. A couple months later I crashed the bike and spent almost 2 months in the hospital with no insurance.

Point of all of this is that I poured my life into this bike and I crashed it. We both got ripped up pretty bad. I have many scars to show for it and so does my SV. As doctors and physical therapists rebuilt me, I rebuilt the bike. As I became more complete, so did the bike. We became instantly bonded in that crash, so I just cant let it go. Even if I find that Ive lost my nerve to ride or have a panic attack on the first test ride, I will never get rid of this bike. Its a part of me now. To be honest the closer I got to my SV being finished the less I felt the desire to ride it, but I owe it to myself to finish this and try to ride it again. I owe it to "me" from 5 years ago when its all I could think about. When I was dead set on riding it again. I could never forgive myself if I didnt try.

But please dont think of me as an inspirational story or anything. The crash was all my fault. My self destructive tendencies took over and I was a complete idiot. I made mistakes that I will spend the rest of my "life" paying for. If anything I just want everyone to appreciate what they have and take every advantage of situation. Be active, ride as much as you can. Do it for complete screw ups like me who really cant do a lot of those things anymore. go swim, hike, take your dog for a run, drive manual transmission cars and bikes HARD, meet Women and go on dates with them, all of it.

It looks like I might have to start all the way from scratch now and tear the bike down to its frame so I can replace it with a good frame. So it might be another year and a half before its finished now. But screw it. Ive waited this long right? and at least I caught it now rather than on its maiden voyage at 50MPH. Thanks for the support and the discussion everyone. Its really nice to have people to talk to about the build and stuff.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
One of my favorite acronyms is PMA. "Positive Mental Attitude". A term coined by H.R., the lead singer of the Bad Brains. I got that PMA! I got that attitude! Great song and it was a colloquialism used by many hardcore punks in the DC scene in the early 80s. But KBO is pretty damn good too. I believe in putting good energy out into the ether and letting it come back to me. I put it out there by out loud saying what I am grateful for and knowing that things will get better. They always do eventually. Yeah sure, they get a lot worse too but nothing is permanent and that includes the big dark heavy scary. I feel blessed. I know how lucky I am and how blessed I am to have my best friend Roxy by my side, a gorgeous motorcycle n my living room and great people in my life, and that includes you Mad. Thank you for your support and encouragement.

PS I have no friggin idea how I spelled colloquialism correctly just then and just now...even a broken clock is right twice a day, right?

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So Ive been thinking of a way to help mitigate strain on the rear suspension knuckle mounts on the frame if and when I do have the mount welded back on. Im wondering if anyone else has ever done this? My plan is to add a thick aluminum plate across the top of the two mounts, connecting them together to share the load. From the looks of the knuckle I believe there is enough room but that also probably depends on how deep the plate is. as anyone welded this part of the frame and had success? By success I mean it hasnt broken and nobody died. Thanks.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah its definitely possible. A few thing broke that Id already replaced and I know the left side took most of the damage. Broke a couple teeth on the brand new rear sprocket, broke the left rearset and bent the shift shaft which broke a piece of the casing off the housing around the shift shaft and tweaked the subframe. Its a very odd place to break thats for sure. Its just damn depressing thinking about starting over from nothing AGAIN only this time with nobody around to help out or encourage or support me to do it. I do a lot more and a lot better work just having someone there hanging out. Im like Tommy Pickles. Without a Chucky Finster around, I've got no reason to press on and do the work.

·
Super Moderator
8,072 Posts
got an alternative to the engine hoist. build an engine stand (2x4s, screws, etc.) and assemble it under the bike. then disassemble the whole bike around it

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thats not a bad idea, but I dont have the time or woodworking skills to build a cradle. I actually have a steel SV engine stand that my friend made a long time ago but it holds the engine up by the exhaust ports and its pretty janky. Ive been trying to figure out if I can do this by using a triple tree stand but then the problem is pulling the front end. It could be possible if I support the rear of the bike and remove everything until all thats left is the frame and frnont end, then lift the frame up off of the front end and triple tree stand. All in all I could save maybe $50 but itd still be a huge PITA. The Harbor Freight 1 ton crane is $130 on sale or with a coupon and then Id be able to use it for other stuff where as the triple tree stand can really only be used for a bike BUT it would save a lot of room and be less cumbersone, possibly.

·
Super Moderator
8,072 Posts
think simpler. no fancy shapes, just a way to put something under the motor and something through where there is a hole across the front.
raide the bike on both stands, put a bunch of wood underneath, lower it off the stands.

the big dow side of that lift is having to deal with the lift itself... that ***** a cumbersome and doesnt help all that much since the motor goes down not up

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
When I pulled my 650 apart I put it on a rear stand and jackstands under the frame sliders, pulled off the front end and plastics, pulled off rear wheel and rear plastics, picked up the back off the rear stand, set it down on the ground, repeated for the front. It doesn't weigh that much by the time it's down to frame/engine/swingarm/subframe (subframe helps a lot for leverage).

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hey gang sorry I hadnt replied yet. Ive been busy with a lot of stuff including a pretty massive discovery with the bike that I havent put in the build thread yet. Long story short one of the suspension knuckle mounts on the frame was completely broken off. I didnt find this out until I removed the knuckle and the piece of the frame came off with it. Im not giving up though. Mad6vSkillz has been such a huge hep to me with the build as well as some other stuff and I just cannot thank Him enough.

So as for the accident, yes it was on this same bike. I built this bike during a very dark time in my life. My Girlfriend of almost 5 years decided to start cheating on me with Her manager at the Pizza Hut She was working at. I guess me working 12 hours overnight shift at the plastic factory made Her feel like I abandoned Her even though the only reason I stayed at that nightmare was to keep Her happy with a new car and a nice townhouse. So then I got fired because of something this idiotic Woman did but since She was the first Woman in our department and several of our bosses let Her give them massages, it was obvious that theyd have a lawsuit on their hands if they fired Her for Her mistake, so they pinned it on me. A couple months later I crashed the bike and spent almost 2 months in the hospital with no insurance.

Point of all of this is that I poured my life into this bike and I crashed it. We both got ripped up pretty bad. I have many scars to show for it and so does my SV. As doctors and physical therapists rebuilt me, I rebuilt the bike. As I became more complete, so did the bike. We became instantly bonded in that crash, so I just cant let it go. Even if I find that Ive lost my nerve to ride or have a panic attack on the first test ride, I will never get rid of this bike. Its a part of me now. To be honest the closer I got to my SV being finished the less I felt the desire to ride it, but I owe it to myself to finish this and try to ride it again. I owe it to "me" from 5 years ago when its all I could think about. When I was dead set on riding it again. I could never forgive myself if I didnt try.

But please dont think of me as an inspirational story or anything. The crash was all my fault. My self destructive tendencies took over and I was a complete idiot. I made mistakes that I will spend the rest of my "life" paying for. If anything I just want everyone to appreciate what they have and take every advantage of situation. Be active, ride as much as you can. Do it for complete screw ups like me who really cant do a lot of those things anymore. go swim, hike, take your dog for a run, drive manual transmission cars and bikes HARD, meet Women and go on dates with them, all of it.

It looks like I might have to start all the way from scratch now and tear the bike down to its frame so I can replace it with a good frame. So it might be another year and a half before its finished now. But screw it. Ive waited this long right? and at least I caught it now rather than on its maiden voyage at 50MPH. Thanks for the support and the discussion everyone. Its really nice to have people to talk to about the build and stuff.
Hey man just wanted to say I'm excited to keep up with the bike's progress. I was in an accident last winter...ever since then I've been a perpetual state of some sort of depression. It's a weird feeling.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
When I pulled my 650 apart I put it on a rear stand and jackstands under the frame sliders, pulled off the front end and plastics, pulled off rear wheel and rear plastics, picked up the back off the rear stand, set it down on the ground, repeated for the front. It doesn't weigh that much by the time it's down to frame/engine/swingarm/subframe (subframe helps a lot for leverage).
Yeah I started thinking about it and realized that by the time I strip it all down and unbolt the engine, itll just be the frame and front end so it wont be that bad. My swingarm spool mount is broken on the swingarm and I dont have frame sliders so that wont help right now but I think a triple tree stand and the jackstands will do the trick.

Hey man just wanted to say I'm excited to keep up with the bike's progress. I was in an accident last winter...ever since then I've been a perpetual state of some sort of depression. It's a weird feeling.
I hope your accident didn't leave you permanently messed up. Some people cant get past the psychological part of it but if you're physically the same as before the accident then you're 99% there. Riding motorcycles is dangerous. It always has been and its a risk that everyone thinks they're willing to accept until they crash. Then they don't want to ride anymore because they know first hand that it really IS dangerous. If you can honestly and truly come to terms with the risks of riding before you get on a bike then its much easier to get back on after an accident.

There's also nothing wrong with not riding anymore after a crash. Owning and riding motorcycles doesn't have to be the most interesting or appealing thing about you. Only guys think its cool and its a ridiculous passion. All this money and maintenance for something that breaks down and can get you injured or worse shouldn't be a hard thing to walk away from after it does just that. Its been almost 6 years since Ive been on a bike. So there's nothing wrong with taking as much time as you need before getting on one again. Don't worry about riding season or all the other shmucks on the road making it look so cool and fun. Make sure you're comfortable enough with it. Its such an intimate, independent and private experience(for me anyways) so nobody and nothing should be dictating when is right for you except YOU. Feel free to message me if you ever want to talk about it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts