Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I have seen a thread on this, but can't find it.

I have a rear tire stand, a floor jack, jack stands, and enough wood/materials to crate the whole cycle.

I need an effective way to get the front tire off the ground so I can change my speed sensor. What has worked for you guys? My Haynes manual says a rectangular configuration of 2x4's.

As always, any help is appreciated. Images are even better.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you must have some massive jack stands. Mine are 2 ton I think.. and I can't imagine them reaching the sliders.

·
BannedCampCounselor
9,911 Posts
Mine reach, albeit entirely extended.
I place them on top of some 2x4's or 1x6's, or whatever lumber I have laying around.

·
Registered
905 Posts
1. Small auto jack under the motor
2. Ratchet strap from handlebar/upper triple to a ceiling joist
3. Jackstands under Motosliders with paving blocks under jackstands for height

I usually use #1 alone for short periods where lifting the front is required. For an extended period or where the wheel or forks will be removed, #1 in conjunction with #2 or #3. Overnight or multi-day project, all three.

[Edit: Forgot to include that I always use a rear swingarm stand first when lifting the front.]

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the input. I am working a co-op, and happened to have access to a full machine shop. I will walk out there after work and get me some rod. It will be nice to have on hand regardless of if I use it on this job.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
on the other hand.. I have access to a 10 ton overhead crane.. I could always do this thing at work and lift the whole bike.. :)

·
Premium Member
2,108 Posts
Not a fan of jacks under frame sliders...I use a rear stand plus a scissor jack under the engine for short term front wheel removal, suspension frame for longer term work.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts