Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a new technic jacket and i keep trying to convince myself that it fits right. i norm wear tight fitning clothes and jackets and such this one fits but is kinda loose i can wear a hoodie under it and its fine but just the jacket it kinda gets puffy and acts like a parachute kinda. is it just me and previusly wearing snug clothes. so i am wondering how do all your guys jackets fit.

·
Registered
835 Posts
for me my riding jackets fit a lil looser than my civilian jackets. I need to be comfortable and able to move freely, if i have to check a luggage zipper or reach behind me and feel for how secure my luggage/load is? I want that movement. The last thing I want is a restrictive jacket.

And how can I punch a mirror off if I am hindered by my jacket?

·
Registered
281 Posts
I'm the opposite of 08sv. All my riding jackets fit tight. I cannot fit a hoodie under any of them. I only allow enough room for my strap on back protector. I just dont feel safe if my jacket has room to shift around. Even though my jackets are tight/snug fitting, they are not restrictive. I have a windblocking zip up sweater thing I purchased from sportbiketrackgear (I cant think of the name right now) that I put OVER the jacket if its cold enough for a hoodie.

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
You want your jacket to be tight so it doesn't ride up or bunch up on you if you crash and slide. Bunching is bad, riding up is worse. However, it shouldn't constrict your movement much.

If your jacket has armor, you shouldn't be able to rotate the armor around your joints. Crouch into a fetal position and see if any of the armor moves. The armor needs to stay in place in the event of an unplanned get-off. If it moves when you rotate it around it may do so in a crash, too.

My jacket is tight with the liner in, a little looser without it. I can put a couple of thin layers under the jacket with the liner in, but it's tight.

·
Premium Member
3,662 Posts
Mine is snug in the arms and shoulders... ok in the chest and baggy from the ribs to the waist... but it has velcro waist straps to cinch it up as well as on the wrists and neck... so it doesn't puff up... well it does a little if I open the front vents and don't open the rear one... but even then it was not too bad...

I really like the tourmaster jackets.. they fit better than most... I just wish there was another waist strap higher up so I could cinch up the midsection a little higher up... and they need more room in the shoulders, biceps and forearms... XL is only XL in the gut area...

sure I am bigger than most guys... I just wonder what the real fatties or the roid monkeys do... the real fat guys generally have skinny arms and shoulders so I guess that wouldn't be a problem for them... but the juicers must have some fun finding gear...

Maybe it is just me but I'd rather jackets be a bit smaller in the gut, and a bit bigger in the shoulders, chest and arms.... there is nothing I hate more than when a jacket is skin tight on the arms and pits

·
Registered
835 Posts
Ok I left myself open for that one. No I would not recommend a freely fitting jacket to the point it bunches up on you or rides up your body as you pick up speed (figured that was a given indicator it's too large)But rather one that is snug to the point that it allows you the movement to twist your torso as well. and if you can move the inner pads around your body i would say it's too large, BUT if the armour pads are sooo tight they don't budge ..well. ya get the point.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
my current shift jacket is a l and fits nug, i can not wear a sweater under nor have i ever ahd the desire. Is a size 46 alot smaller then a 48 i wish i had a frreakin measuring tape.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
If your jacket is loose and you go down, it'll slide around and give similar rash as pavement.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
I just got my teknic jacket today too...it's not too tight but is not loose...I think that's good enough...I can probably fit and sweater underneath but then I won't be able to do any flexible movement...I'll test it tomorrow

·
Registered
288 Posts
Alright, now I am a newb - so take this with a grain of salt or wahtever. But I spent MONTHS researching gear, recommendations, fitments, etc. etc. etc. I went to a shop and tried on all sorts of jackets (I treated jackets like most people treat helmets). I used to play hockey right? So I know what happens when you go down onto something, and you dont have the padding set right. (For example, I remember having a GIANT welt on my elbow from hockey because I fell, and the elbow pad wasn't tight enough, and shifted when I got hit, so I landed on bone). So when I tried on jackets, the first thing I did, was test for initial relative comfort. Then I moved around, everywhich way. Flex your arms into crazy positions like you would in a crash, and also as if you were riding the bike. MAKE SURE THE ARMOR STAYS IN PLACE. I tried on 2-3 A* jackets and a Dainese or two. When I would rotate my arms, the elbow armor would shift a little (just like it did in the hockey example) so I knew that if I fell, that I could be hitting the road with just leather between my bone and the road. Then I tried on (at the sales persons suggestion - he'd been doing it for 7 years) this speed and strength jacket. www.ssgear.com Anyway - i moved, did my thing, every which way. Felt alright. Dropped a size. Then another. Still comfy? Check. Now - lets move around. Whoa, the pads are in PERFECT positions no matter where i move, they move with the joint. I knew I had the right jacket because the armor stayed in a protective position no matter how I moved around.

To be honest, I think all gear should be as anally and exactly fit as most suggest a helmet is. If it doesn't fit right, it's not going to WORK right. That's why custom leathers are highly suggested, because its tailor made to fit you.

Bottom line is, if you think it doesn't fit, or it feels odd, try it on again, and check the armor spots when you move around. If the protection isn't staying with the area its supposed to protect, check a new jacket.

****REMEMBER I'M A NEWB, LET'S TRY NOT TO FLAME ME****

Be safe out there. :D

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I ordered a size smaller, so ill see last resort i can return both jackets.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I also have a teknic jacket, supervent. Its a small and fits a bit loose.
I also have an Icon leather motorhead jacket and that one fits snug with a sweater underneath.

I would think that all jackets depending on their material fit differently.

·
Registered
644 Posts
the only think you care in those jackets is not the exact fitment for comfort ...but the pretections(elbow-shoulder positioning)

just like a helmet they should stay in place and protect what they meant to protect...and not to wiggle freelly up-down-left-right

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Alright, now I am a newb - so take this with a grain of salt or wahtever. But I spent MONTHS researching gear, recommendations, fitments, etc. etc. etc. I went to a shop and tried on all sorts of jackets (I treated jackets like most people treat helmets). I used to play hockey right? So I know what happens when you go down onto something, and you dont have the padding set right. (For example, I remember having a GIANT welt on my elbow from hockey because I fell, and the elbow pad wasn't tight enough, and shifted when I got hit, so I landed on bone). So when I tried on jackets, the first thing I did, was test for initial relative comfort. Then I moved around, everywhich way. Flex your arms into crazy positions like you would in a crash, and also as if you were riding the bike. MAKE SURE THE ARMOR STAYS IN PLACE. I tried on 2-3 A* jackets and a Dainese or two. When I would rotate my arms, the elbow armor would shift a little (just like it did in the hockey example) so I knew that if I fell, that I could be hitting the road with just leather between me and the bone. Then I tried on (at the sales persons suggestion - he'd been doing it for 7 years) this speed and strength jacket. www.ssgear.com Anyway - i moved, did my thing, every which way. Felt alright. Dropped a size. Then another. Still comfy? Check. Now - lets move around. Whoa, the pads are in PERFECT positions no matter where i move, they move with the joint. I knew I had the right jacket because the armor stayed in a protective position no matter how I moved around.

To be honest, I think all gear should be as anally and exactly fit as most suggest a helmet is. If it doesn't fit right, it's not going to WORK right. That's why custom leathers are highly suggested, because its tailor made to fit you.

Bottom line is, if you think it doesn't fit, or it feels odd, try it on again, and check the armor spots when you move around. If the protection isn't staying with the area its supposed to protect, check a new jacket.

****REMEMBER I'M A NEWB, LET'S TRY NOT TO FLAME ME****

Be safe out there. :D
I don't think anyone has any reason to flame you. That's pretty good advice I think.

I'm 6'1", about 180-185. I guess I'm what some would call "athletically" built - I have a narrow waist, broad shoulders, but arms that are disproportionately long for my height. Any jacket that fits my arm length is like a dress everywhere else. So I did similar research that you did.

I wore my Teknic textile for almost 6 years before I realized how poorly it fit me. It's a size 44, but was too short in the arms and had far too much excess through my torso. When I rode, so much drag was created it was fatiguing on. It would balloon up and look ridiculous in addition to being unsafe.

Fast forward to late last year when I got serious about a new jacket. I re-measured and most size charts said I was still a 44. The best I found was an A* jacket for $400. No way I was paying that. I finally settled on a Fieldsheer Aston. The key here was trying everything on. The Aston fits just like I want it to. Its cut to end just below the top of my belt, accommodates my freak arms and wider shoulders, and tapers down to hug my torso. It fits me so well, sometimes I'll take the armor out and wear it out when not on the bike.

I plan on doing a review later, but here's the Aston.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Jackets should fit like helmets. As snug as possible without causing discomfort. Just my opinion, though.

edit; I guess I should have read the second page before posting. Waywardwit beat me to the "snug as a helmet" line :)

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i have the teknic freestyle size 48, it fits as a coat but the shoulder armour floats and elbow/arm armour rolls so i know it is to big, im 5'11 230lbs football player build, i have a huge chest and arms, but smaller waist and min belly, its hard for me to find shirts and such that dont hang like a tent off my chest that is why i tend to wear snugger clothes. i hope the 46 works i really like the jacket overall. it matches my new gmax helmet perfect.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have the same problem as RAAB02. I ordered the Teknic Freestyle from Newenough ($60), and I am hoping that my extra long and skinny (but still muscular ;D) arms will not get lost in the jacket sleeves. I have tried on many jackets, and finding one that I can afford and that fits is very difficult, but I do agree with the "form fitting" mentality with regards to jackets.

·
Premium Member
3,662 Posts
When I was trying jackets on the Teknic did seem to fit a bit more loosely in the arms and shoulders without being a potato sack in the middle.... unlike joe-c0cksuckit crap... I tried on several of them... large and XL and they all fit differently... either the liners were different between several of the same size or the chinese manufacturers couldn't follow the pattern when sewing... plus the 46 was skin tight... I could hardly move my arms and it was tight in the arm pits but was super baggy in the middle.... the XL was also tight in the arms and pits... but a bit better... but there was no way I would wear that crap since it was even baggier than the L size..

Why is it shirt and jacket makers have no taper in the middle? I mean sure there are some guys who have a 48" waist.. but generally why do they need to make it the same size in the chest all the way down to the waist? even if they tapered it to a 42 or a 40 it would be a lot better

Teknic was about right... a lot like the Tourmaster I have... perhaps slightly more form fitting in the middle... but they weren't too different...

I think you'll need to try on a couple dozen of them when you are in the store... and if they are made in china, try on several of the same size... as one could fit a bit better than the other, even though they both say 46 or 48 or whatever...

That is why I went with a 48... there was a bit more play in it when I ordered from newenough... and I figured I woulg need a bit of room in it for the cold days so I didn't care if it was slightly bigger... as it turned out, it is perfect withoug the liner, not bad with it and a bit snug if I wear much more than a sweat shirt under the liner... but generally I won't be riding if I need more than the liner anyway.... The forearms are a bit snug due to the armor... so I may trade them with the ones in my Jett II with my Draft Air and see if they are any better... or find a way of positioning them better...

I did find in another jacket the shoulder pads fit weird so when I swapped the sides left to right it seemed much better...

·
Registered
217 Posts
My non-perf leather is loose enough to get a hoodie or fleece under. I typically use one or the other on cool days. This takes up the slack nicely. I use the belt loop to keep the back down in case of unfortunate occurences. Not perfect, but it's how I ride.

My perf leather is snug. I only wear a light shirt underneath and don't want the pads moving.

If you want the real answer on fit, take a look at the world superbike guys in their leathers. Those guys all crash test their equipment periodically.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts