Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well going 70-75mph through a right hander my front end washed out and bike went bye-bye on me. What sucks is that nothing real significant happened so I don't really know what happened.

I was leaned over and moving along smoothly...I did feel the front end move a little bit but it wasn't jerky, just slow smooth movements from side to side.

Then, all in slow motion, I saw the ground get closer and closer. I actually asked myself, "Am I going down??" The I felt my elbow touch and heard the metal and knew for sure.

The bike slid and skipped along it's right side while I was sliding right behind it. It started to bounce up and down and I was worried about sliding under the bike and it landing on me. The whole time I was sliding I had a birdseye visual in my head of what was going one, very strange experience.

We went off the pavement and into a field. I stopped right after the transisiton but my bike decided to keep going. About two feet in front of a barbed-wire fence she decided to do a cartwheel over it...as she was airborn I knew I was fucked.

The bike landed on its rear end with the nose straight up in the air. Very depressing sight indeed.

Damage...

Icon Daytona Jacket - Little scuffing on the right elbow. This jacket held up very nicely

Icon Superduty Gloves - The gloves were great. The right one ripped near the bottom and I actually have a blister on my right palm from rubbing on the pavement, BUT that's my only "injury."

Icon Mainframe Helmet - Never touched the ground, I held my head up the whole ride through.

Alpinestars SMX- Plus boots - Without these I wouldn't have a right ankle at the moment.

Jeans - Bullhead jeans that I bought for $20 only have torn pocket in the back. It's a nice look though...might start my own line just like them and call it Lowside!

Bike

Lockhart Philips Frame Sliders - Held up better than what most have recorded in the past. But next time it will be Nate's

Front Fairing - torn to shreds. Might be my chance to make it a nekkid!

Levers and Bars - Bent to hell

Subframe - Bent and needs replacement

Frame - Has scratches on it but appears to be fine

Gas Tank - Bye Bye

Rearset - New ones are a must

Forks - Look fine and I cross my fingers that's the case.

So here is where I'm asking for help. With the listed damage...do I fix it myself or should I just claim it? My full coverage for the year is $300 and I don't know how much it would go up if I claimed it. But I know it's gonna cost me a bit to get it back to pristine...so what do I do?

·
Registered
606 Posts
Sell it to us! We buy SV's that get wrecked all the time.

·
site supporter
6,095 Posts
Wo! Glad you're OK after such a high speed road off. Too bad about your SV, but hey, :wink:

Although my washout last week was at a lower speed, I too had no idea it was happening until it was too late, and no real impression about why it happened. I'm considering the quality of my tires as a contributing factor. Can you tell us:
Make
Model
of your rubber?

·
Premium Member
1,583 Posts
Andy I am glad that you are unhurt.
Claim it - why else would you pay for full coverage?

·
Premium Member
6,627 Posts
glad your ok, the bike is totalled, it is only good for a track bike now, the insurance company willl probably give you an offer to buy it back if you want it back

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thejimdaddy said:
glad your ok, the bike is totalled, it is only good for a track bike now, the insurance company willl probably give you an offer to buy it back if you want it back
What determines if it's totalled? Did you see something in my list of damage that makes you think so?

·
Premium Member
6,627 Posts
andylaiphoto said:
thejimdaddy said:
What determines if it's totalled? Did you see something in my list of damage that makes you think so?

yes, anything with a slight amount of damage the insurance company cuts a check for so:

new frame, subframe, rearsets, fairing, gastank, it adds up, it doesn't take much to total a $6K bike

·
Registered
110 Posts
bike definately sounds totalled. Just be glad you're ok though, especially going down at the speed you did. Its a cliche but, it could have been a lot worse.

Just make something good come of it. I went down a couple weeks ago, and although it wasn't my fault, there were definately some things I could have done to avoid it--I guarentee I won't make the same mistake again. Figure out what you did... did you cut the throttle? Abrupt line change? Hit the brake? Whatever it was, you've got a pretty strong reminder to never do it again.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What about insurance rates? I'm with Pacific Specialty...I'm 26 and have never had an accident. Any clue on how it is going to change?

·
Registered
110 Posts
well, it will go up, but probably no more than 30%. If your thinking about paying the repair out of pocket to avoid the increase, consider that accidents stay on your record for a finite period of time (3 years in my state).

So, to answer your question with a question, would you pay 6k out of pocket to avoid an extra $100 insurance premium for the next 3 years?

·
Premium Member
6,627 Posts
Scotch said:
well, it will go up, but probably no more than 30%. If your thinking about paying the repair out of pocket to avoid the increase, consider that accidents stay on your record for a finite period of time (3 years in my state).

So, to answer your question with a question, would you pay 6k out of pocket to avoid an extra $100 insurance premium for the next 3 years?
yes, it makes the most sense, and cents to let them total it, worst case scenerio is they drop you

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm curious as to why you didn't inspect the road afterwards? Or did you? If I went down, I'd be perplexed as hell til I found out what happened. I'd be looking for gravel or some other slick area on the road just to satisfy my curiosity. Knowing that it wasnt completely your fault should make you less tentative the next time u throw your leg over a bike. Glad you are ok.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts