Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a meshed Joe Rocket jacket. I'm now looking for better protection. Is kevlar the way to go or leather? And which model/brand would you suggest.

I'm not very familiar with kevlar, but do leather jackets have kevlar used in the elbow, shoulder, spine areas or is kevlar jackets made entirely of kevlar?

·
Registered
174 Posts
right now i have an alpinestars tz 1 all leather jacket and i love it. it has injection molded plastic in the shoulders and elbows and ive gotten in a wreck with it at about 30-40 mph and it held up AWESOME. theres hardly even any wear on the leather at all except for where my shoulder impacted the asphalt. i would highly reccomend this jacket if you want all leather. the only downside is that it is REALLY hot but that pretty much goes with any jacket i guess

·
Premium Member
1,583 Posts
Leather is the best protection, but I would recommend a perfortated one. Alpinestars are great value for money, and from the reports here, and Stu's experience, they hold up well in a crash.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Actually, in my experience, some of these textile jackets these days are pretty tough too!!! I have a Fieldsheer X-pack jacket...its discontinued for now I think, it has a backpack attachment on the back of the jack that you can take off ;D Its a super strong material with armor in the usual places...i hit the asphalt going 50mph and it only tore the shoulder portion up, the shoulder armore wasn't even scratched. Besides, textile jackets are much cheaper then leathers. Just don;t get a mesh jacket...those things are a joke...get the nice tough material ones.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I really like my perforated Vanson. It stays cool, it tough, and has two types of optional armor incuding a back protector. Yeah I paid through the nose for it, and I really hope I never get my moneys worth with it... ;)

·
Registered
667 Posts
I really like my Icon Neo Daytona, full leather. It has the CE armor in the elbows, shoulders, back, etc. Hope it will never be crash tested, but I hear Icon stuff doesn't hold up well, but this one looks like it should, it is pretty stout and fits me REALLY well. I am 6'2" 148 lbs. I got mine used from a friend, so rather that drop the $350 for a new one, I think I would go JR or A*'s. Leather is definately the way to go if you have the money. You ever see Nicky Hayden or Valentino Rossi wear anything BUT leather?

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
risky_analyst said:
I currently have a meshed Joe Rocket jacket.  I'm now looking for better protection.  Is kevlar the way to go or leather?  And which model/brand would you suggest. 

I'm not very familiar with kevlar, but do leather jackets have kevlar used in the elbow, shoulder, spine areas or is kevlar jackets made entirely of kevlar?
all my gear is cordura, nothing is as good as heavy weight leather for protection, I say heavy wieght cause some lighter weight gear does not protect as good as fabric

I am under the understanding that cordura is better for abrasion resistance than kevlar, but kevlar is better for punctrure resistance, if I were buying a bulletproof vest it would be kevlar, but IMHO abrasion resistance is more important on a bike.

I am not a fan of Joe Rocket gear, I've had Ballistic jacket & pants, protection was good, but pockets are inconvenient and zippers & stitching just plain suck

I have an Aerostitch Roadcrafter, great gear, the only reason I don't wear it now, is cause it "shrunk" :-[ (ok, I got fat)

right now, I have FirstGear HT jacket & pants, I don't think the protection is quite as good as JR, but pockets are convenient and vents really work, stitching is good quality, the only downside is that the main entry zipper will also zip up from the bottom (for what reason I don't know) and sometimes I have to fumble with it to get it started

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have the first gear speed jacket,cordura/leather jacket good protection and great ventilation.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I have a Joe Rocket Ballistic series. I like the jacket allot and it is just now starting to break in real well. However, just very recently I have noticed my velcrow at the wrists is wearing out real bad, prematurely too I would think. Anyone else have this jacket and notice that I know it is a popular model. Leather is probabaly them best but pricey and hot in most cases. Whatever you do thought man dont ride w/o a jacket thoguht. If you go down you will really be kicking yourself in the ass for not wearing one just read a few of the past posts around here.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Can't beat good gear! It will save your butt if you go down! I (unfortunitely) have gone down while wearing my Icon Timax jacket. The titanium skid plates do work! Not a scratch on my body! Breaks are another issue! So, I'm a fan of Icon gear both textile and leather. I wear a neo daytona jacket for colder weather and I love the protection. Look on e-bay for used jackets and you can find some good deals! PS I also like Alpinestars stuff!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I crashtested a mesh Joe Rocket, its better then nothing, but expect to get f*cked up. The back armor held up ok, the elbows slid right off to the side and I lost alot of skin. I still have one, and wear it when its too hot for leather, like i said , its alot better then nothing at all.

·
Registered
60 Posts
i've had good success this summer with a first gear z-pilot jacket. it has perforated, zippered vents front/rear/sleeves.
i live in the pacific northwest though, so we rarely get much above 90. we have had a couple of days in mid/upper 90's and it's hot, but if you're moving it's bearable. the way i figure it, wearing the jacket is probably more comfortable than not having any skin post crash.....

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Any opinions with Dainese Belgarda Jacket? It is Cordura 500 windproof and Cordura 750. Don't know what that means, but it was one of their selling points.

·
Registered
336 Posts
i'm awaiting my komodo 1 piece leathers, but i ride with icon mesh jacket. luckily i havent been down yet...... def. go with leather , you cant beat it..

·
Registered
500 Posts
Cordura is a type of tough material and I think the numbers are the thickness of the Cordura. My Joe Rocket jacket is Cordura. Way more cheap than leather but not as protective, breathers better. You know what Cordura is kinda like a stiff seat belt material.

·
Registered
238 Posts
+1 on leather, Teknic Chicane here. 2 years old and love it. not yet crash tested ;D

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
As soon as I get enough money saved up, I am going with Cycleport.

I like the design better than AeroStich due to the location of the GoreTex.
They claim a wide temperature comfort range due to their design.

They also have a twelve week :eek: waiting period for your order to go through!!!

The prices of the gear is slightly higher than similar gear at newenough.com but the quality seems to be much higher.

Riders on several other boards rate this gear better than Aerostich and that is saying alot!

http://www.motoport.com/

Jacket I am looking at buying

http://www.motoport.com/detail.asp?InStock=1&PriceCall=0&Merchant_ID=633Pm22C&Product_ID=900.102.302&Merchant_Company=Jackets Department&Category=Kevlar

J

·
0 Posts
Typically Kevlar is the thread used to sew up the jacket not what it is constructed from.  It is very abrasion resistant and will keep the seams together as you dance on the asphalt.  A lot depends on what you fall on also.  Concrete can eat through leather pretty quickly if has any bite (rough).  I?ve burned through a set of knee pucks in just an hour racing the YSR on pavement when they will last several races on asphalt.

·
Registered
23 Posts
ribbon_cable said:
I really like my perforated Vanson. It stays cool, it tough, and has two types of optional armor incuding a back protector. Yeah I paid through the nose for it, and I really hope I never get my moneys worth with it... ;)
+1 .. I got mine on ebay though ... about 293 for a perfed vanson that was already broken in and had armor.
as a matter of fact, I bought my bike, 2 helmets, jacket, pants, boots, and gloves all on ebay ... gotta love that ebay ;D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts