Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, thanks to the numerous great and fantastic members who guided me through the advice and buying process, I will be the proud owner of a 2005 Suzuki SV650S this Friday. I went to Tom Clark Suzuki where the fixed me up with a new blue SV; out-the-door price was $6420 and MSRP was $5818. A far cry from the other dealership that wanted $7800 OTD and had an MSRP of $6900.
Today I plunked down a $200 deposite to hold the bike and ordered all my riding gear; a Joe Rocket Phoenix jacket, HJC flamed helmet and a tinted visor, Joe Rocket leather gloves, and got a blue chin spoiler accessory for the SV which I think looks killer. I might get the gel seat later, or look for an aftermarker unit. The total on accesories and stuff was like $638.00 with some kind of discount because I'm buying the bike from them. I would deffinately recommend Tom Clark Motorsports to ANYONE in the greater Pittsburgh, PA area. A GREAT place to work with. They deal Suzuki and Honda.
Once I get her Friday (can't wait) I will take up to the mall after-hours and practice in the parking lot getting used to the accleration, clutch and braking points. Any other tips?
Once again, thanks truck-loads to all the helpful members here who pointed me in the right direction, and I got to avoid being ripped off! I owe you guys one. I hope to ride safe and be a member of this forum for a long time to come.

Dave

·
Registered
551 Posts
THATS AWESOME! so heres the OFFICAL welcome to the site to a new sv rider!

P.S. i glad you went with the svs instead of the ninja! much better decision IMO!

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
yeah rubber side down so watch the new tires for the first 100-200 miles and for the love of all that is good in nature and the planets in our solar system get some motosliders BEFORE you drop the damn thing.

==> http://www.motosliders.com/sv.html

And I hope you've taken and passed the MSF class if you've never riddin a bike before. Congrats, take good care of her and she'll do the same for you.

:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
chickenwafer said:
Once I get her Friday (can't wait) I will take up to the mall after-hours and practice in the parking lot getting used to the accleration, clutch and braking points. Any other tips?
Once again, thanks truck-loads to all the helpful members here who pointed me in the right direction, and I got to avoid being ripped off! I owe you guys one. I hope to ride safe and be a member of this forum for a long time to come.

Dave
IMO, the bike is really easy to ride with one exception; low rpm lurching in 1st gear. It sucks when you are trying ease it around parking lots and the damn thing wants to grab and lunge a bit. I hear modifing the TPS will get rid of that nuisance, but for now I am just riding the clutch a lot more than I like.

Congrats! 8)

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
Congrats on the purchase and Welcome Aboard!

If you don't mind my asking, what was the other dealership you went to? Trying to get feedback on the western PA dealships.
And what part of the Pittsburgh area you from? We have a number of board members in the tri-county area...

·
site supporter
6,051 Posts
Welcome, Ride well and be happy.

·
Registered
270 Posts
im so frigging jealous!!!... i was the one who posted that stupid bad credit post a while back, and now im taking the advice of some of these members too...i just bought a new(to me ) truck which will help my credit and i have almost a thousand saved for the down... im dropping my bank in favor of a credit union, and by january or feb... i should be posting exactly what you just did...i cant wait...yayy...i wont have to spend 70 dollars a week for gas... good luck with your new bike...and for now im going to keep riding my bosses hardley just to get out of my cage once in awhile...

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
congrats on the new bike. besides the MSF and the sliders, i greatly suggest you find some experienced people to ride with. from personal experiece i can say that you will learn a lot from them.

·
Hall Monitor
2,762 Posts
Good deal!

One possible option to consider, though. The Joe Rocket Phoenix jacket is absolutely wonderful when it's hot out. Flows so much air through that loose-knit material that it feels like you're wearing a T-shirt. Only problem is that Fall is hard upon us, and hardly T-shirt weather (particularly with a motorcycle's inherent wind chill factor).

See if you can't exchange the Phoenix for a Joe Rocket Rasp jacket. It has a heavy duty (600 denier) windproof shell but features panels that zip off to reveal mesh areas that (combined with the sleeve and back vents) should provide plenty of ventilation. I'm certain you'll find this to be a far more versatile jacket. I have a Phoenix, and it's wonderful for midsummer afternoon rides. But if I want to ride any time when it's cooler than, say, 70 degrees, it provides way too much air flow for comfort.

HTH

Bill

1 - 18 of 18 Posts