Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm currently bidding on an 03 sub frame for my 05 naked. besides my sub frame being bent my idea is to jack the tail up a little for looks and to get a bit more wieght over the bars. i was told by the seller that it would lift the tail up around 15mm. has any one seen this done or has any one done this??

·
Registered
80 Posts
Haven't seen or heard of it but I am interested in hearing if it works out for you. I am tall and wouldn't mind the higher tail section. Keep us informed.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
stranger said:
just get some shorter dogbones to lift the rear
the reason i'm getting the sub frame is because my friend flipped my bike and it landed on the grab rail wich bent the sub frame. oher wise i wouldn't bother.

G

·
B.A. I think you are in for a shyt storm. Yes the 03 subframe will bolt on to the 04-05 frame. However it is steel so you are going to add about 6+ pounds to your bike. On top of that there is the fact that the subframe is 40mm higher so your body work will fit but it will look like crap. You will also most likely have a problem with your exhaust. Remember that 03 and 04-05 bikes have different aftermarket exhaust part numbers for a reason. At the best you will probably have to buy a new exhaust hanger. Hope it all works out for you. Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
crap forgot about the exhaust problem. the weight isn't so much of a problem though as soon as my girl friend learns how to ride i'm getting a racing subframe and a solo tail.

·
Registered
33 Posts
funny, i was just thinking of selling my subframe/undertray off my 03 race bike and getting a race subframe. If you lose the auction and are still interested pm me

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
The steel subframe can't possibly weigh 6 pounds more... the entire gen1 subframe weighs ~9 pounds.

The bodyworks should be a 100% fit though the little black "side covers" could be a little different... they're really cheap anyway.

Good luck, I can't wait to see how it goes.

G

·
donnie you are right about the weight i hit the wrong number. Stock steal is around 8.5-9 pounds and the aluminum is about 4.5. As far as how the body work fits take some pics and let us know.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i lost the bid so if any one has an extra sub-frame kickin around i'll be willin to take it off your hands.

·
Registered
202 Posts
stranger said:
just get some shorter dogbones to lift the rear
I put hayabusa dog bones raised the rear about 3/4-1 inch I really like it.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Drowe said:
I put hayabusa dog bones raised the rear about 3/4-1 inch I really like it.
i guess you haven't been following my life. my sub frame is bent thats the real issue here and i was going to replace it with an 03 which would also raise the tail up.

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
B.a. said:
the reason i'm getting the sub frame is because my friend flipped my bike and it landed on the grab rail wich bent the sub frame. oher wise i wouldn't bother.
Nice to have friends eh.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Nexus242 said:
Nice to have friends eh.
yeah.. you dont let friends ride your bike.. ever ever ever

im the only one allowed to crash my baby. :p

·
Registered
32 Posts
sorry - i havn't been logging in here too much lately, or i would have replied to your post earlier.  i have an 03 subframe on my 04 and i'm happy with the change in height.  not so happy about the weight gain from Al to steel, but i can live with it.  i will probably get an Al race subframe at some point.  if you do go with the 03 subframe, you will have to have the 03 seat and side covers - 04/05 stuff will not work.  the tank is also different, but you will be ok there - 04/05 tank into 03 subframe works, 03 tank into 04/05 subframe requires tank modification.  you may also have exhaust issues depending on what exhaust you are running (as noted above).  i would wager that pretty much any aftermarket can that has a sliding mount will work.  i've got a micron system and had no problems with the swap. - jeff h

·
Registered
202 Posts
B.a. said:
i guess you haven't been following my life.  my sub frame is bent thats the real issue here and i was going to replace it with an 03 which would also raise the tail up.
I have been following the reason. I was quoting the dog bone comment, I guess it was a thread jack but maybe someone will come upon it and then try it

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thanx dyna groove for the info just what i was looking for. two questions though what is the differance in hieght and wieght if you know off hand?

·
Registered
32 Posts
using the acurate "stick-o-meter", i measured 1 3/8" at the subframe. don't know exact weight difference, but it was pretty drastic. i know someone has posted exact figures on this board before. good luck with a search ::). i think 6 lbs is about right on. i figure that i'm about even with where i was before as i'm running a fiberglass tail, no lights, lock mechanism, etc... and i'm using a smaller battery. - jeff h

1 - 19 of 19 Posts