Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Banned Member
4,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wasn't going to say much about the situation, but Wally inquired ;). I haven't ridden that much in the past two weeks because of my recent trips to the dermatologist.

Premise: I'm a fair-skinned person. I'm 27. My mom is Irish and my dad is Slovak. I just figure that I'm not too well off, genetically, to deal with the sun. Unfortunately, I like to spend a lot of time outdoors and I do wear my sunscreen. Sometimes I forget to put it on, sometimes I miss spots and sometimes I leave it off because I hate the feel. If I do go sans sunscreen I cover up and spend as much time in the shade as possible. It's rare that I get sunburned with all the proactive measures I take.

I'm 100% aware of the risks, I know the steps to take to mitigate those risks and I've taken it upon myself to learn everything I can about the topic. If you feel moved to lecture me like my parents do, kindly do not post in my thread.

About two years ago, while I was stationed in Albuquerque, I had two Actinic Keratosis spots removed from my hands. More developed later.

About two weeks ago, I had some cryogenic surgery. Three spots on my left hand, two spots on my right and one spot on the back of my right ear lobe. Those spots got pretty sore for about 3-4 days making gloves and a helmet a little too uncomfortable.

There were two more interesting spots that my dermatologist wanted me to come back to have check out (done yesterday). She thought they were interesting enough to have her friends, at a lab in Greensboro, NC, check out. So, she numbed my left hand (between the ring and middle finger major knuckles) and my right forearm to cut those spots off. I've never seen all my layers of skin before. Interesting colors. Again, this is making gloves a little difficult to wear, so I've been caging it. She's concerned that the spot on my right forearm is Basal Cell Carcinoma and the left hand is Squamous Cell Carcinoma.

I won't find anything out until Monday or Tuesday, but now you know what's going on, Wally. ;)

·
Registered
683 Posts
best of luck on your tests.

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
After haing that much skin removed, I'd never leave the house without SPF70 minimum!

I'd also have a mirror'd tinted visor for my helmet as well.

·
Registered
286 Posts
if it helps - basal cell carcinoma rarely is malignant, aka you can cut it off and it's done with.

Squamus cell carcinoma can be maglinant, but the magic number is .6mm if it has invaded less that .6mm into you skin, more than likely you are in the clear.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Maybe you are actually a clone and you are starting to break down on the cellular level. :)

Naw I hope everything gets better for you.

·
Banned Member
4,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the comments and support, guys. Even if it does turn out to be carcinoma (and I'm pretty sure the one from my right arm is Basal Cell) it isn't too serious. To add to what Jiaguy said, it was caught early and the BCC doesn't really cause metastasis.

if it helps - basal cell carcinoma rarely is malignant, aka you can cut it off and it's done with.

Squamus cell carcinoma can be maglinant, but the magic number is .6mm if it has invaded less that .6mm into you skin, more than likely you are in the clear.

After haing that much skin removed, I'd never leave the house without SPF70 minimum!

I'd also have a mirror'd tinted visor for my helmet as well.
I usually use a Neutrogena UVA/UVB with SPF 45. It has the least disgusting feel out of all that I have tried. I hate face lotions but I have been trying a few out. Also, my SHOEI shields (clear and dark smoke) both have 100% UVA/UVB protection IIRC.

·
Premium Member
2,566 Posts
My dad has BCC cut out of his abdomen. They took out a quarter pound of skin and meat. Then he thought he could go eat a quarter pounder and be even. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
That's sucks Capt. I'm in a similar boat as yourself. Parents are Irish and English, I am a super honky. Skin cancer runs in my family and I have been badly burned many a time. I'm just hoping nothing develops and I'll be the lucky one, but I doubt it. Hopefully everything turns out ok with you. Nothing wrong with caging it while you're not in the best shape.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
sunlight doesn't normally bother me, but a couple years ago when I had Lyme, with the medication, thats was a different story , even sunscreen didn't help, I had to bundle up, no exposed skin, and wear dark glasses

riding was easier than driving cause wearing full gear, helmet & dark shield covered me

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
Good luck bro, keep us posted.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Best wishes for a favorable outcome. Tuesday won't come quick enough for you.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Best wishes Silver. I've been burnt badly so many times I don't even want to think about it. (english, irish, italian myself too)

·
Banned Member
4,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks again for the support, guys and gals. The biopsy sites are healing pretty quickly... maybe I'll take some pictures tonight ;)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts