Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I have a 99 sv650 i bought from PO and he didnt have a spare. Wouldnt you know it my laziness of making a spare bit me in the ass...I was wondering what are my options? whats are my cheapest, fastest, and easiest options. Thank you

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Ummmm... I'm assuming you don't mean spare motorcycle. Spare ignition key?

Did you get the owner's manual? There is a spot in it to write down the key serial number, from which you can order another key from Suzuki. Maybe the PO wrote down the number?

Can you still contact the PO? Maybe he has the spare key, or knows the serial number.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
You have a three lock set to deal with -- ignition, fuel filler cap, and passenger seat storage area.

If you have no access to the spare key or the key serial number --

1. Call some Suzuki dealers, and see if they have any suggestions. IIRC, the key serial number is also engraved on the ignition lock somewhere, but I might have that wrong. (You will need a Torx Security type screwdriver to remove the bolts holding the ignition in the upper triple tree.)

2. Call some locksmiths, and see what they can do for you. For obvious reasons, a mobile locksmith who has Suzuki key blanks will be most convenient.

3. If the above yield nothing, look for a used lock set with key(s), and change them out. (A new set is probably a few hundred dollars.)

·
Registered
818 Posts
Your best option may be the seat lock. There is a reasonable chance that the key code is on the locking mechanism. If not, the number is probably accessible on the steering lock. I've retrieved the numbers on other bikes, but not on an SV.

·
Registered
132 Posts
It1 - Keep me posted. I have the same situation (no spare from PO), but haven't been unlucky yet. I really need to get one.

Thanks, and good luck!

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Hey everyone, I have a 99 sv650 i bought from PO and he didnt have a spare. Wouldnt you know it my laziness of making a spare bit me in the ass...I was wondering what are my options? whats are my cheapest, fastest, and easiest options. Thank you
Did you accidentally the whole thing?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Stick playdoh into the ignition hole, then spray hairspray on the whole lockset and inside. Wait until it dries and carefully pull out the playdoh and you'll have an impression of the key! =]

No, but in all seriousness, couldn't the dealer look up the key set/id via the VIN? That's how it works for cars.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts