Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this Bridgestone BT-023 had 2630 miles on it.

Just noticed this damage.

Could have happened at any time since it was mounted last month I guess. I have travelled on it a fair bit.

Seems to be holding air and there appears to be no deformation to the casing. I may ride it while monitoring it...may decide to wear it out.

Not expecting dire warnings from members here...just thought it was a pretty deep cut.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Better than getting a razor blade in your rear tire. I was lucky to catch it early and get it down to the shop before it went completely flat.

Keep an eye on it. If it were me, I'd get a new one just for the peace of mind.

Also, any ideas on what could have caused that?

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Ugh... that sucks man. If it were me I'd do the same as you. I got a bit nervous this past weekend when I was in the mountains and hit something hard with the rear tire. Hard enough to slide for just a sec as I was leaned over. I never saw what it was, but it scared the crap out of me, and I was worried about similar damage. Thankfully nothing seems out of sorts. I'm also very thankful it wasn't one of the deer I saw running across the road!

Btw, how is your new rearset setup goin? I've been back to stock for a little bit while Kev sorts out my mistakes and gives em a little love. Sure sucks goin back to OEM.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Good that you posted this. It's a great reminder for the rest of us to do visual checks to our bikes (I will inspect my tires tomorrow morning before I leave).

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
The wear on that tire looks terrible for only 2630 miles. How are you riding that bike? Spinning/skidding the rear tire off-pavement often? What pressure do you run?
I don't think it looks that bad. Then again Dan IS a bit of a madman. ;)

·
Premium Member
10,443 Posts
ewwww

·
Registered
982 Posts
Do you think it was only due to a road hazard or is it possible some of the damage is due to a defect?

Maybe send this photo to Bridgestone for a response.

·
Registered
146 Posts
hit a steel plate on the road sideways? looks like there's skid mark on the edge of the tire starting from that spot.

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No idea what in the eff I hit.
Have blitzed fully loaded all over PA,NY,MD,WV,KY,TN and NC since it was mounted. (that 2630 miles was in 4 week's riding) so it relly could have happened anywhere in that period. I even rode Telico Pass and some other offroad crap in that period.
I have put about 450 miles on it since I first saw it, including a bunch of twisties in SE Ohio. Seems to be holding up fine.
Hell, it could have already been cut when I went through the Gap

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Do you think it was only due to a road hazard or is it possible some of the damage is due to a defect?

Maybe send this photo to Bridgestone for a response.
No doubt hit somethig Moj

Bridgestone makes a fine tire. I really like these and am lookig fwd to my next set

Better than this Pilot Road 3 that toasted this year with only 1000 miles on it

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The wear on that tire looks terrible for only 2630 miles. How are you riding that bike? Spinning/skidding the rear tire off-pavement often? What pressure do you run?
Really?

Do tell what a rear should look like halfway through it's life. If I get 6Kout of a rear I am fine, 8K is high for me...regardless of brand and model ST tire.

And yes....I am usually sideways like Kenny Roberts on the TZ flatracker as often as I can be, offroad and on. Tire pressures vary from 10psi for rockcrawling to 45psi for hypermiling the slab:vroom:

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Btw, how is your new rearset setup goin? I've been back to stock for a little bit while Kev sorts out my mistakes and gives em a little love. Sure sucks goin back to OEM.
Loving the rearsets Kevin made me. The lower position is wonderful and the 2nd Gen version with the dual cartridge bearings is rock solid and smooth. I haven't been feeling well lately and really need to get off my azz and send back the first gen version to Kevin. I have put a lot of things on hold lately.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Loving the rearsets Kevin made me. The lower position is wonderful and the 2nd Gen version with the dual cartridge bearings is rock solid and smooth. I haven't been feeling well lately and really need to get off my azz and send back the first gen version to Kevin. I have put a lot of things on hold lately.
Ah, sorry to hear that man. Hope you feel better soon. I should have my r&r'ed sets back sometime next week, or early the following. Looking forward to showing them off (Kevin blinged em out) and getting some miles on em.

Btw, are you serious about 45psi for slab work? It's funny because the more I ride twisties the more I feel guilty about laying on tons of flat miles. Just doesn't seem right to do that to a set of tires. Even st's.

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ah, sorry to hear that man. Hope you feel better soon. I should have my r&r'ed sets back sometime next week, or early the following. Looking forward to showing them off (Kevin blinged em out) and getting some miles on em.

Btw, are you serious about 45psi for slab work? It's funny because the more I ride twisties the more I feel guilty about laying on tons of flat miles. Just doesn't seem right to do that to a set of tires. Even st's.
No...not serious. Just sarcasm.

I run 39 psi rear, 36 front normally

And stop with the self-guilt BS. If you ride, .......ride. If there needs to be slab, let there be slab. Whatever happens happens.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
No...not serious. Just sarcasm.

I run 39 psi rear, 36 front normally

And stop with the self-guilt BS. If you ride, .......ride. If there needs to be slab, let there be slab. Whatever happens happens.
Oh I'm not worried about my feelings, just worried about my checkbook. My last set of tires had a nice flat middle and fresh edges. Almost all due to the PO. I just hate the idea wasting all that rubber. :p

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Just wondering, isn't that a little high?
I run 33f 36r. I run my pressures for all street conditions.

His don't seem unreasonable, depending on what the manufacturer says. If it was cool with them, and I knew I was going to be putting hours in on the slab I'd do it.

·
Premium Member
10,443 Posts
Oh I'm not worried about my feelings, just worried about my checkbook. My last set of tires had a nice flat middle and fresh edges. Almost all due to the PO. I just hate the idea wasting all that rubber. :p
I bought a michilin pro 1 track take off. Absolutly no chicken strip so it looks like I know how to ride. Well the middle was barely touched. So now I get to use the whole tire, since the edges are worn already.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
I bought a michilin pro 1 track take off. Absolutly no chicken strip so it looks like I know how to ride. Well the middle was barely touched. So now I get to use the whole tire, since the edges are worn already.

I wouldn't use those on the street (just a personal thing, temp and all that) but yeah take-offs are freaking awesome if you can get em. I'm not sure what my ratio is (on edge wear), but my bike has become all things transportation for me, so it's inevitable that the center will see some heavy abuse. :(

1 - 20 of 30 Posts