Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after a week of the "new to me" 2000 SV650 sitting in the garage without running, I finally got her started today. I'm in the last weeks of healing a broken ankle, and bought this about a week and a half ago now. When I purchased, we had to pop the clutch to get it started, as the battery had given out. Everything ran find during a test ride performed by a good friend of mine with lots of motorcycle experience. But, after getting it back home, it wouldn't start for anything, not even after 72 hours of a green light on a battery tender. Hoping for the best, but expecting the worst, I purchased a new battery. Plopped that in......and got no power whatsoever. Now I was really bummed and thinking I may have been taken. I took the battery back to the battery store I purchased from and had it tested out--lucky for me it was only running at 10V!!! So, got another battery (charged and putting out 12V for sure), and stuck that in....turned the choke on, grabbed the clutch and hit the starter button....and heard a beautiful noise!!!!! This weekend, I'll be getting it to a local shop here in ATL for a full check up--carb sync, valve clearance check, re-torquing of bolts, check and lube of chain/sprockets, etc, etc.....in a week or so I should be out for my "virgin ride" on a motorcycle!!! Here's a few pics.... Its a 2000 SV650Y, with a Givi fairing, Viper alarm, and Yoshi RS-1 slip on pipe....

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Man for what those bastards are going to charge you for all that stuff you can go buy a torque wrench and a carb sync tool and do it yourself!! Plus you will know how and never have to take it to them again!

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know it won't be cheap (I was quoted around $400 or so), but, having bought used I'd like to have it checked out by a professional mechanic the first time. I did order the Clymer manual for it, and will be doing, or attempting to do, most of my own maintenance after this though. I just want to make sure I'm starting out with it running right, and I'll go from there. Spending that much for peace of mind is worth it to me, at least the first time around... :)

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Money doesnt necc buy you a good mechanic, these kind of jobs go to the "new kid" in the shop usually, I would do it yourself every time. You can always trust yourself over a stranger unless you know the mechanic personally and have seen his thouroughness. There is enough support on this site to help you through anything.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts