Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wondering if there are any other guys out there that are of similar stature to myself and what kind of jacket you are wearing.

I'm 6'3" and weigh 175 and have been having problems finding a jacket that is long enough in the arms and not huge in the body

(dress shirt size is a 16 neck and a 36/37 arm)

anyway, any suggestions you guys have on good jackets for people like me...
I want something that is leather with armor, very simple and not over $300

thanks all
Sean

BTW I am now the proud owner of an '03 blue SV650

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
I don't think you're gonna find it. I'm 6' @ 165-170lbs and have a tough time though my Joe Rocket riot jacket size medium is a tailored fit.

You might consider getting a 1 piece full leathers and cut the bottom off maybe???

Congrats on the bike!!!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
We share the same dress shirt size (16 x 36/37), and the same height (6'3), although I am about 20lbs heavier than you (195lbs).

Anyways, I agree that I dont think you are going to find a jacket that both (a) fits your long arms perfectly and (b) is tight enough in the chest. Since I weigh a bit more than you, I size Euro 56 (US 46) happens to fit my chest just about perfectly. But on all the leather jackets I've tried on from Dainese, Alpinestars, Teknic, Hein gericke and RS Taichi, the sleeves are always between 2-4 inches too short.

I didnt want to pay the cost for custom, so this is what I did. First, I bought a one-piece leather suit in my size (56) to wear when I ride hard. The arms are still short by about 2 inches, but that is easily remedied by wearing gauntlet gloves. The glvoes completely cover up the 2 inches, and I dont care how i look when I take my gloves off since Im already wearing a 1-piece and full gear!!

For messing around town at lower speeds, I have a mesh and textile jacket. The mesh/textile jackets typically fit much looser than leather (no need to fit skin tight like leather), so Ive always been able to find a jacket with long enough arms. My Vanson ventilator in size xxl is plently long in the arms. My teknic supervent in size us 48 is also fine in the arms.

But for a leather jacket that will fit your arms perfectly is impossible I think unless you go custom, which will prob. cost more than $300. You could always get a size 48/58 or 50/60 leather jacket which might fit your arms, but it wont be as safe.

·
Registered
449 Posts
donniej said:
You might consider getting a 1 piece full leathers and cut the bottom off maybe???
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

taller riders tend to have those gibbon monkey arms. I feel for those guys. My arms are pretty long too, but I've been able to find stuff. Maybe buy bigger, then take it in a little.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah, that is the downside, is that I want to get a leather jacket so that I can wear it this fall as well (I'm in Minnesota) and it gets a little chilly here

but at the same time I don't want to spend 200 or so on something that isn't going to give me much protection anyway because it is too large through the body

aren't there any companies that make Talls in a leather jacket?
I suppose I could look at getting an XL tailored but that would probably cost a couple hundred alone if it's even possible

·
Registered
398 Posts
seannabend said:
just wondering if there are any other guys out there that are of similar stature to myself and what kind of jacket you are wearing.

I'm 6'3" and weigh 175 and have been having problems finding a jacket that is long enough in the arms and not huge in the body

(dress shirt size is a 16 neck and a 36/37 arm)

anyway, any suggestions you guys have on good jackets for people like me...
I want something that is leather with armor, very simple and not over $300

thanks all
Sean

BTW I am now the proud owner of an '03 blue SV650
What are you talking about? IT seems that 90% of motorcycle jackets are made for tall skinny guys. Well skinny at least. If you have more than 10% body fat apparently you're fat for a motorcyclist.

·
Registered
216 Posts
if you find a company that makes anything like this, let me know.

i'm not exactly skinny, 6'5 and 240 but I still have a tough time finding gear that fits.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I did a ton of research trying to find a jacket that would both fit tightly and have long arms. Didnt find much, aside from a custom job. Firstgear, however, makes talls in mesh, textile and at least one leather jacket. The Z-Pilot Tall might have long enough arms, but Ive never tried it on: http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/item.aspx?style=5147&department=112&Division=1

You should try on a buynch of jackets in your size (given your weight, Im guessing a 44(US)/54(Euro) or possible 42(US)/52(Euro), and see just how hsort the arms are. If its only a couple of inches, a gauntlet glove will give you protection, and you would be good to go as far as riding is concerned. Of course, might make you look like monkey arms if you intend to walk around int he jacket without the gloves on!!

Anyone have any experience with leather jackets that have a more casual/baggy cut like the Alpinestars tz-1? It doesnt seem these jackets would offer the same amount of abrasion resistance as the tighter sport-cut leathers. However, since they are cut to a baggy fit anyways, ive been thinking of getting a jacket that is one to two sizes bigger than my normal size so that the arms fit. I dont see how getting a size bigger in a causal cut jacket would make it less unsafe (as I would think you would be giving up some abrasion protection with the casual cut to begin with)...

·
Registered
398 Posts
Blacksun said:
I dont see how getting a size bigger in a causal cut jacket would make it less unsafe (as I would think you would be giving up some abrasion protection with the casual cut to begin with)...
I think that as long as its not baggy enough to bunch up Or allow the armor to move out of the way, you'll be okay.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
agreed,
I was at a shop and tried on an Alpinestars "spinner" jacket and the XL had sleeves that covered my wrists when I was sitting on my bike but the girl at the shop that was helping me talked me out of the jacket because she said it was too loose and wouldn't provide the intended level of protection.... although it would be loads better than the wimpy demin jacket i'm ridding in right now

I just can't see spending tons on a custom jacket and really don't like the look or the limited riding season of the mesh jackets

I will look into that FirstGear jacket offered in a tall, but unfortuneatly I've never seen one in a shop in my area and really don't want to get burned on ordering it and then not having it fit/not liking it and haveing to mess around with returning it

·
Registered
216 Posts
Unless you can find a local shop that's has what you are looking for...

I bought a jacket from new enough a few years back. The first one I got didn't fit at all. They actually sent out the new one right away and I sent the old one back.

Obviously they woulda charged my card had I not returned it. But it only cost about 8 bucks to ship it back and they shipped the second one for no cost.

http://www.newenough.com/product_group_mens_firstgear.htm

·
Registered
238 Posts
I'm the same height and weight. 6'3 173ish.

I wear a Teknic Chicane size 44

It felt too damn tight when I first bought it and the sleeves were a smidge short. I almost took it back the same day. After wearing it for 2 years it's a glove. I dont think it would fit anyone else now.

Sounds nasty but get leather and ride that mofo in 90+ weather and I think you'll be surprised how well it fits. Leather will also stretch a bit. So if the sleeves are a little short now, wait a few years. Also like these guys said, wear guantlet gloves and no probs.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks everyone
I appreciate all the feedback

was going to go out and buy a jacket last night but the streets here pretty much flooded and that doesn't work well with the bike or with my cold air intake on my car

·
Registered
248 Posts
Look at the Teknic stuff. It seems to be for tall thin people. I am no where near as lean as you describe yourself but their stuff seems a little longer in the sleeves to me.

B

·
0 Posts
i am 6'7" and float around 200lbs. I wear a Frank Thomas Strike jacket, the textile version size XL and with the sleeve and waist snaps in the snuggest position it fits me perfectly...my dress shirt size is 16.5 34/35

I never have any problems with it flapping around or "inflating" and the vents work really well as does the liner when it gets cold. It's only a vest liner though so usually i just leave it out and wear a hoodie underneath when it gets that cold. Cycle Gear is the exclusive dealer of Frank Thomas in the states, and it almost never goes on sale but it's definetly quality stuff.

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
check out the alpinestar spinner jacket. Common jacket most shops probably have it in.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ForzaSV said:
check out the alpinestar spinner jacket. Common jacket most shops probably have it in.
that's the one I'm leaning towards
seems to fit pretty well (sleave length) but the body is a little big on the XL

·
Registered
55 Posts
i'm 6'6" at roughly 200lbs and i had to go and have a jacket custom made to my body. not a bad idea really but the price was a bit more than i really wanted to pay at about $650...but since it fits only me and i designed it...well i can live with it. check out Z Custom Leathers. it takes him a couple three weeks or so to make the stuff once your place your order but the quality is great.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I wound up buying an XL Alpinestars "spinner" jacket

the sleeves are a good length, they cover my wrists when I'm riding which I like but it is a tad large through the body for me
I'm ok with it though because all I do is street riding and it will have enough room for a sweatshirt or other layering this fall

plus I could pass up the price, Motoprimo (if you are from MN) had it for $217 and MN doesn't have sales tax on clothes so I'm pretty happy with that

1 - 20 of 20 Posts