Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. Its been a long time but Ive been keeping an eye on the forum and not posting because I had some technical difficulties with my login and email. Thats all sorted now so its time to fire up a build thread. Ive owned this bike since around 2010. I tore it down and built it for a buildoff on another forum and then crashed it the day I finally worked out the tuning issues. The crash cost me my leg, the tip of my pinky finger, broken hip, a shattered pelvis and a broken wrist as well as my freedom and my bike.

I got a new leg, plates and screws for the bones and kept the SV. Slowly I started rebuilding my SV determined to ride again or when the day came I lost my nerve, I at least owed it to my bike to rebuild it. It was my creation. I built it in the dining room of my townhouse apartment during what was at one point, the darkest time in my life. I rode it briefly before wrecking it and experiencing how much darker things can really get. So over the years as I rebuilt myself and my body healed, I rebuilt and kended my bike alongside of me. It has become the physical manifestation of my struggle back to being whole again and in this, I have forged an incredibly strong bond with Her. As the bike got closer to being complete, my anxiety about riding again has grown. Fear and doubt and lifestyle changes make me often wonder if this is really what I even really want anymore. Even if I never get past that first ride I will never part with Her. It has become a fixture in my home and in my life. I dont know what will happen or how Ill feel when She is complete and ridable again, but this is where I will document the rest of the journey. This is my rebuild thread.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So these posts are gonna look like random journal entries. Dont worry there will be plenty of pics. Id like to explain the work Ive done so far and where Im at right bow. The 2012 build in my signature thread shows everything up until the crash. So when I crashed there was some damage to the bike, so the following is what I can remember replacing:

-Replaced engine, old one had bent shift shaft
-Replaced left Vortex rearset with another(got super lucky on eBay)
-Replaced rear sprocket, broke a couple teeth on the brand new one I had installed for the 2012 buildoff

The other major thing was the subfra,e I had built with Knifemaker87 for my Ducati monster seat, so Im working on having a much lighter one welded up from aluminum. One thing I never got to really dig into was my Koso XR-SR digital gaiges. Thats a whole wiring harness noghtmare because I cut the plug off for the stock speedo. This was back in 2011 before Koso made a plug and play kit. Now for the BIG thing. How to operate a shifter with a prosthetic leg. So after a few years I was able to afford to buy the Kliktronic electric shifter kit from the UK. Thanks to the Brexit(at the time) the Brotish dollar was very aoft so I got the kit with a free mount kit for around $250 cheaper than it was just a year before. I just started mocking that up. One thing I havent tackled yet is the sidestand. More specifically, how to move it up and down since I cant do it with my fake left leg. Ive got a couple ideas that will come later. Ill post some pics very soon.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dramatic silhouette shot to get your attention

Alright I finally have some updates. I am moving backwards a little here so I can make things easier on myself later. Translation: My wiring harness is gnar gnar boo boo and gots ta go. The ignition section of the harness is severed in a gew spots, I hacked off the plugs for the gauges years ago and I have a donor harness sitting around so wht not swap it out? I just confirmed that its off an N model so out with the old, in with the equally old but less delapitated!

I modified my old harness with metripack plugs for my KTM Superduke headlight and my MOSFET RR and I thought it would be a pain to do to my new harness but its not at all. Its just the headlight I need to worry about and Im just gonna solder my old metripak plug on. The only other issues will be deleting the clutch and sidestand safety switches like I did before when they crapped out and caused the engine to not run. I am more diligent than the wiring harness is reliable, so there.

Lastly, I cannot figure out what this green 2 wite plug it for...BECAUSE ITS NOWHERE TO BE FOUND ON MY OLD WIRING HARNESS! Seriously, Ive been staring at them hanging next to each other for the past hour. This plug is NOT on my old harness. Weird thing is, the previous owner of this harness made a ridiculous choice in bypassing whatever it went to with a long run or wires and a twist connector for residential wiring. So what is this? Thanks in advance.

Here is where it is along the wiring harness. Towards the back kinda near the fuse block

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got a little more wiring stuff done last night. The ignition switch was a bit hacked up from myself and the previous owner so I soldered everything and wrapped it up noce and neat. I found a bunch of this ridkculous fat purple wiring loom so Im using it for now. Might keep it just because it looks so gross on this particular bike.

And I installed the speedo sensor. Spent about a half an hour filing the i side of the bracket, putting a radius on it by hand etc to fit a top hat washer i side it for the bolt and then I realized that i had much nicer stainless mushroom cap bolts for the front fender anyways, so that was a huge waste of time. On the plus side Ive now exposed bare metal in the bracket so that should rust pretty good being so close to the ground. I sprayed some anti rust coating stuff on it from Workshop Hero so Im sure itll be fine. I thought I maybe the magnets popped out of the rotor when I crashed but thats just silly. Theyre all safe and sound and skightly corroded. Heres a shot of the speedo sensor pickup inside the fender. If you look closely you can see the rare earth ,agnets. This of course is all for my Koso XR-SR gauges that Ive had sitting in its box for 6 years or so.

Here you can see a very boring shot of a wire and my front wheel.

Lastly, Im still on the fence about the mounting brackets and plates for my Kliktronic shifter. You have to put spacers behind the rearset to allow the main mounting plate to sit flush and square with the frame, but in doing so you essentially brong the left rearset out further than the right on. Asymetrical thiga bother the hell out of me, which may sound surprising considering my left leg and right leg together would remond you of Timone and Pumba. Anyways heres some bits of aluminum.

Gratuitous photo

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hopefully in the next week or so Ill be revealing my new all aluminum tubular subframe for my Ducati Monster seat. It wont be finished as my welder and I are working it out in stages, but it will be all there structurally. I havent even seen it in person yet so Im pretty anxious. Not as anxious as the zero people who are following this build, but pretty close. Thats all for now, stay tuned...

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I decided to revisit my old MOSFET R/R and rework the wiring since it was super janky. It has now been upgraded to slightly less janky. Unfortunately I forgot that I couldnt slide my heatshrink tubing over the positive lead at the very end like I did with the ground because the fuse holder is in the way, so I did half of thos for nothig and still ended up with a tape job over my nice soldering. Silver lining, I made the connection so strong that it was impossible to heat up the solder and pull the wires apart to add heatshrink. Sooo.....win?

I made the leads extra long this time just in case I end up mounting the RR in a new spot with the new subframe. On an unrelated note, here is a picture of Roxy pissed off at me for not giving Her more homemade beef jerky:

Oh and I need to digure out how to stand my bike upright ASAP! In the wreck one of the swingarm spool mounts broke so i cant use a swingarm paddock. It sucks because I had the swingarm powdercoated with the frame. So now Ill have to probanly use an aluminum motor mount from an old SV650 donor bike, tape it for a 10mm bolt, weld it to the swingarm and spray paint it black. Most likely Ill have to do that on both sides to keep the spools level so the bikes not leaning when its on a stand. Does anyone use JUST a front end stand to hold their bike up? I sold my engine hoist crane, the bikes inside anyways and the exhaust is on so I cant just use a standard motorcycle lift jack under the engine(not good to do on this engine anywaus because itt puts heavy strain on the oil filter and block). Any other suggestions?

Lastly, I had no idea that yall arent supposed to post replies in this thread so I didnt make a discussion thread until just now. All this time I thought nobody cared and I was just doing all of this for posterity and my own personal record. So i really hope to hear from yall in my discussion thread, which can be found here:

http://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?p=5117074#post5117074

Thats about it for now. Stay tuned...

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im kind of tall. Pretty long inseam too. So back when I first built this thing I had taken some measures to not only sit comfortably but to also give the appearance that the bike had an overall bigger stature. I kicked up the tail, installed a taller ZX10R shock, shorter dogbones, etc. Well a few months back I bought a DRZ400S for CHEAP. Like, a 2007 with 5k miles for $1900 cheap. Well...it was a clydesdale. So I flipped it and went back to work on the SV. I realized that I need to consider lowering the suspension a bit(probably near stock height) so tonight I took a peak at Her undercarriage to see if I had slightly longer dogbones to install...and I found THIS!

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I'm hoping these other dogbones are long enough to make a difference by pushing the knuckle away towards the front of the bike and away from the swingarm. I know it doesn't look like it in the pics, but I do believe these are about 3/8" longer than the ones on the bike now. I might get a different set just to be sure.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Special thanks to Mad8vSkillz for the factpry dogbones. He suggested that perhaps my rear shock is bent, but before I can remove the shock I need a way to lift the bike. So Im going back to basics, jackstands. Jackstands under the footpegs will work in a pinch but before I could do that I had to put the footpegs back on and before I could do THAT...I had to mount the kliktronic electric shofter plates which involved some precision drilling, tapping and a homemade spacer to fit between the shifter piston rod and the rearset shifter. So I got to work and I think it looks pretty good. Solid.

PICS COMING AS SOON AS PHOTOBUCKET DECIDES TO WORK SO...DONT HOLD YOUR BREATH. ITS 9:39 PM...PICS SHPULD BE UP BY 10.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Let me k ow what you think in my discussion thread! How would you have done this differently? What should I work on next?Any new mods, tricks, tips that have come out in the past 5 years I might have missed? I really need to find a pair of throttle cables that are stock and about 2 inches or so longer than SV650N (naked) first gen throttle cables. I also need a beefier battery than stock and probably an upgraded stator and clutch as well. Thanks for looking stay tuned...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts