Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been riding my SVS for 5 years now with NO insurance. That is correct, from the time I paid off the SVS got the title in hand to today. I have been pulled over maybe 7 times (including 130+mph in a 50 after passing 4 cars on a double yellow...ended up with a $75.00 non traffic violation ticket...long story), had 2 real accidents, and 2 real tickets. I have never had a LEO ask for my insurance. When I was at deals gap for the rally the bobcat tractor ran over my bike, we had a police report done and the cop asked for my insurance, I told him that I left it at home but he didn't really need it since I was the victim. I thought before my next trip (Jerome loop in AZ), I was going to get insurance. Come to findout it only cost $12.00 a month so I went with a $500.00 deductable and got my bike covered at $29.95 a month.

Guess I'm just VERY lucky!

Does anyone have stories about their luck?

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
My record is clean. :)

In CA, the insurance companies report to the DMV whether you have insurance or not. Cops here don't even ask to see it as they pull it up on your record. It also means that if you have a loan the lender also knows if you have insurance or not... No doubt this practice will become standard in most states.

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My record is clean. :)

In CA, the insurance companies report to the DMV whether you have insurance or not. Cops here don't even ask to see it as they pull it up on your record. It also means that if you have a loan the lender also knows if you have insurance or not... No doubt this practice will become standard in most states.
I simply got lucky in FL and AZ. I would have been screwed if I got in an accident involving another vehicle. Some how I managed to get plates in AZ and register the bike without having insurance.

·
Chief Greeter
28,966 Posts
It ran over the front edge of my rim. I jumped off the bike before it lunged to the gravel destroying the paint on the left side.
That's a bummer. I guess it could have been worst.

They are going to reimburse you for the damage done, yes?

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's a bummer. I guess it could have been worst.

They are going to reimburse you for the damage done, yes?
I plan on contacting them by mail with quotes to repair the damage. The bobcat operator was contracted by the BBQ place to fix the parking lot, I doubt the old timer who ran over my bike has insurance to cover the damage but it's worth a try.

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
An area where most people skimp on insurance is they don't purchase uninsured motorist coverage. *cough-cough*

In TN, the statistics are 3 out of 5 vehicles have either no or inadequate insurance.

So if they are at fault and all they have is 30k coverage and you end up in the E-room with a head injury or a broken tibia, the bill can go up to 100k easily.

Guess who pays the difference?

Good insurance is not that expensive. Cheap insurance will cost you dearly if you need it.

For someone who believes they have nothing to lose, your future can be screwed permanently whether you are at fault or not.

The difference between minimum coverage and maximum coverage for my policy is $120 a year, I gladly pay the difference. Given the amount of idiots on the road, it is a risk I am not willing to take.

Too many close calls have convinced me that there is no way that I am willing to risk losing everything over a stupid mistake. (either my mistake or the other person's mistake)

·
Registered
920 Posts
Riding without insurance is dumb.

Now onto this:

(including 130+mph in a 50 after passing 4 cars on a double yellow...ended up with a $75.00 non traffic violation ticket...long story)
Sorry, but exceeding the speed limit by 80 mph AND passing four vehicles on a double-yellow warrants waaaaaaaay more than a slap-on-the-wrist $75 fine.

:angry7:

·
Registered
771 Posts
I personally wouldn't drive any vehicle without insurance. The fines are huge, you lose points on your license, it ruins your drivers abstract, and your rates go up.
I personally can't afford the risk. my work depends on having a good abstract, and a clean license.
the few hundred dollars a year it costs me (which can be hard sometimes to scrape up) is well worth it, if for nothing else than the peace of mind that I'm covered.

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry, but exceeding the speed limit by 80 mph AND passing four vehicles on a double-yellow warrants waaaaaaaay more than a slap-on-the-wrist $75 fine.

:angry7:
This was the first year I owned my SVS in FL and I was riding with a bunch of flat landers. In my/our defense it was a open road you can see ahead for miles...but so can FHP.

I was in the way back only doint 130mph, I noticed the LEO in my rear view (being the guy in the back, I would offten check), I tried to warn the other guys but no one is looking in back at those speeds. I slowed down, he passed me, then the next guy slowed down, he worked his way to the lead bike and pulled him over. I'm stopped about 1.2-2miles back with the other 2 guys, we decided that I should go to the gas station with the guy who has no motorcycle endorsement and wait while the other guy checks on the lead guy. By the time I get to the gas station I have a couple missed calls and a voice message, the lead guy is telling me that I need to come back because half the county is hunting for our bikes. We both decide to head back (I was so nervous I felt sick), I get to them and the cop starts yelling at us before I can take off my helmet. We tried our best to be polite, he lectured us for about 5 min. then started talking about a couple of our license plates, he said to me "I noticed your plate is visable but I'm going to give you an obstucted license plate ticket, that is a non-moving violation $75.00 ticket. If you try to fight this in court I will remember your illegal passes and excessive speeds." I replied with, "I have no problem paying this ticket, I'm not going to try to fight this ticket." (in my head I was saying thank you, thank you, thank you...) . The guy without the endorsement had to keep is bike on the side of the road while one of us come back with a car he can drive back while we bring his bike back to his place.

Come to findout the lead guy was an ex NJ cop and was given a very generous professional courtesy. I learned my lesson and rarely go over 100mph.

now that's luck. ;)

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
An area where most people skimp on insurance is they don't purchase uninsured motorist coverage. *cough-cough*

The difference between minimum coverage and maximum coverage for my policy is $120 a year, I gladly pay the difference. Given the amount of idiots on the road, it is a risk I am not willing to take.

Too many close calls have convinced me that there is no way that I am willing to risk losing everything over a stupid mistake. (either my mistake or the other person's mistake)
Thanks, I will look into that and possibly upgrade...I mean, I will upgrade! ;D

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
Does anyone have stories about their luck?
Yeah I still don't have insurance on my bike either. However I just got a letter from the credit union saying they want more insurance coverage on my new girl, O-Ren, for the loan I have with them so if my premium doesn't go up even more then it already did and I can get some PIP coverage on the bike from my guy that doesn't cost that much I might get some for Svetlana too.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I think the lesson was that you shouldn't have gone back...
This man speaks the truth.

The lead guy sold you guys out. Each and every one of you so that he could get away with "professional courtesy" while the rest of you get shafted with $75 tickets. Sorry.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
I was thinking that but I didn't want to say it.

Best thing to do in the circumstance is find somewhere you can drink sodas for an hour or two and put the bike around the back then ride out at close to the speed limit. They won't be performing a "hard target manhunt" for a couple of speeding motorcyclists.

And I was thinking that you probably got the license plate because he couldn't pin the speeding ticket on you anyway and it's not like the threat of bringing the speeding up in court had any real standing either. You're up in court for what you're charged with (Though having been to traffic court a few times, I'll admit that the judges are often right c**ts with little regard for the law or fairness and are often there to rubber stamp whatever the cop decided).

I'll add that I always stop and won't run but I could have avoided my last ticket simply by turning off the road, turning off my lights and waiting (the cop was facing the other way parked and I didn't think he was going to bother, took him 3 miles to catch up whereupon he turned on his lights) and think I may have avoided an overtaking in a no-overtaking zone a few months ago (cop was going the other way. I saw him pull in and I assume he was going to turn around. However, I had overtaken a real slowpoke so when I was far enough ahead, I pulled off down a side road. Never saw any lights)

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You guys may be right but your missing the point. I'll admit that I don't follow the rules everytime but coming back just to get a non moving violation makes for a good lesson and most importantly makes me feel good. True, my buddy may have gotten off easy by getting us to come back. My original plan was to park the bike in my shed for a day, but instead I got to enjoy the rest of the day riding and not hiding.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts