Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"I'm a cowboy. On a Steel Horse I ride." - Bon Jovi

$3100 in parts + labor and taxes to fix every little scratch on the right side according to insurance, still negotiating. Buying the salvage is NOT an option considering it still GOES, STOPS, and TURNS without wobbles, squeaks, and oh sh*ts! plus it'll be "parked" with the salvage title a minimum of 6 weeks waiting on reinspection while losing 10% value and that just doesn't sit with me well. I replaced the front brake lever and foot pegs then rode it home from the tow yard ;D and changed the oil 600mi after the get-off (instead of right after) on the advice of a trusted motocyclist friend. I was thinking about getting a custom tag: BN TTLD; "BEEN TOTALED"

Unrepaired damage to be fixed with or without insurance:
Cracked fiberglass by headlight
Rear brake pedal
Forks slightly turned (not twisted/bent) in triples

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
i'm still a little confused-- so you've decided to not use the insurance and instead are going to pay to repair it yourself?

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
It doesnt even really look that bad, from the pictures anyway... Im guessing you laid it down? Are you ok? Sounds pretty pricey. Good luck

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
still negotiating to get it fixed, I have to pull info out of the Progressive adjuster who just expected me to sign over the title (I paid cash for the bike). They only told me a estimate amount but didn't tell me what all they had to fixed and they never call I always have to track them down. Simply put, they don't give a ****. The dealer I bought it from said don't total it and gave me an estimate Progressive didn't accept because it didn't include all the damage they documented which they never gave me documentation for i.e. they're not telling me all my choices and options but just want to write the bike off for less than I paid. My out of pocket will be $58 for a brake pedal and a trusted friends time for the bodywork repair and fork/triple adjustment.

Edit: the forks and rim are scuffed but the forks are still straight, just turned slightly in the triples and the rim still holds pressure and doesn't wobble at any speed.

Edit: sloooooow speed get-off on the right, had on all my gear: helmet, jacket, gloves, icon chest/back protector and leg guards and only managed a sprained big right toe.

·
Premium Member
10,443 Posts
sounds about right. It's easier to write it off and sell the salvage for them than it is to give you a check for less. Shocking, [email protected] insurance companies.

·
Premium Member
3,311 Posts
I really do not get it....are they considering that a write off??? ...well, can you buy it from them, if so, how much?
I still don't get it.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Shoot man if you like it then keep it, the only thing I can see wrong in the pictures is the cracked front by the light, get one of them off here or the bay and fix the other light scratchs. I would keep it if I were you, if you ride it and feel likes it ok that's all that matters.

Glad to here your ok!
But on a side note...my buddys R6 got mowed over by an old man in the parking lot, it didn't hit it hard but it cracked every pice of plastics on it, the right mirror, front breake lever and bent his can. We picked it up and he rode it home and said it rode fine, he turned it in to the Ins co and it was 2900 bucks to fix it and the bike was worth 4000. So it got totaled...they payed him the 4K (he payed 4100 for it) and he wanted to buy it back because he really liked the bike and didn't feel it was that hurt, so the took a 1300 out of his 4k and he got the rest and the bike. Since the Ins never took the bike they never changed the title. Now he has a really nice R6 and no one will ever know...

·
Premium Member
10,443 Posts
From how I'm reading it. He can buy it back but it has to sit for the next month or two. Then it has to be inspected after all the broken bits are fixed and slapped with a salvage title. He want's them to fix it instead of totaling it, but $3100 everything, they are just going to write it as a total loss. Their amount says "fix it" which means "make it new again". Stupid insurance companies. Why did you put in a claim in the first place if you were going to get it fixed anyway?

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Shoot man if you like it then keep it, the only thing I can see wrong in the pictures is the cracked front by the light, get one of them off here or the bay and fix the other light scratchs. I would keep it if I were you, if you ride it and feel likes it ok that's all that matters.

Glad to here your ok!
But on a side note...my buddys R6 got mowed over by an old man in the parking lot, it didn't hit it hard but it cracked every pice of plastics on it, the right mirror, front breake lever and bent his can. We picked it up and he rode it home and said it rode fine, he turned it in to the Ins co and it was 2900 bucks to fix it and the bike was worth 4000. So it got totaled...they payed him the 4K (he payed 4100 for it) and he wanted to buy it back because he really liked the bike and didn't feel it was that hurt, so the took a 1300 out of his 4k and he got the rest and the bike. Since the Ins never took the bike they never changed the title. Now he has a really nice R6 and no one will ever know...
Hmmmmmm, his was never officially salvaged??? I wish I could manage the same oversight but told me I'd have to sign the title over if I go that route though but I got full coverage for something and I want the bike fixed and to boot, they're totaling it out at 65%, yep, 65.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Why are you shocked at that(the 65%)? It's pretty standard. Are they supposed to wait until you damage the bike 100% of its value? So they can pay for it multiple times?

·
Registered
406 Posts
Well the only other thing I can tell you is by law you can have your bike fixed at the shop of your choice. If you want the dealer to fix it or find a shop that well do it for less to keep it from totaling you can. I know that some shops will help people out with MC because it to easy to total a good bike. So I would take the bike to a few shops and see what you can do... maybe tell them Oh that was like that before the crash....but it sounds like if the ins is pushing for a total the someone see's a good bike he can pickup cheap...

and another opt is to not have them do anything and just fix it little at a time...

·
Registered
259 Posts
I just totaled my 01 sv out a month ago. I paid $3k for it and they gave me 4300 - 500 deductible. I think mine worked out in my favor. I had progressive. dont forget to tell them about every little aftermarket piece you had on the bike cuz they wont remind you, but it should be covered. yours should not be totaled.
this is what a totaled bike should look like. the tank and clipons were the only pieces that didnt get a scratch on them.

·
Premium Member
10,443 Posts
Thats not totaled, it'll buff right out!

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Why are you shocked at that(the 65%)? It's pretty standard. Are they supposed to wait until you damage the bike 100% of its value? So they can pay for it multiple times?
I could part with it at 80%, even 75% but 65%? No.

I just totaled my 01 sv out a month ago. I paid $3k for it and they gave me 4300 - 500 deductible. I think mine worked out in my favor. I had progressive. dont forget to tell them about every little aftermarket piece you had on the bike cuz they wont remind you, but it should be covered. yours should not be totaled.
this is what a totaled bike should look like. the tank and clipons were the only pieces that didnt get a scratch on them.

Not to make lite of your situation, but I could part with that but not the bicycle fall I had on mine.

I bought the bike with the aftermarket goodies and at first progressive told me 80% of aftermarket parts up to $3000 (including gear) without reciepts which went no where when I asked for that value to be added to the bike for a definite number.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Sorry man- but that statement makes no sense. I work with a Chinese dude that drives by the braille method- bends a fender every 3 months- I think he has easily collected more than the car is worth- the pay outs are per incident. I think the roof is the only original sheet metal left on the car!

I'm a little curious though- and mind you in 20 years I've never crashed a bike on the street (track- dozens of times)- But why wouldn't you instruct the tow truck driver to drop the bike at your address rather than the salvage yard? Assuming, of course, you are conscience and cognizant of what is going on?

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sorry man- but that statement makes no sense. I work with a Chinese dude that drives by the braille method- bends a fender every 3 months- I think he has easily collected more than the car is worth- the pay outs are per incident. I think the roof is the only original sheet metal left on the car!

I'm a little curious though- and mind you in 20 years I've never crashed a bike on the street (track- dozens of times)- But why wouldn't you instruct the tow truck driver to drop the bike at your address rather than the salvage yard? Assuming, of course, you are conscience and cognizant of what is going on?

Sorry, I left out the good part. I locked the brakes with a ham-fisted 4-finger grab (only using 1 finger now, big hands) when an SUV braked suddenly for a yellow light and the SUV is claiming rear bumper damage even though the bike ended up IN FRONT of them. It was theft recovery from an insurance auction and still showed up stolen when they ran the plate but registered to me at the same time so they couldn't arrest me but they impounded it as stolen which was cleared in less than 48 hrs.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.