Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im not terrible overweight. maybe 20lbs or so, but site with belly measurements like newenough list the belly measurements too small on just about every jacket. So it seems that bike jackets are made only for people at their ideal weight. Any suggestions for models that work for people with a little bit of a beer belly?

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
goto a local store and try them on. somethings you just can't do over the internet folks.

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
Nexus242 said:
goto a local store and try them on.  somethings you just can't do over the internet folks.
The problem with that Nex is many local shops don't carry much gear. The shops around here have a couple jackets each and all smaller sizes. So that advice isn't always good because some people just don't have that option.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Frank Thomas Strike.

My size 38 fits me perfectly in the arms and shoulder, length, everything.  But it's got a generous cut in the belly area.  I'm a skinhy guy with a little beer belly but there's still lots of room down there.

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
Coop said:
The problem with that Nex is many local shops don't carry much gear. The shops around here have a couple jackets each and all smaller sizes. So that advice isn't always good because some people just don't have that option.
move to a better area then. I mean come on there isn't a decent bike store with in 30-50 miles of where he and you live???

·
Registered
89 Posts
Nexus242 said:
move to a better area then. I mean come on there isn't a decent bike store with in 30-50 miles of where he and you live???
Yea, Thats a good solution. Move to be able to buy motorcycle gear from a local company. Thats taking "buy from your local dealer" to a whole new level!!! ;D

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
Nexus242 said:
Not really. I don't live far from Coop. Unless you want strictly Joe Rocket gear and HJC helmets, good luck finding gear out around here. There is absolutely no place to try on riding boots or leathers, very few that sell riding pants, and most don't carry jackets over a size 42. Now if you want chaps that say Harley on them and a stupid leather hat, there are a lot of places to go...

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
Wow that sucks eggs for you guys. I've got 3 Suzuki/Ducati/Honda, 1 Honda, 2 Kawasaki/Yamaha dealers, HAI Bike Shop, a Cycle Gear store and at least a half dozen other smaller stunt/sportbike shops with in 20 miles of me. And Daytona Beach with it's Helmet Shop and other bike dealers is only 50miles away.

I just figured that this is normal. Guess not.

:)

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
Hell once Speed Weeks are done I may trek up to Daytona just to try on a Fieldsheer Congo jacket if they have one instock. Or atleast figure out if an XL or L is what I need in their gear and then order it online.

:)

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yah, I have a few descent stores near me. But even the better ones dont cary that much variety. It maybe a couple brands and you're lucky if they have all sizes in stock. Even if I go and buy local, It'd be nice to have an idea of the brand/model Im looking for so I can call ahead and see if they even carry it. Dont want to drive all over for nothing you know.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Do you have any AMA event near you? Each year we go to Mid Ohio and there is tons of stuff to try on. Same with Bike week.

I have found that most textile gear will give more belly room than leather. I know that is true for Teknic and Fieldsheer.

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
Loose the belly? ::) or Fieldsheer Mach series leather/mesh works well too.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
I had the same issue initially (yeah, I'm a bit fat....5'10" and 240lbs). The Joe Rocket XXL fit fine across the belly but too wide through the shoulders for the padding to stay put, and the JR XL was too tight across the belly but the shoulers were good. Luckily, I then found I had a Cycle Gear store (www.cyclegear.com) near me and went there on the off chance that they'd have something that fit. I found a Frank Thomas Strike jacket that fit perfectly in XXL--shoulders weren't too big and stomach was just right. It was also a touch longer than the other JR jackets that I tried on, which made it a bit more comfortable too. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
my question is, why can't I find a jacket with long enough sleeves? Most XL jackets fit fine in the shoulder and accomadate my small paunch, but look like 3/4 sleeves on me. A little short on the racing pants is fine, boots cover the rest. But dangit, bring the sleeves to just above my wrist, not halfway down my forearm.

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
jonesdb said:
I like the teknic jackets, seem to be a bit more generous in the gut. Both textile and leather.
+1 yes they are. I have both fieldsheer and Teknic, and they are more forgiving.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts